Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let the board grade this 23-S quarter.

Comments

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I'll grade G-06 since I've seen several like this in holders where only 1 digit shows. I think that's why the frustration came out on the holder/grade since the details are much much higher then a "Good" grade.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link.

I'll guess 10.
    Lance.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    How strange...
  • I see these in VF-20 and F-15 holders all the time. I have a 21 in VF-30 that looks just like that.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Well, it's difficult to grade coins from pictures. And with that low-resolution picture, it's impossible.
    From what I hear on this forum, the almost-completely worn out date is what holds that coin down.

If you want a real PCGS grade on that coin, it's going to have to be submitted.
    That coin is essentially a 'Genuine'.

The drilled out slab should be a clue that the coin is not what the seller says it is.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭
    G6.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I agree, G6, and the seller got PO'd, and figured no grade was better than the one that showed-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Just reviewed the pics of my set (which was sold several years ago). The lowest gade was F15, and it had full date and VF20's all had real full dates. That is one of the reasons I stayed away from lower grades but you can get a lot of detail w/o a lot of date on the "raised" years. I would pay below fine money. Maybe with better pics there is more there??
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS can run a query on the "852" and 23-S quarter. Hopefully there wouldn't be that many hits and the assigned grade could be identified.

Any chance PCGS?

Joe.
  • G-6
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    These type I's are supposed to be graded almost exclusively on the date, even if it has VF details overall, it may have been graded only G4.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These type I's are supposed to be graded almost exclusively on the date, even if it has VF details overall, it may have been graded only G4. >>

I am pretty sure that it is the opposite.

The date of the "raised" date SLQ's were subject to immediate wear and the wear on the date is of less consequence for the grade of a "raised" date SLQ than the recessed date SLQ's. This coin should grade at least F if not a low end VF IMO.

Joe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file