Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roosevelt dime reverse - Another version

As promised, here’s another of the design candidates for the FDR dime.

This is the original sketch of the adopted reverse for the Roosevelt dime. Like the rest of this coin’s design, it was never reviewed or approved by the Commission of Fine Arts. I prefer this torch to the final one.

The first new dimes were released January 30, 1946 to coincide with the annual March of Dimes fundraising kickoff.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As promised, here’s another of the design candidates for the FDR dime.

This is the original sketch of the adopted reverse for the Roosevelt dime. Like the rest of this coin’s design, it was never reviewed or approved by the Commission of Fine Arts. I prefer this torch to the final one.

The first new dimes were released January 30, 1946 to coincide with the annual March of Dimes fundraising kickoff. >>

The March of Dimes was also known as the "Torch Drive," from the practice whereby tens of thousands of mothers spread out on the same evening with flashlights (torches) to collect money from their neighbors for the cause. That I am sure is why the Roosevelt dime has a torch on the reverse.

The March of Dimes paid for polio-related reconstructive surgery on my leg back when I was eight.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, except for a minor difference in the look of the flames, isn't this torch basically the same as the one actually on the dime now?

- - Daveimage
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ...original sketch of the adopted reverse ...
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    But when you say you "prefer this torch to the final one", is that just based on the minor difference in the flame vs anything I'm missing in the torch itself?
    For comparison, here’s a photo of the adopted reverse. (Photo is of the galvano.) I happen to prefer the torch and flame on the sketch.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For comparison, here’s a photo of the adopted reverse. (Photo is of the galvano.) I happen to prefer the torch and flame on the sketch.

image >>

Neat Roger!

Here's a question. Why only 2 acorns and 2 olives instead of the usual combination of 13?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    Nothing I've found so far mentions the olives or acorns. On the current coins, they are mere lumps.

Could squirrels have attacked the model and eaten the acorn; or did someone need an olive for their martini...?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file