Home U.S. Coin Forum

A question for a Crazy-hound-dog!!-----Un-freakin'-believable update.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, I was looking at some Lots in the Stack's auction and was all set to place a respectable bid on this Gem '31-S until i noticed the "Minimum Bid" which is somewhere in the ridiculous stratosphere!! What's that all about, any clue?? I mean, the coin is nice, but that a silly premium for attractive tone wouldn't you say?

Al H.

Comments

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one SUPER CLEAN MS65. Definetly a multi point upgrade.

Grey sheet MS65 bid for a 1931-S 5c is $235 Stack's reserve is $3,850.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic looking coin.

Not $3,850 fantastic, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so i'm not alone in my surprise at the bid required to win the coin??!!?? certainly it's nice, but is it one-grade-higher-six-times-guide nice?? i just referenced off the PCGS price guide, what's current GreySheet for this coin?
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    No way that coin is worth anywhere that amount in that slab in this current market.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not in a slab -- it's raw. I know Stacks still sells raw coins in auction but this one seems rather strange. From the images, MS65 may be a bit conservative but why doesn't the owner get it graded before having it auctioned? I can't see that reserve ever being met on a raw 31-S. I would like to see it in hand though.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• IMO it isn't no where near worth that. What was your bid going to be, maybe
    500. if you really wanted it??
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's there for one particular whale they're working...or it's a mistake.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the price is correct and the coin is consigned then it appears to me that they are doing the consignor no favors.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

What was your bid going to be, maybe 500. if you really wanted it??

i was going to mark it at $375 and see what happened since i can't bid during the auction(work is such an inconvenience!!). i had figured it would sell around at $600 tops w/juice .
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure don't have the answer. It's beautiful yes, for sure one of the nicest looking 31-s buffs I've seen. But the price is WAY out there and stacks gives no reason for this. It's a raw coin on top of all else said. I don't know...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    imageimage

Here's my 31-s with some wild color, the strike is nowhere near the stacks coin....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Very nice 31-S with a very strong strike for the date, especially on the obverse.
    MS-66? Maybe.
    $3,850? My pockets aren't that deep but if they were I still wouldn't go there.
    There are plenty of opportunities to get a nice 31-s in MS-65 for less than 10% of that but it will be a challenge to find one that well struck.

<< <i>Very nice 31-S with a very strong strike for the date, especially on the obverse.
    MS-66? Maybe.
    $3,850? My pockets aren't that deep but if they were I still wouldn't go there.
    There are plenty of opportunities to get a nice 31-s in MS-65 for less than 10% of that but it will be a challenge to find one that well struck. >>

The strike on this piece is the nicest, strongest I have ever seen for the date, the price for this "raw" Buff is the highest I have ever seen and would not even consider buying anywhere near the asking price. But with that being said, I agree with Diamond back that it would be a challenge to find a 31-s as well struck as the one Stacks is offering.....image
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    I question the color on this coin ... it is a nice strike but I believe ... no grade !
    ed rodrigues
    the coin is bid to $7,600 with the reserve not met. i have to watch this one!!image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Lot Activity: 2 Bidders
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the coin is bid to $7,600 with the reserve not met. i have to watch this one!!image >>

You have to just sit back and laugh at this one.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Nuclear bids, maybe a decimal point error? I could see that on the listing but not the bids.......
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    That is one of the cleanest 31s nickels I have ever seen! But 7k+??? And the reserve is not been met.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
    I just wonder if there's something about this piece were not seeing? That is one hell of an offer with the reserve not met! What's up??
    David W. Lange says this about the 31-s Buffalo Nickel....The 1931-S buffalo nickel is to the series what the 1950-D is to the Jefferson series. It seems to be at least as common in mint state as it is in lesser grades, possible more so. The typical 31-s nickel has excellent luster, and some are blazing beauties. There are many examples of this issue carrying high grades....... With that being said, what's up with this RAW coin?????
    I just wonder if there's something about this piece were not seeing? That is one hell of an offer...............................

well, my presumption with this date is that before the entire mintage could be fully dispersed the economy started to really go south. the result is that many were probably hoarded by collectors and the result these many years later is this coin and others like it, but that's probably understood by most collectors. as for the bid price, perhaps we're not understanding that the bidder(s) has seen the coin in-hand and knows what they are bidding on. going by the PCGS price guide this looks OK for an MS66+++ grade. in-hand is always best, and the coin looks quite nice on my screen. i'm still sort of surprised.

<< <i>I just wonder if there's something about this piece were not seeing? That is one hell of an offer...............................

well, my presumption with this date is that before the entire mintage could be fully dispersed the economy started to really go south. the result is that many were probably hoarded by collectors and the result these many years later is this coin and others like it, but that's probably understood by most collectors. as for the bid price, perhaps we're not understanding that the bidder(s) has seen the coin in-hand and knows what they are bidding on. going by the PCGS price guide this looks OK for an MS66+++ grade. in-hand is always best, and the coin looks quite nice on my screen. i'm still sort of surprised. >>

Okay, MS-66+++++++++ But this coin is still raw and Stacks has it at MS-65. So at this point these people that have seen this coin in hand must be very, very confident in their grading skills. I'm not $7 Gs "that good".....image
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I see only one small tick on it (on the number three in the date, bottom) .... other than that, if the rest is devoid of any unseen blemishes, this is an ms68 coin .... imho .... too pricy for me, but......

Also, is that a reflection on the back of his neck or doubling?
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please note, when it is a day or two before the auction, Stack's computer automatically increases the "current bid" to slightly below whatever the reserve is. So the first "bid" might have been set at half of the reserve, and the current "bid" might be slightly below what the reserve is. In other words, it is possible that NO ONE is bidding on this lot, and the "bids" are merely applying reserve amounts twice.

As to why the reserve is so high, the coin might be owned by a non-collector or heir of a collector that is sure that the coin is spectacular. Heritage sold an MS-67 1931-S nickel in June 2010 for $8,625. A non-collector might assume, well, my nickel is as nice as that one, I will set a reserve near $8,000. Could happen. The auction house would try to convince the consignor that the reserve was way too high, but maybe the consignor thinks he/she knows everything and is not willing to listen to advice from professionals who have been doing auctions for many years.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• capecape Posts: 1,621
    I haven't seen this coin in hand ... but maybe the image isn't showing a rainbow ring around the toning. Again.... nobody seems to be listening to me ... I feel this coin has questionable toning and this is why it isn't graded . I have seen the only 67's in hand and this coin does have as nice a strike.image
    ed rodrigues
  • least we forget that anyone can ask any price they want for any given coin ; no matter how pathetically exorbitant that price may be .......

and we are not supposed to find fault with that
  • AT? Possible.
    MS-67? Seems too high for me, but who knows.

If the seller expects to fetch MS-67 money for this buffalo, why not make the "small" investment in getting an opinion from a reputable TPG?
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at blown up pictures of both sides of the coin. There are large amounts of planchet marks/flaws on the central portion of the devices on both sides of the coin. Too bad that they were not eliminated during the striking of the coin. Further, there are numerous marks, dings, rim nicks on the coin [probably very small, but with the large image they are noticeable].

I really like the look of this coin, however the Stacks picture of same does not cause my jaw to drop and drool to drip out of my mouthimage.

It will be interesting to see if this coin sells and if so, at what price.

<< <i>I haven't seen this coin in hand ... but maybe the image isn't showing a rainbow ring around the toning. Again.... nobody seems to be listening to me ... I feel this coin has questionable toning and this is why it isn't graded . I have seen the only 67's in hand and this coin does have as nice a strike.image >>

image I hear ya, must be a reason this coin has NOT been graded. The details are lacking on the knot on the braid....No way a 67....The reverse is quite strong.

I looked at blown up pictures of both sides of the coin. There are large amounts of planchet marks/flaws on the central portion of the devices on both sides of the coin. Too bad that they were not eliminated during the striking of the coin. Further, there are numerous marks, dings, rim nicks on the coin [probably very small, but with the large image they are noticeable].

I also see these flaws....On the jaw bone of Iron Tail...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file