Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does this OBW roll look like the real thing?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at the end coins, and at the wrapper itself, would you say that the roll is a legitimately unopened OBW roll?

Would you have concerns about the appearance of the end coins?

imageimage
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I give it two thumbs up!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks okay to me.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That black grime is a giveaway that's it's legit!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • If you're going to chance it on these, this is how you want them to look. I agree with the overwhelming concensus of opinion, here. image
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good to me. Might be a circulated roll???
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was sold as an unopened uncirculated roll. From my pics, do the end coins appear to be uncirculated, or do I need better pics?

I knew it would happen.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, uncirculated, roll looks right to me.
    End coins can be damaged by the rolling machine that was used.
    38 coins on the inside might, just might, be wonderful.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the reverse makes me think 1965

and the color looks fine for clad (would be concerned if silver)

may have some slight damage on obverse - counting wheel

I do not see any rub from photo, but some dirt, grime, tape
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember striped color-coded rolls being used that far back (1965). I may be wrong.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I don't remember striped color-coded rolls being used that far back (1965). I may be wrong.

That was one of my concerns, but I don't have extensive experience in Federal Reserve Wrapped Rolls, either.

I knew it would happen.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I DO NOT like this as an original bankwrapped roll and would stay away from it. I don't remember the striped rolls until the early to mid 1970's. Julian would be the one to ask.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    (duplicate)
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• I'm not sure but I don't think the machines in 1965 used a serrated cutter.....image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced it's an unc roll.

I hate that obverse but it's tough to tell with the damage.

Of course, a circ roll from the era would have a lot of silver in it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Wayne Herndon has some good info on rolls

OBW Link
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
    I give it two thumbs up! ...again.

I remember OBWs from the late 1960s (post-1968) and early 1970s (pre-1973) that were very similar to this roll (striped, serrated, etc.). I believe it's an OBW, not necessarily an uncirculated roll of the same date. I've read that the Federal Reserve Bank would roll coins for smaller banks that didn't have their own rollers. For it to be an OBW, it doesn't have to include uncirculated coins exclusively.

<< <i>Wayne Herndon has some good info on rolls

OBW Link >>

Good article, but it got a little confusing:

"During this same era, and particularly the 1950s, the Federal Reserve Banks also had wrapping machines and did wrap some of the coins, especially for smaller banks without wrapping equipment. Consequently, one can sometimes find rolls from this era stamped with the name of a Federal Reserve Bank."

"Since the Federal Reserve Bank did not wrap the coins and the individual local banks did not have wrapping equipment, the job of wrapping coins was left to the armored car companies."
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think it is bankwrapped.
    The crimp looks tight, the end coins have scars from the crimping.
    I think the mangled part on the head end is from someone trying to see the date.

It might be circ coins or a mix or uncs but you still won't know what's in it unless you get it and open it.

Ed
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks okay to me. >>

Here's a way to tell----open the dang thing!
    It's not like we're talking about an original roll of 1936-D's here!!!!!!
    Sheesh!
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is bankwrapped.
    The crimp looks tight, the end coins have scars from the crimping.
    I think the mangled part on the head end is from someone trying to see the date.

It might be circ coins or a mix or uncs but you still won't know what's in it unless you get it and open it.

image >>

Looks like a mixed circ roll from the 1970s.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is what it is, i think
    Looks like a mixed circ roll from the 1970s.

I agreed with Frank's opinion.

My conclusion was that it was an unopened original Federal Reserve roll, but that the coins were certainly not Uncs, and I sent it back to the seller. It was advertised and sold as an Unc Roll, and both end coins appeared to be fairly-well worn, in my opinion.

I knew it would happen.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Above and below is a roll from the type of machine that used pre-formed paper tubes, and would "bead" only one end. The pic above is the end that came pre-formed.

Below is the end (of the same roll,) that the machine would "bead" (or "crimp" as some refer to it.)

; >>

I guess this is the opened roll, the second photo showing the end that was opened and resealed. IMO the giveaway is the paper fuzz around the interior of the roll crimp. After fifty years these papers got very dry and were prone to pilling or dropping fibers and modern handling of the dry paper could have caused this.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    If it is a 1965 roll, I would be skeptical that it is original. Every 65 Quarter roll I have been through that was original came in solid red paper. I believe the striped wrappers were not introduced until a few years later.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to say it is not an original BU roll. It may be an Original Bank roll, but of circulated coins.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that I was the first to suggest that it was a circulated roll.

I should have clarified my comment that it was a circulated roll from the early 1970's as a 1965 quarter roll would have contained quite a few silver quarters!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • The heads side is sloppy - could have easily been reformed by someone practiced at doing so.
  • My initial gut feeling was 1970's era paper.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file