Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help with a Kennedy...

As I understand it, they didn't make a 1967 "Proof" but had one close to it in an SMS set. I assume this is one of them but the fine file lines on this coin throw me off a little. It's on 100% of the obv. fields and about 95% of the reverse as far as I can tell. Could anyone here pull out their 67 SMS coin and compare it to these pics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    If the lines are raised they are die polish lines.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Yep, die polish. Pretty common on these.

Russ, NCNE
  • mmmm.. never seen lines on one so perfect. They are raised... Looks "semi-proof"
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's from die polish. They should be raised.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• One of my fun sets that I keep around the house due to their low value is PL SMS halves in TPG holders. You can find coins that just missed CAM or a higher grade but still look full proof in TPG holder for near melt. Very cool
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    You coin looks like an SMS to me. My example does not have noticable die polish lines, but it has that same prooflike look. Excuse the lighting and balance, I can't do much except use ambient daylight when taking pictures during the day and it's also done though the plastic window of a 2x2.

• Does it have the files lines on it like my coin....

• << <i>As I understand it, they didn't make a 1967 "Proof" but had one close to it in an SMS set. I assume this is one of them but the fine file lines on this coin throw me off a little. It's on 100% of the obv. fields and about 95% of the reverse as far as I can tell. Could anyone here pull out their 67 SMS coin and compare it to these pics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    image >>

An awful lot of hits on both sides for that to have been in an SMS holder. Looks like someone removed it from the holder and put it into circulation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file