Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weight of Silver Proof set

I am trying to determine the authenticity of a 1994 Mint Silver Proof Set. I figured if I weighed the plastic holder with the coins inside (penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and half) I could determine that they are indeed silver. Is their anyway to determine if someone opened the case up before and popped the coins out? This purchase did not come with the COA or original box (I purchased for $20) I figured weighing would be the best option - am I wrong to think this? Anyone have any thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Jason

Comments

• Options
    regardless of weight the penny and nickel will not be silver image Just take them out and look at the edge
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    I understand the penny and nickel are not silver... I imagine It would be easier to just pop them out and weigh the dime, quarter, and half dollar. Happen to know a site that list the exact weight on each in silver? Thanks!
  • Options
    try here
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    Qtr. 6.25 grams
    Dime 2.5 grams
    Half 12.5 grams
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    An alternative might be to check the color of the coins. The silver proofs are whiter in color than the clad proofs.
  • Options
    do you own any other silver proof coins? if you do look at them and compare the color of the metal with the set in question. clad proofs have a yellowish color and silver has a more white look to it. if this does not help just pop the case open and take one coin out and look at the edge. clad will show copper on the edge.

edit to add: tightbudget beat me to it. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Place a thin napkin over the case, silver shows through bright white while clad is much darker.

Steve
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have much for proof sets anymore but I do have an 88 clad and two 95 silvers. Each contain the same number of coins. The weight of the inserts may be different over these 7 years.

Weights without box and COA, just the plastic shell and coins.

1988 clad weighed 79.6 grams.
    1995 silver one weighed 80.0 and the other weighed 80.6 grams.

I do not like the close spread but that is what they were. I have a feeling that the 88 insert is heavier that the 95 insert.

Maybe someone with a 95 era clad proof set could get a better weight.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the edges of the coins. The clad ones have the copper stripe. The silver ones do not.

If they are all the same color, you might only have to check one.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but I believe that the 1994 Proof Sets were literally "sealed" at the packaging facility and any attempt to open them would result in damaged plastic or at least a noticeable scar on the edges.

If the package has an original seal, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What color is the cut-out holder within the plastic?
    Who's got one each regular and silver set that can report on the color of the inserts in them?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What color is the cut-out holder within the plastic?
    Who's got one each regular and silver set that can report on the color of the inserts in them?
    TD >>

Silver is Black. Clad should be Green.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What color is the cut-out holder within the plastic?
    TD >>

Silver is Black. Clad should be Green. >>

When I get home from work today I will try and compare to other silver sets, and if no decision I will open them up and check the sides. The inside paper is black.

On the reverse side of the black paper is an circular crease that goes around each coin; is this signs of them being popped out? You guys are great I appreciate all the information given.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Place a thin napkin over the case, silver shows through bright white while clad is much darker.

Steve >>

I've seen people do this with tissue paper; it supposedly works.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>I am trying to determine the authenticity of a 1994 Mint Silver Proof Set. I figured if I weighed the plastic holder with the coins inside (penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and half) I could determine that they are indeed silver. Is their anyway to determine if someone opened the case up before and popped the coins out? This purchase did not come with the COA or original box (I purchased for $20) I figured weighing would be the best option - am I wrong to think this? Anyone have any thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Jason >>

The half dollar will have a total weight of 11.50 grams, with net silver eight of .14792 oz.; quarter total weight 5.75 grams with net silver .0739 oz.; dimes total weight 2.27 grams with net silver .07234 oz.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Place a thin napkin over the case, silver shows through bright white while clad is much darker.

Steve >>

I've seen people do this with tissue paper; it supposedly works. >>

I did this tonight with some white tissue paper I had around the house; to my surprise the nickel had a greyish tint and the half, quarter, and dime were a bright white. I believe my proof set is silver and not clad... woot woot..

Thanks for the info guys
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's faking 1994 Silver Proof sets?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file