Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp sample slabs, a PCGS type 2 and a PCGS type 3.5

toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all,
I just picked up these 2 older sample type PCGS slabs and thought I would share. The first one is a type 2 holder with an MS64 1964 Roosevelt, basically a rattler with a plastic border that surrounds the holder. The letters PCGS are on the plastic border, not on the slab.

The second one I believe to be a type 3.5 with an MS65 1964-D Roosevelt. The label does not have any of the serrated edges of the type 2 and has nice rounded corners. It too is basically a rattler type holder inside the plastic border which has been added, and the letters PCGS are on the border surrounding the rattler.

I am curious how difficult the type 3.5 sample is to find. I have read with interest the posts comparing the relative rarity of the doily to the 3.5 as far as graded coins go. I am curious if I made a good find.

Thanks,
George image

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous acquisition, George.

I have seen the PCGS 3.5 for the 1963, 1963-D, 1964, 1964-D roosie dimes, but I have not seen the one with the 1963 dime in over 10 years. These seem to be quite scarce, whether a sample or the general production run.

The older PCGS 2 is more common but more noticeably different than the PCGS so they enjoy greater demand for them making them more equal to the PCGS 3.5 price-wise than one would expect based on supply alone.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file