Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 FH half - she's a 9 -7 berries but two leaves. What's up with that??

Per Overton, the O-111 3 leaves is the only one to have the 9-7 distribution of berries. Do my eyes deceive??? On the left I see 7 berries above the wing and two below; on the right I see 6 above and one below.

The obverse to follow...

Comments

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    And (no drum roll necessary) the obv:

• Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Counterfeit. I find no 1795 Overton with only 1 berry under right(facing) wing)
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Looks like an O-109, however there was some work done on the wreath just below the right wing that has removed part of the leaf and the berry that was just a bump on the inside of the wreath.

Everything else matches up with the diagnostics for this die marriage.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah what he said......

or maybe a new die, and die marriage?????????

way to go my friend
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try 109.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like an O-109, however there was some work done on the wreath just below the right wing that has removed part of the leaf and the berry that was just a bump on the inside of the wreath.

Everything else matches up with the diagnostics for this die marriage.

QN >>

Possible plug there?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Possible plug there?

TD >>

That area does correspond to the weak area on the obverse...I believe that may be the answer.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    I initially had her down as O-109, thinking perhaps the berry was removed. The joinder of the leaves to the wing threw me as that is another departure from the 109. But, There are signs of repair in the vicinity. Pretty good work....probably spent some time in Kentucky.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAY I am from Kentucky and have never seen that coin before.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Counterfeit. I find no 1795 Overton with only 1 berry under right(facing) wing) >>

Dale, I don't know my varieties, but that coin sure looks genuine to me.image
  • Options
    There's a talented coin "restorer" in KY. second generation guy who advertises from time to time.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That thing is weird, considering the wear on the reverse, there seems like a lot of "meat" left on it, the rock that the chicken is on is really strong etc. AND the amount of wear on the obv doesn't seem to match the amount on the rev. It looks weird to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file