Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is that on these coins?

I was going through my NGC graded ASE and noticed discoloring on one and a spot on another that I am about 99.9% sure was not there when I look at the last. It has been over a year since I took these out of the bank to look through these.
What could cause the spot and the discoloring?

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top pic looks like chocolate milk spots. I can't see anything in the bottom 2 pics.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • If you look at the edge of the coins in the holders you can see the discoloration starting.

The coin with the spot is graded a MS69. The spot is most definately not on the holder. It is on the coin.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spot on the 1st reverse shot doesn't look healthy based on the image.

The obverse and reverse of the 2nd ASE look like toning is forming on the rims.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look at the edge of the coins in the holders you can see the discoloration starting.

The coin with the spot is graded a MS69. The spot is most definately not on the holder. It is on the coin. >>

I dont think he is accusing you of spilling chocolate milk on the holder, rather referring to "milk spots" that form on the coins surface-----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares?

It's modern.............................image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That spot looks like tarnish and has no effect on the bullion value of this coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• These are bullion and imho are not appropriate for grading anyway. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These are bullion and imho are not appropriate for grading anyway. image >>

People who submit these coins to be graded are looking for the MS70 grade which does carry a premium in the marketplace.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like nature found that .1% copper. It happens. As it is just bullion, no big deal. But the spot certainly spoils the look.

The tarnish developing at the rim on coin #2 is the onset of toning. Something about its environment is causing it. In a couple of decades it may be quite pretty. Or ugly. But it will still be silver bullion.
    Lance.

• << <i>

<< <i>These are bullion and imho are not appropriate for grading anyway. image >>

People who submit these coins to be graded are looking for the MS70 grade which does carry a premium in the marketplace. >>

I am well aware of that fact. I will say it again : These are bullion and imho are not appropriate for grading anyway.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

People who submit these coins to be graded are looking for the MS70 grade which does carry a premium in the marketplace. >>

and MS69s don't carry much premium.

it's some kind of tarnish.

welcome to the wide, wide wonderful world of spotted silver.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file