Home U.S. Coin Forum

1982 Proof set Treasury Mint coin

I was looking through a 1983 Proof set and ran across something that I had never really paid attention to. It is the Treasury coin.
Very nice looking coin. Were any of these ever graded? If so, what are they considered?

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect mint set tokens and include the ones added to the '82 proof sets as such. Of course
    this was is remarkably common since there might be only one collector for them. image

Some of these tokens are extremely difficult to find.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I have seen the thin metal and even the plastic tokens in other mint sets, but never a nicely struck token like this one. I realize that it most likely was done since the holder still had the slot of the SBA dollar.

There was not information in the COA of what it was even made of.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen the thin metal and even the plastic tokens in other mint sets, but never a nicely struck token like this one. I realize that it most likely was done since the holder still had the slot of the SBA dollar.

There was not information in the COA of what it was even made of. >>

Some of the foreign sets have really nice and really choice metal tokens. The modern
    Russian mint sets spring to mind. Most of these even had a couple or three tokens in
    them. I can't think of any others that are so large (and metal) or that are proof how-
    ever.

These are the same size and weight as the SBA. They're most probably bronze. It's
    a wonder a few don't show up in circulation but I've never heard of it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • That makes sense. Thank you for the info! Pretty nice in my opinion. They could have done plastice or just left it blank.

Could have been a predicesor to the current golden dollar image
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I have around a couple hindred of these if anybody wants them please PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file