Home U.S. Coin Forum

Classical Music For Coin Lovers

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is really depressing me. It's almost as boring as Barber coinage.

Can anyone recommend anything better?

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    OUCH!!!
    dis my Barbers.
    I'm a fan of Bartok.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Knoxville: Summer of 1915, or Prokoviev 2nd Symphony, Ives' 4th Symphony or Country Band March....there's always Respighi or Rachmaninov Symphony #1.....Or maybe just Pennies from Heaven....? Bartok's Miraculious Mandarin
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the later Rachmaninoff stuff. But I think I will borrow a copy of the symphony #1 CD from the local library, that is a good suggestion.

Interestingly, wikipedia notes that symphony no. 1 was actually lost and later reconstructed from individual parts that survived.

Bob Julian is a an expert on Russian coinage.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Igor Stravinsky's "The firebird" and......
    Alexander Borodin's "Prince Igor" Polovetsian dances.

• Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony is much better than his first. The Firebird is great but the opening of Petroushka is simply envigorating. Also, don't forget Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe, Suite #2 for a masterpiece of the 20th Century. It will take you anywhere and everywhere you want to go.
  • Seeing as how you don't appreciate coinage that looks Classical (Barber coins have a very Greco-Roman appearance), I must assume you have questionable tastes in general. Therefore, I will suggest some music for you that is equally "un"-Classical, and should be more in line with your questionable taste:

Kanye West

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    >>Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is really depressing me. It's almost as boring as Barber coinage>>

the trough gets a bit lower......ever catalogued Lodz ghetto currency while listening to Morrissey?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Mahler!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of hard to go wrong with Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, especially #3.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I'm looking through $375.00 in cents and Pink Floyd is sooooo relaxing. Specifically...The Delicate Sound of Thunder double albumimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest Baroque. When I was a collector, I often was baroque. imageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piano music of the Romantic Era,.......... Debussey, Chopin

But I'm always up for some Rush as well!
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Martin has a new banjo album out, that should suit your refined tastes. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shostakovich symphony #5, Sibelius violin concerto, Ralph Vaugn Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you find Barber music and coins are boring, I'd suggest taking a walk on the Darkside.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the music suggestions are modern cr**... I'm with lordmarcovan and RichieURich when they suggest baroque, but I'd further suggest Vivaldi. If you absolutely MUST go with something more modern, try some Rossini (but not the operas, oh god no). Sins of my Old Age or any of the string or wind quartets are wonderful to listen to while searching rolls.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • You guys are all wrong, WRONG! I say.

The original version of Barber's Adagio for Strings was written for string quartet, and in that form it is only boring after the fifth hearing on the same day. Hear it performed by a robust group like The Emerson.

Stravinsky? Must go with Le Sacre du Printemps (I'm a bad enough speller in English. . .), with Lenny or any other forceful conductor, just not Stravinsky himself (he actually made his piece boring: as a Philly Orchestra brat, I watched him rehearse and then perform his masterwork and he looked bored doing it! No animation, head in the score the whole time, beating time like a worn out metronome). There's good reason the first performance caused a riot with the police called in, multiple arrests and many minor injuries. The riot started in mid-performance when over-enthusiastic patrons, and again, this is at the first hearing of the piece, started beating the chairs in front of them with whatever they had at hand, canes, paralols, their fists, with little attention to the people sitting in those seats.

But for the singular composition of the 20th Century, there is no comparison to the Eighth String Quartet of Shostakovich, the Emerson's recording. What an emotional rollar-coaster it is.

Or perhaps Ginestera's contribution to a group of 12 pieces written by 12 different composers in honor of Paul Sacher's Birthday (I think it was for his birthday somewhere around 1960?). The Ginestera is the last of the 12 and the performance I have in mind, forget any other, is Alex Ezerman's graduation recital. Needless to say I have no connection to that performance whatsoever but even so, halfway through its eight minutes I can not remain seated and have to conduct my own personal riot, stomping around and gesticulating like a mad man.

Just another boring classical piece of music. . . Rob, who stoutly believes enjoying the riches of classical music is not unrelated to unjoying the whole spectrum of US classical coins, that is, from the earliest through the Ike era.
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • For relaxing, easy listening, you can't go wrong with Grieg in the hands of a pianist who has a feel for it (some day, I will master Wedding Day at Troldhaugen).

If you are really looking for something absorptive, go opera. Spend a day with Boris Godunov. Spend a day with Il Trittico. Spend a month with Wagner's Ring.

merse

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Led Zeppelin works for me but If I have to go classical I go with Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass

Other classics that go with coins well are, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Heart, Talking Heads, Pink Floyd, The Cars, etc., I got my own itunes Jukebox running as I type this and My Shuffle just brought up Elton John.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nonboring classical music:

Beethoven 7th Symphony
    Respighi Pine of Rome and Fountains of Rome
    Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet Fantasy-Overture
    Mahler 7th
    Horowitz playing Scriabin piano music

Wagner! Try the Ride of the Valkyries with all eight women singing those parts usually played by orchestra
    Or Entrance of the Gods Into Valhalla
    Birgit Nilsson singing Brunnhilde's Immolation
    The beginning of Rheingold, since we're nothing if not coin-related here!
    Stravinsky Rite of Spring, Pulcinella
    Maria Callas recordings, mostly pre-1955
    Richard Strauss: Deborah Voigt singing Ariadne; Natalie Dessay as Zerbinetta
    Jussi Bjoerling singing anything!
    Orff: Carmina Burana

Oh yeah: Weill's Threepenny Opera ("Where did 'Mack the Knife' come from?)

Buona fortuna!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone recommend anything better?

Debussy.
  • I would rather listen to the likes of Billie Holiday or Mississippi John Hurt, but when the mood strikes a Puccini aria or some Satie works for me.image
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    The Beatles.
    Dr. Pete
  • Limp Bizkit; My Way:

My Way
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirvana. Metallica.

<< <i>Most of the music suggestions are modern cr**... I'm with lordmarcovan and RichieURich when they suggest baroque, but I'd further suggest Vivaldi. If you absolutely MUST go with something more modern, try some Rossini (but not the operas, oh god no). Sins of my Old Age or any of the string or wind quartets are wonderful to listen to while searching rolls. >>

In true Classical music I do indeed prefer the Baroque. Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann. I enjoy the Romantic era greats like Beethoven and Brahms but there's something about the airiness of a nice Baroque allegro that lifts my spirits. Even the slower stuff like Pachelbel's canon is contemplative and serene.

To keep it numismatic, which I often do when listening to early music, it's fun to imagine the coins that Bach or Handel might have carried and spent.

For those who mentioned The Beatles- hey, you're not so wrong, really. I'm firmly convinced that the Beatles will be considered "classical music" in the century to come, and beyond.

And to prove how eclectic I am...yep, I like Metallica too, in small doses.

As far as the "modern crap" goes, though, Tull is tops for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Try The Traveling Wilbury's Volume 1. Great stuff.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELO and Boston is classical to meimage
    I like ELO too. image

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture for a few copper weenies and many DarkSide collectors of European coinage.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZZ top legs when I am looking at a beautiful walker

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to pop on "Sunrise" from "Also sprach Zarathustra" (theme from "2001: A Space Odyssey") by Richard Strauss when opening up my PCGS submissions.

Then pour a glass of merlot and take in the beauty of the toned gems with "An der schönen blauen Donau" (On the Beautiful Blue Danube) by Johann Strauss II in the background.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    The guitar of Mark Knopler. Classical Modern!
    ED

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file