Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rare "Coin Book" Shopping Tonight

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, not tooo far from me is supposed to be the largest New & Used Book Store in the state of Florida. For some reason I have never been in there...anyway, decided to go have a look-see this evening. They had many first edition books autographed, rare books, old books, books behind protective glass etc... I was actually looking for the Early Untied States Dimes 1796-1837: A Reference Book of Their Types, Varieties, and Rarity and I was hoping to "pick it" if they had it. They did not have it but they had some older(not too old) Red Books and other stuff. One of the books I came across that was behind glass was the following: I did not get a chance to take a look at it since I was there just before closing so I might go back tomorrow...sorry for the crappy iPhone 3GS photos through the glass but it was all I could do... Looks like a book that should be in Longacre's Study....or mine. image

I did a quick search for the book online and came across this eBay Auction for one last October but the book looks like it is in terrible shape:
eBay Auction from October

Greg
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• If you won't be buying it will you please pm me the stores phone number or name or something so I can buy that?

Thanks

Greg
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will likely go down there tomorrow to take a GOOD look at it. It might be that crappy condition book from eBay....just in a new binding. I will be happy to report back on my decision and analysis of the book. Greg, you will get the first opportunity at it if I do not buy it. I highly doubt I will. It would eat up a lot of my monthly coin budget.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are perhaps hundreds of different books of that era (and much, much earlier) that illustrate the circulating coins of the world, often providing weights and exchange rates. They were the everyday tools of moneychangers and bankers around the world. I'm sure some are very common and others are very rare - I'm not an expert on them - but most tend to bring in the range of $100-300. The one you found was most likely rebound in an extravagant binding in recent years, and I'm sure it looks more valuable than it is.

Anyway, whether you buy it or not, if this one turns you on for any reason beyond the binding, you should consider collecting them. They're incredibly cool things for the money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277

<< <i>I will likely go down there tomorrow to take a GOOD look at it. It might be that crappy condition book from eBay....just in a new binding. I will be happy to report back on my decision and analysis of the book. Greg, you will get the first opportunity at it if I do not buy it. I highly doubt I will. It would eat up a lot of my monthly coin budget. >>

Appreciate it. If it's garbage inside then obviously it'll be a no buy. Looking forward to your report if you end up going there

Thanks!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file