Home Precious Metals
Options

Old Taiwanese gold bar value?

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if an old style Taiwanese gold bar has any more worth than it's melt. It has 1.000 in a Taiwanese measuring scale stamped on the front but it weighs more than 1 oz, if I remember correctly it's closer to 1.6 oz. It's passed down from my grandfather and I'll get pictures if needed next time I go to the SDB

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering if an old style Taiwanese gold bar has any more worth than it's melt. It has 1.000 in a Taiwanese measuring scale stamped on the front but it weighs more than 1 oz, if I remember correctly it's closer to 1.6 oz. It's passed down from my grandfather and I'll get pictures if needed next time I go to the SDB >>

The "1.0000" is probably the fineness.
    Might be a 50 gram bar, which would be very close to 1.6 tr. oz.
    FWIW, when we brokered that large gold bar collection a year ago we ended up melting most of the oriental bars, because we could not find anybody willing to pay over melt for them.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was wondering if an old style Taiwanese gold bar has any more worth than it's melt. It has 1.000 in a Taiwanese measuring scale stamped on the front but it weighs more than 1 oz, if I remember correctly it's closer to 1.6 oz. It's passed down from my grandfather and I'll get pictures if needed next time I go to the SDB >>

The "1.0000" is probably the fineness.
    Might be a 50 gram bar, which would be very close to 1.6 tr. oz.
    FWIW, when we brokered that large gold bar collection a year ago we ended up melting most of the oriental bars, because we could not find anybody willing to pay over melt for them.
    TD >>

No, my grandfather said something about it being one "tailiang" which is close to one "liang" which is the Chinese measurement.

Maybe I'll post a photo for the heck of it,

Thanks Capt image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

No, my grandfather said something about it being one "tailiang" which is close to one "liang" which is the Chinese measurement.

Maybe I'll post a photo for the heck of it,

Thanks Capt image >>

Tailang might have been "Tael"? That's another indo-asian weight used in bullion. In the PRC, a tael = 50 grams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tael
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that I would trust any Chinese silver or gold bars considering all the counterfeits that have been coming out of China these days.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I wouldn't buy one no matter how cool it was. But if I had one and was trying to determine its value, etc.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'll snap some pictures when I get it and possibly bring it to a jewelers to get it tested.

It was passed down to my brother and me along with some 24kt gold jewelry. I'm pretty sure the jewelry is real gold since it's malleable and I accidentally bent one.

I believe it was bought sometime in the 50's or possibly earlier.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's stuff like this that makes an old-fashioned Ohaus triple-beam balance you can do a specific gravity on invaluable.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.