Home U.S. Coin Forum

Adjustment marks on this 1811 Half Eagle

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
This coin looks sharp for the exception of the adjustment marks towards the bottom left. It appears they have also effected the lettering on the reverse.

Goldbugs, how much does this effect its value and desirability?

1811 Half Eagle

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    omg, stay away, very far away.
    Always think to yourself when buying, or considering...will I be able to sell it and not have to explain something about it. jmho.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. Problems don't get better with time.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are mint made adjustment marks which are a part of the manufacturing process really considered a problem? I consider them in the same category as weak strikes---not desireable but if I can get the coin at a good price I'll consider it for purchase.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with PerryHall.

Adjustment marks, like weak strike, are part of the minting process and not technically a "problem", per se. Of course they do subtly affect the eye appeal and subsequent value of a coin. It's really a matter of degree- how strong/deep the marks are, and where they're located, and how much they bother you.

In this case, the marks do not really bother me at all, personally. That is a very desirable coin, marks or no marks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no expert but the adjustment marks on this coin do not bother me. They are not on a focal point nor are they deep. To me, the coin looks attractive from the images.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the adjustment marks. To me, that is one freaking nice coin. Makes me think of when I bought that nice type set of early gold...all in OGH holders. What a great day.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the grading services silently market grade coins with heavy adjustment marks down? An AU coin with heavy adjustment marks may only be worth XF45 money so will it or should it be graded XF45?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with EA. Many early gold coins can be found with some degree of mint-made adjustment marks. Some exhibit small, localized patches, like AJ's example; while some show extensive, detracting marks. Personally, the marks on AJ's example are not that bothersome. Would I be willing to pay a premium price for it? Probably not, but I wouldn't expect to get it at a 20% discount either. If that small patch of adjustment marks is the coin's only "issue" (hard to say by pics alone), then I wouldn't mind paying a normal market price for an 1811 HE in PCGS XF-45.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The adjustment marks on that coin do not bother me.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The adjustment marks on that coin do not bother me. >>

agree
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    It's already going for more than previous examples in XF.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pass. Problems don't get better with time. >>

Adjustment marks were part of the minting process. This is a splendid coin with the mint luster you don't see on today's overdipped AU early gold.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minor adjustment marks do not detract from it, and the real experts recognize that and will bid accordingly. That's a neat, genuinely scarce coin that will not go cheap.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

• << <i>

<< <i>Pass. Problems don't get better with time. >>

Adjustment marks were part of the minting process. This is a splendid coin with the mint luster you don't see on today's overdipped AU early gold. >>

I too think it is a great coin and a welcome additional to any cabinet but I dont think it will go cheep or anything close to a bargain. I will use myself as an example; We all know I like cool coins and I buy plenty with good if not great money but if I could train myself to buy more coins like that one at stronger prices and buy/sell off the bargain coins to save up money, I feel my collection would be better off for it.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are mint made adjustment marks which are a part of the manufacturing process really considered a problem? I consider them in the same category as weak strikes---not desireable but if I can get the coin at a good price I'll consider it for purchase. >>

I consider adjustment marks to be a problem. This is not the time to be buying problem coins.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>

<< <i>Are mint made adjustment marks which are a part of the manufacturing process really considered a problem? I consider them in the same category as weak strikes---not desireable but if I can get the coin at a good price I'll consider it for purchase. >>

I consider adjustment marks to be a problem. This is not the time to be buying problem coins. >>

While I dont agree with him as long as the marks are off the focal points you should take note that a portion of the collecting public feels this way.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how much does this effect its value and desirability?

As for value, I'd say the adjustment marks make the coin worth about 10% less than an otherwise identical coin. And that precisely answers the question of "desirability" in the marketplace. However, the more important question is, how desirable is the coin to you? (Chances are that if you had to ask if the coin is desirable, you don't desire it all that much. But I'll let you tell us.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

• << <i>As for value, I'd say the adjustment marks make the coin worth about 10% less than an otherwise identical coin. >>

I was thinking of the exact same figure (not surprising, maybe, since it's such a nice round number).

As for this observation by the OP:

<< <i>It's already going for more than previous examples in XF. >>

Unless you've seen this piece and the previous examples you are comparing it to in hand, I would be careful about drawing any conclusions about what those results mean. Sometimes there are very good reasons why one coin sells for more than another of the same type and grade, and sometimes there is no reason at all.
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    The adjustment marks are not a distraction for me.

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I like that one!! she looks to have been net graded. Sometimes a lil adjustment adds character.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a neat coin, the marks and design weakness must be factored into the price, of course

How simple life must be for some! "Not Perfect, Pass" is just so easy to say! it makes one sound like a real coinesseur!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file