Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most proof gold in Japan and500mm in coins concentrated between 2 families .....

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting tidbits in there. Makes me wonder if it's smart to compete with the whales for the coins they want, or to simply wait for them to sell. (It's not like there aren't other great things to buy in the meantime.)

Also, with respect to proof gold, I wonder if the whales know the difference between "original" and "not-so-original" coins. But I suspect that if they've been buying the quantities they are said to be buying, they're clueless on quality, because the right coins are only a small portion of the total population of these issues.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I suspect that if they've been buying the quantities they are said to be buying, they're clueless on quality, because the right coins are only a small portion of the total population of these issues.

good point.

the tenor of the post comes across to me as a marketing tactic to get anyone who is inclined to sell interested in doing so with Legend. after all, it is a "Market(ing) Report" isn't it??

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> But I suspect that if they've been buying the quantities they are said to be buying, they're clueless on quality, because the right coins are only a small portion of the total population of these issues.

good point.

the tenor of the post comes across to me as a marketing tactic to get anyone who is inclined to sell interested in doing so with Legend. after all, it is a "Market(ing) Report" isn't it?? >>

You mean Legend is actually promoting their own firm on their own website?? Oh, the horror!
  • Options
    ...now I know where all the super Franklins have gone image
  • Options
    I do read these articles, and glean some bits of info, but I always find humor at the elitism of the writer. Isnt there anyone reporting at the other or midpart of the spectrum??
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I guess I must be in the "mid - or low - part of the spectrum", since I don't notice these types of buyers at all.

Frankly, if several people were chasing all the MS southern gold out there, I really wouldn't know about it - or care - unless the unsatisfied collectors of higher-grade southern gold moved down into my grade range.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> But I suspect that if they've been buying the quantities they are said to be buying, they're clueless on quality, because the right coins are only a small portion of the total population of these issues.

good point.

the tenor of the post comes across to me as a marketing tactic to get anyone who is inclined to sell interested in doing so with Legend. after all, it is a "Market(ing) Report" isn't it?? >>

I'm not so sure about that. In this market, anyone with decent-looking proof gold would put it up for auction rather than sell it to a dealer. The information in her market report concerning
    proof gold and DMPL Morgans is old news.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    To clarify something that some may have misread:

Laura said: "A serious amount of PR Gold is over in Japan. Its been going there for the last 15-20 years and NONE has resurfaced. We think about 60% of all GEM PR gold is now over there."

I said: "Also, with respect to proof gold, I wonder if the whales know the difference between "original" and "not-so-original" coins. But I suspect that if they've been buying the quantities they are said to be buying, they're clueless on quality, because the right coins are only a small portion of the total population of these issues."

I was not referring to anything other than proof gold. And I would back off on my conclusion if I were told that "60% of all GEM PR gold" meant "60% of all CACable GEM PR gold".
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Gosh, with gold declining a bit after a spectacular run, I can't imagine why sharing this information now is in any way helpful. It may very well be true, and we've seen hoards before. We'll see hoards again.

If I had to hoard soemthing proof gold would be an excellent choice!
  • Options
    60%. No way that is verifiable.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    Wow! And now, I have to figure out what to do with my $40-50 Million now that there is virtually no Choice to Gem Proof Gold to be had! Oh, the agony of it all!!! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    60%. No way that is verifiable.

If it's true, it's verifiable. Just not by you.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>60%. No way that is verifiable.

If it's true, it's verifiable. Just not by you. >>

I dunno. I do live in Japan.
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    I dunno. I do live in Japan.

OK, then. Ask around and let us know what you learn!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting tidbits in there. Makes me wonder if it's smart to compete with the whales for the coins they want, or to simply wait for them to sell. (It's not like there aren't other great things to buy in the meantime.) >>

If you need the coin, you should compete. Who is to say when (or if, in the case of coins in Japan) the coin will ever become available again. And if it does, there will undoubtedly be another whale there waiting to buy it then too.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>60%. No way that is verifiable.

If it's true, it's verifiable. Just not by you. >>

I dunno. I do live in Japan. >>

First you say it's unverifiable, then you imply it is because you live in Japan. Which is it?

Knowing a thing or two about Japan myself, I agree with Mr. Eureka. You will find out absolutely nothing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file