Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for the toned Merc guys.....

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
How common is the color amber (red/pink) from the center moving out to the edge where it is darker for later date Mercury dimes?? I don't have pics but have a chance to buy a sight unseen example with this type of toning. Should I be suspicious that it is AT color? It is graded 65 by ANACS btw. Thanks for your input!

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANACS holder sends up a red flag, no pun intended, but an image would do more than just knowing the holder.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty rare and I would be worried in the ANACS holder as well, although you certainly could tell if ANACS is right or wrong.

The below has some of the characteristics I think I hear you describing. I have seen only a handful of coins that have this toning pattern....and it is 100% real. I have found that when I do see the pinks, that they tend to hover around the devices.

imageimage
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe in the old small ANACS holders.

No problem with them at all.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I have seen one as described. I do know that I have had coins broken out of ANACS holders (old and new) that PCGS claims problems with them and sticks them in Genuine holders. Don't know if its me or them, but I went from having good grading results to not knowing how to grade a coin based on recent results. The last one I had I sent back in after breaking it out of the Genuine holder and sent it in for grading with my next submission and it graded. I basically did this to prove to myself it wasn't me. If it truely was genuine it should have came back genuine agian with the same problem.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got back a coin from PCGS that graded MS62FB. It was in a MS64FB ANACS holder. I checked the coin over with a 10x and 20x glass. It is definitely a 64FB all day long....it has no bad dings in it at all...

BUT the toning is a bit less than favorable soooo I go slammed. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file