Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone want to take my 1843-O dime challange? Edited to reflect price adjusts and comments

I will pay $15000 for a PCGS/CAC MS60 or better - PCGS guide is $7500 so I will pay 2x the listed price.

I will pay $5500 for a PCGS AU50 PCGS guide is $3000

I will pay $11,000 for a PCGS/CAC AU58 PCGS guide is $5500

Call me crazy but this is the market because if you have the coins, I am buyer and if you really have the coins with great eye appeal I will pay more, and I have paid FAR more for than these listed buy prices before.

Edit to say I will still pay those prices but the PCGS guide numbers have been revised.
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    And before anyone points out this should be a BST post , no one is going to take my offer, I am simply pointing out these are way too cheap in the price guides but should a coin surface I would be happy to buy it.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show Jamie proof and he will change it.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have one for me to buy at 50% above PCGS price guide so that I can sell it to JS at double price guide? image

I imagine there are a number of coins that would trade much higher than PCGS price guide assuming they were available. Maybe we should start a list?

Cool thread,

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough coin.
    Larry

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very nice PCGS40, but it's not for sale!image
  • Options

<< <i>Show Jamie proof and he will change it. >>

That's easy, look at auction results. I am thinking more about awareness of the real rare coins that can still be had at bargain prices, if you can find one.

How many other 1843O dimes are out there? Find a high grade 1847 O quarter or a ???

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a very nice PCGS40, but it's not for sale!image >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage Long Beach has an XF45. Knock yourself out image
  • Options
    Len,

even in XF45 there are 5 coins, there are only 5 coins in AU or better and all but one are locked up in major sets but I will be bidding on the XF, I currently have 1 of the 45's formerly a ANACS 53 and I think it is an AU50 but have not resubmitted it.

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    In my experience, there are no real uncs. in existence, and probably only a couple of AU's.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Well I give credit where credit is due.

PCGS adjusted the prices (twice I think) to reflect the market value of this coin - if only I had any takers at the lower levels, well at least I have a few nice ones.

Hats off to pcgscoinfacts (which I honestly do think is a bargin and worth every penny of price).

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spam.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>Spam. >>

Thanks for trying to attack me again, does anyone else think making a positive comment on how good PCGS's coinfacts is should be called "spam"?

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    edited.....

But a very good point is made, I could certainly make the same bids on numerous coins, especially a lot of Barbers in mid grade.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spam. >>

Huh??? OP issues challenge for 43-O dimes & comments on PCGS pricing of same. What's the big deal?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Spam. >>

Huh??? OP issues challenge for 43-O dimes & comments on PCGS pricing of same. What's the big deal? >>

None otherwise an issue would have been raised.

There are 2 more coins I have on the radar poised to explode but I need to cross them before I let the cat out of the bag here but did let the LSCC members know one of the dates. Very underpriced. If you join the LSCC I will let you in on the secret ( if you can find one).

• Options
    Well if I had one I would take you up on it, very tough coin I had a nice EF about 15 years ago. I am curious though if you are going to look at the coin before you buy it,or buy it with a return period why does it need to be pcgs?
    not an expert,just well informed.
  • Options
    Why PCGS?

To add it to my PCGS set. That goal has been accomplished with the finest PCGS to be offered in a very long time with the help of the most respected dealer of high rare coins I know who pushed me hard to not be a idiot and miss it.

Now, I really understand this coin and most all the other dimes in terms of how rare they are in these grades. This is a coin that is rarer than a 1846 (priced higher) and about the rarest coin in AU or better in the series (and about as rare as the 1874 CC Dime priced at over $50,000 in AU)

The key here is problem free. I would bet I have more high grade 1843 O dimes than anyone else as well as a few other dates that can still be stolen. I prefer PCGS because they grade this coins a bit stricter than other services IMO so as a buyer that is what I want. Of course when I sumbit a few coins I might change that tune.

I have one of the 5 XF 45's that was an ANACS53, compared to other PCGS 45's it is just better. I did resubmit it one time and it came back a 45 again.

This is a date often found weakly struck or unevenly struck, this is the case with what is consider to be the finest know (search 1843 O on this forum for some pictures).

Grading these coins in XF/AU can be tricky because of the striking issues. If was an uneven strike it may seem like wear at first glance. Without knowing this ( and very few do) some coins may be a little better than graded but this really only applies to XF45 coins. Au coins need some luster to get beyond 50 and with only 3 AU coins graded only one has luster.

In grades of XF40 or below the strike become less important as the wear points become harder to tell to be striking issues.

The dead give away on a 1843 O is the stars. Few coins are fully struck and razor sharp, may are uneven or weak.

Just my opinion on the 1843 O dimes.

edit typo

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

LDhair: <<Tough coin. >>

When I recently researched these, I was astonished by their condition rarity above AU-50, especially 'MS' grades.

SeatedDime: <<Grading these coins in XF/AU can be tricky ... AU coins need some luster to get beyond 50 and with only 3 AU coins graded only one has luster.>>

In my article, I pointed out that, "In June 2010, Heritage auctioned a PCGS graded AU-53 1843-O for $14,950. This coin is now in the registry collection of Jason Feldman." This was then publicly available information, accessible by anyone.

Saul Teichman suggested that I explicitly mention the Lovejoy 1843-O and I may now add a statement indicating that this PCGS graded AU-53 1843-O is very likely to be the 1843-O that was in the Allen Lovejoy Collection.

The Rarity of 1843-O Liberty Seated Dimes
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    The 1845 O dime is also grossly underpriced. I would pay $15,000 for a PCGS unc coin. Amazingly 2 au coins just sold at auction for very cheap money. I won them both and well below what I was willing to pay.

If you can find an Xf under $2000 you should buy it. While not a rare the are far from common and most Au coins are locked away.

• Options
    It would after the sale of the Unc 1843 O in the Gardner sale that people have figured out how special this coin real is.

I want to bid moon money on the coins and at 2.5x price guide I fell way short.

The AU coins are grossly undervalued still and the 2 AU-53 coins are locked away in well established registry set and there are no 55's or 58's.

Aside from 1 PCGS AU50 its doubtful a true AU or finer will come to market for a rather long time.

• Options
    I thought at one time the late dealer Jim O'Donnel had a complete set of Seated Dimes in UNC.
  • Options

<< <i>

Saul Teichman suggested that I explicitly mention the Lovejoy 1843-O and I may now add a statement indicating that this PCGS graded AU-53 1843-O is very likely to be the 1843-O that was in the Allen Lovejoy Collection.

The Rarity of 1843-O Liberty Seated Dimes
    >>

The PCGS AU53 from the Heritage is the coin from the Lovejoy set that was described as Brilliant Uncirculated. Have both the coin and catalog in hand the match is positive. It also does not appear to be worn but mishandled over time and likely dipped a lot time ago explaining its light golden tone and reflective surfaces.

Having viewed this coin against the MS62 that just sold I felt this coin was very slightly inferior to the MS62 and it was really close. Both coins were better struck than the MS65 coin.

I would have to suspect if this coin was to be auctioned it would fetch more than 1/10th the price of the Gardner coin of course that is likely to happen any time soon.

• Options

I was going to tell everyone about the 1845-O But apparently never got around to it. It’s not terribly hard to find XF but gets tougher in AU, much tougher and in UNC it’s just plain rare. About as rare a dime in UNC as any.

• Options

I did get all of the New Orleans times I wanted. At the time the prices on the 43 dimes were just silly and the 45s which are a little bit easier to locate in AU were still very cheap. Interestingly if you’re trying to find a gem 1851-O good luck. Simpson had a MS64 and you know Laura found the best out there.

• Options

I had....key word "had" the 45-O in XF40 also. Did you @seateddime buy any of my Dimes from Rick?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file