Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Whats the market like for Aussie pennies....1911-1936?

I went to my local b&m yesterday and he for sale a partial collection of aussie pennies in a aussie penny album dtd 1911-1936.

tI was missing about 8 dates.

The grades ranged from vf to ef but some had some crud on them.

I bot the set for $150 .....!

Is krause prices high, low, or about right on these?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell you how strong the market is for circ Aussie pennies, but I can tell you that the market for gems is extremely strong. I can also tell you that the Aussies grade their circ coins more strictly than Americans do, so it would not surprise me if the prices provided by Krause's Aussie contributors are a bit out of whack.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a question I oftern think about as well- I suspect GEM Reds and RB examples fetch big money.

Circ examples can be difficult to grade because of striking issues- seriously- they vary by date and I still really am not sure what is expected for the grade. I saw a VERY ATTRACTIVE 1911 today that I probably could have got for $50 or less- had I made the effort-I thought it was an AU coin-I did buy another date for a modest price of $5- I thought it was EF- nice enough for my set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    So which 8 dates are you missing?

I'm missing just 4 overall (1925, 1930, 1946m, & 1959m) to complete my Whitman blue folders, and can check to see if I have any extras you may need - - although most of mine would likely be in the vg to vf range........

- - Daveimage
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So which 8 dates are you missing?

I'm missing just 4 overall (1925, 1930, 1946m, & 1959m) to complete my Whitman blue folders, and can check to see if I have any extras you may need - - although most of mine would likely be in the vg to vf range........

- - Daveimage >>

no 1925 or 1930, but it did have the 46' and 59'.

some dates come with KG and others do not....where do you find KG on the coin...?

same question with Y..?

• << <i>some dates come with KG and others do not....where do you find KG on the coin...? >>

The KG is kind of near the rim halfway between the last A in AUSTRALIA and the tip of the kangaroo's tail.

<< <i>same question with Y..? >>

I suspect what you're looking for here is a dot after PENNY. These were made in Perth, and in a couple of years, the dot was between the K & G or after AUSTRALIA instead.
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    True choice coins (generalising at PCGS MS64RB and above) do very well in the George V series of pennies. Some dates in this period fetch much better prices than others because of either rarity or grade rarity. For example, 1911's and 1936's are two dates that you see quite often so lower UNC coins do not get great prices. That being said the most spectacular George V penny I've seen to date, a raw, full red and flawless 1911 penny sold at auction last year sold for $4000 +, or 3 x catalogue value. Lower grade coins say VF and lower don't trade for much money at all down here, we're talking just a dollar or two a coin for most years, except of course for the 1925 and 1930 and some varieties (like the 1919 double dot and the 1920 plain).

Regarding the set you bought, the 46 even in F is worth $50-$75 so there's half your sets value right there. It's hard to say whether the whole set is worth what you paid without looking at each coin. The 1959M is worth $75-100 in low grade UNC but in circulated condition not really worth anything more than $10.

It's worth noting that PCGS graded coins have really only started to gain traction down here in Australian in the last 3 years and the point made about the differences in the US and Australian grading systems is a well made one. As you'd imagine it's one of the biggest issues that a lot of Aussie collectors and dealers have with TPG coins. I loathe the fact that some people (mostly Australian internet coin dealers) have assigned a 1 to 1 conversion between our grading system and that of PCGS as you would well know it is far more complex than that. I've seen PCGS XF45 coins that would grade aVF to VF, AU 50's as VF to aEF and so on. The biggest bone of contention is in the MS grades, MS64 coins (imho) grading from either base UNC to GEM (in some years) while some people just call all MS64's Gems, which is farcical. It's all very interesting and if you're buying coins from Australians you should make at least some effort to determine what grading system they happen to be applying.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Searching "penny set" on ebay Australia (ebay.com.au) in the Coins/Australian/Predecimal category results in a number of near complete sets in average conditions. Go to "completed listings" to see prices they have previously sold for.

Link
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought 10kg lots of them, 1912-64 from sellers and found some semi key dates, mintmarks before. Now I might wanna sell them in the future - just too many coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I guess I made out. A year ago I bought a complete Dansco album date set 1911 thru 1953 with a few more in the 60's No 1930 of course, but with 1920, 1925, nice 1946, 1959 all for $50. All were at least VF many thru AU's. The dealer had loads of U.S. albums with a few coins in each, but this was a foreign set and full. He said he had no idea what it was worth. When he said $50 I grabbed it.
    I think it worked out to just less then a dollar a coin!

Krueger
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    That is an awesome bargain Kreuger!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    Bidask:

So what other dates are you missing? I can check to see if I have any extras of any dates you need.

- - Daveimage

<< <i>Bidask:

So what other dates are you missing? I can check to see if I have any extras of any dates you need.

- - Daveimage >>

appreciate it but now I am having buyer remorse cause Krueger got his so cheap.....

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect I would make you feel better if you knew what I paid for someimageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>I guess I made out. A year ago I bought a complete Dansco album date set 1911 thru 1953 with a few more in the 60's No 1930 of course, but with 1920, 1925, nice 1946, 1959 all for $50. All were at least VF many thru AU's. The dealer had loads of U.S. albums with a few coins in each, but this was a foreign set and full. He said he had no idea what it was worth. When he said $50 I grabbed it.
    I think it worked out to just less then a dollar a coin!

Krueger >>

That was one heck of a deal, since a decent (US VF-XF range) 1925 can average around $100-$175. I'd buy those sets all day long for $50 each!

A few years back I put together my own hoard of 1925's, picking them up whenever a nice one presented itself. Recently sold them off, one at a time, (keeping the best one for my Dansco set). I think they averaged about $160-$180 each.

So, does this guy have any more??? image