Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who do you think will be the next director of the U.S. Mint?

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
Who do you think will be?

Who do you think should be?

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a COOL JOB! That is a job I would not mind having. Hmmm, what exactly are the job requirements...anyone have any insight? I have my degree in Finance, am a coin collector and have plenty of management experience.

Me me me me me me me! image
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That would be a COOL JOB! That is a job I would not mind having. Hmmm, what exactly are the job requirements...anyone have any insight? I have my degree in Finance, am a coin collector and have plenty of management experience.

Me me me me me me me! image >>

It's not as much of a "job" as it is a political appointment.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it'll be a minority

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...as long as they're coin oriented. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Whelp, my second interview went well........
  • Options

<< <i>...as long as they're coin oriented. >>

It would be neat if they were medal oriented too . . . . can a person be both at once?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...as long as they're coin oriented. >>

It would be neat if they were medal oriented too . . . . can a person be both at once? >>

...SURE WHY NOT!!!??? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about one of our distinguished Forum members such as Coinosaurus, RWB, RYK, or Longacre?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭
    Most likely a political hack with no experience or clue about US coins.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most likely a political hack with no experience or clue about US coins.

>>

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say we bring in some automation

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about one of our distinguished Forum members such as Coinosaurus, RWB, RYK, or Longacre? >>

Dan Carr would be a great choice with his practical experience. At least a certain forum member wouldn't be able to claim he was counterfeiting coins.imageimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I think it would be cool if RWB were it.... Are you interested Roger?

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear Keith Olbermann is looking at something to do.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it would be cool if RWB were it.... Are you interested Roger? >>

...ABSOLUTELY!!! go for it roger!! image
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    ICTA is working closely with a someone who has both a numismatic and political background. Also, former mint director Philip Diehl is getting involved with the Gold and Silver PAC led by Barry Stuppler which is also trying to open a dialogue between our industry and whoever the mint director is.
  • Options
    Whoever deserves it least will get it.
  • Options

<< <i>ICTA is working closely with a someone who has both a numismatic and political background. >>

Interesting! Working in what capacity? Vetting him/her to recommend to the president as a potential candidate ?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nominate Bill Fivaz!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Who do you think will be? Flavor-Flav or Rod Blagojevich

Who do you think should be? RWB or Scrooge McDuck
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanted: Director for US Mint.

Qualifications: Be able to deal with Congress, Beth Deisher, and the PCGS Forum members.
    Know how to manage supply chains in various markets, including steel, zinc, nickel and copper as well as silver and gold.
    Must have web site management skills.

Experience: Must have very, very thick skin.

Note: You must be willing to wait at least 2 years for your appointment to be approved by Congress.

In my opinion, anyone worth the position, wouldn't take it.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a bullion dealer from Goldman Sachs

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Who cares. They will do nothing to try and improve the look of our coinage anyway. But, they will know the best place to put their nose.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well whoever it is needs to look at the prices, last year i got a bag of each of the national parks for 35 bucks, which was really not to bad, just looked and they raised the price for this years bag 49.95 for 25 bucks of actual coins. You Can't get em at the bank but yes the mint will sell them to you.............my bag collecting days are over............image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I think it would be cool if RWB were it.... Are you interested Roger?

Well...I submitted my name. But I have no illusions about appointment. The Directorship is a political plum that will go to someone for party service - possibly an ex-member of Congress, major fund raiser, etc. However, whomever is appointed will face many challenges, and I will do whatever possible to assist in accomplishing those items.
  • Options
    We need a director that will run some good promotions. Like one out of ever 5,000 mint sets will have real gold dollars in them! image
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd certainly whip them into shape.
    I see that the Chief Engraver's position is also now open.
    I could do both jobs simultaneously, and the only thing I'd want for a salary...

is free "souvenirs" image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    The ideal candidate for the position would be a numismatist with business experience, preferably in the manufacturing business, with internet experience.

This job should no longer be just a political plum.

We can just hope that the qualified candidate will be a numismatist.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    What does it pay? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    What does it pay?
    Per year -- less than Ms. Longacre spends at Tiffany's in a week.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The ideal candidate for the position would be a numismatist with business experience, preferably in the manufacturing business, with internet experience.

This job should no longer be just a political plum.

We can just hope that the qualified candidate will be a numismatist. >>

Well, I just don;t see this "political plum" business changing.

As for pay?

Let's see, overseeing the striking of certain coins in high grade along with special provisioning on ceremonial coins/products could certainly payoff over the years. Heck, if Ed Moy were to sell anything he collected while in office, I'm sure a certain "Mint Director's" premium would be associated with the sale.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file