Home U.S. Coin Forum

Check out this guys 1923 S Standing Liberty Quarter!!

WTF!!! image

A drilled slab????

ebay link
Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Odd... maybe the previous owned disagreed with the grade?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be a recent submission...
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    strange
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Enough of the bar code exists below the drill that it could be sent in and the original grade determined. Obviously there is one heck of a back-story with that coin...
  • .was the object of a thread on here awhile back ..........
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it have graded "Genuine"?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We saw that termite eaten slab last year on the forum.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this one before. I suspect someone was not happy with the grade. It looks as though only the 3 is visible in the date and consequently, PCGS probably gave it only a G-4 or G-6. The rest of the coin is probably much nicer, but that is how PCGS grades these I think.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has listed that on ebay many times.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is odd that someone did that, but I know that someone here posted that before. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure it was a SLQ slab that it was done to just like this one. I wonder if he is using the same photos or if he has been trying to sell this same coin for over 6 months.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Yep, been up mucho times
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    maybe stolen?
    figglehorn
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen this one before. I suspect someone was not happy with the grade. It looks as though only the 3 is visible in the date and consequently, PCGS probably gave it only a G-4 or G-6. The rest of the coin is probably much nicer, but that is how PCGS grades these I think. >>

Bingo!

Someone posted a nice 23-S not long ago with good VF details, but since all you could see of the date was a 3, the coin was graded something very low because of this, like an AG3 or G4.

I would bet money that the coin is in a G4 holder at best. Those of you who subscribe to coinfacts or can sneak peek it, look at the coin they graded VG10 on the images page for the 23-S, it's darn near an XF40 with a very weak date.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who tries THAT HARD to convince a buyer that it's a "20" or a "25" by providing lousy low resolution pictures and other 'comparison' pictures...
    Where the actual grade of the coin has been purposely been hidden.

Well, it sure sounds like a con.

This coin has been coming up for more than a year now, I think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file