Home U.S. Coin Forum

unclad 1992 quarter but why?

Okay. So I understand the purpose of the abuse this coin took, but isn't there a better way to determine if it truly is a legit unclad coin?

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch!
    Tempus fugit.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    back of washingtons head, is that dropped reeding-did I not just see a post about that?
    and also why no clad layer-beyond me but it doesnt look faked, but wtf do I know-COOL THOUGH image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ouch! >>

Ed
  • You need to ask Fred W. about that coin.
    I'm sure he can help you.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just like to know what they used at the back of his head.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would just like to know what they used at the back of his head. >>

Vibroetching tool.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a missing clad error in my opinion. The strike is much too strong to be missing clad. You would definitely see much weakness on the strike if this were a missing clad error.

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Hey, its a Washie struck on a half cent planchetimage-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a missing clad error in my opinion. The strike is much too strong to be missing clad. You would definitely see much weakness on the strike if this were a missing clad error. >>

I've had and sold one of these and I remember it having a pretty sharp strike. But I didn't think of it til now. It's possible that the coin was struck after losing it's clad layer.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would just like to know what they used at the back of his head. >>

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not a missing clad error in my opinion. The strike is much too strong to be missing clad. You would definitely see much weakness on the strike if this were a missing clad error. >>

I've had and sold one of these and I remember it having a pretty sharp strike. But I didn't think of it til now. It's possible that the coin was struck after losing it's clad layer.

Leo >>

Missing clad on both obverse AND reverse would have resulted in a very weak strike.

IMO, the coin was either copper plated or its a wrong metal planchet. But then the question is: what planchet would it be?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wellllll.......
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I run into these sorts of coins several times a year. Evidently they come from the same source as they're all marked by a vibrating engraver that leaves a letter, number, or inscrutable symbol in the metal. "Pure copper" quarters and nickels are the most frequent target. Dates run from the 1960's to 2001, at a minimum. The creator is/was quite prolific.

Some are normal quarters/nickels plated outside the Mint while others are truly superb struck counterfeits. As far as the latter go, there's always something odd about them (apart from the engraved symbol). The color might be off, or the reeding absent, or there are unexpected raised anomalies. The weight is usually close to a normal quarter. If you scrape the rim with a scalpel, the underlying metal deviates from copper but is not quite what you'd expect of copper-nickel clad material. If you look at the engraved "F", the exposed metal is a dark gray. That's pretty typical. All in all, they constitute quite a mystery.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

Does this one have any reeding?
    Can't see any in the photo.
    Ed
  • gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

GrumpyEd - now that you mention it, that's a very good question. I will check for reeding when I get the chance. Unfortunately; at the moment, I am in one part of the country while my coins are in another.

errormaven - interestingly enough, I have a 1985 to match but with the letter "G" on it
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    gargoyle62--when you get back, please show that one too. Interesting piece. Thanks--
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like it has any reeding. And the planchet looks to be solid copper judging by the obv and rev cuts. Cool find!

Cheers,

Bob
  • If I were making these, I would cut and scrape first and then apply copper plate. Then take a pic, then sell.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
    53BKid - though I don't have my coins with me, I do have pics of them posted on my photobucket account; so here's my 1985 "G":

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    how hard would it be to remove the clad and leave the copper core?

with some sort of electro-chemical process?
    like electroplating with quarters as the source of the nickel/copper? removing the clad outer layer, leaving enough to be able to spend it

do you have the ability to get an accurate weight?
    how about thickness and diameter? are they the same as regular quarters?
    sinin1 - yes, I have the capabilities of getting both weight and measurements on the coins.... but at a future time, as I am currently in one part of the US and they are in another.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    No rush - I am not implying that someone intentionally made a coin look like an error

rather that someone decided the coin outer clad would be a good cheap source of nickel for a small electroplating project
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Removal of the clad layer would leave a very blurred design. That's not what happened here. The weight of all these coins fall within the normal range of variation for their particular denomination.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file