Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof bust halves...pics added

Anyone know the best reference? Am particularly curious about which overton varieties...

Joe's 1836 appears above reproach as a proof. Heck she seems to lay claim to cam.

Here are cell phone images that I just took that leave much to be desired:

Comments

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be VERY interested to know of a reference for Proof CBH's as well.

Anyone know ? image
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. You can try Breen's proof encyclopedia, which will list what varieties have been called proof; just ignore what he says about how proofs were manufactured. You can also check the assorted auction archives to see what varieties are listed, included others noted in the descriptions. With the usual big caveats. Early proof/master coinage is a topic which requires much research to correct the speculations of the past.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip. I have had a few proof-like busties but usually the mirrors are limited to obv. have an 1832 O-111 that has hammered strike with fab mirrors on both obv and rev. a few hairlines to be sure and a couple spots of mint frost. probably just one of the first strikes but I wonder....

Oh and no pics yet - sorry.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know there are only nine proof 1832 half dollars known. Those nine coins include two examples of O-106, two examples of O-122, and five examples of the proof-only O-123 rarity. I have seen a few proof-like 1832's (but usually only on one side.)
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    OKbustchaser - I saw that info in the heritage archive. I ordered a used copy of breen's book on proofs from amazon. should arrive in a week or so.

really need to snag a cam and post some pics. Have a very low grade 1795 FH half that I wanna share too. If the coin is legit, methinks she's gonna need her own overton #.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks Buddy Byers sale (around 2005-2006) had what I recall as a complete run of 50c from 1794 and up. Quite a few had the Breen characteristics of proofs or attributed as "discovery" pieces in proof based on Overton numbers. Several were actual proofs and some brought in the $8k range to dealers on speculation that a TPG might call them "proof". At the time proofs were bringing wholesale of $17.5K in 63, $30K in 64, and low 50's for gems when graded ATS.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guesstimate that half of the certified proof Bust Halves in existence are controversial. I'd also guesstimate that more than 80% of the uncertified proof Bust Halves that have appeared at auction in the past century are controversial. And to complicate matters further, I'll point out that even among the reasonably uncontroversial proofs, some are far more obviously proof than others. The bottom line is that no single reference (or person) is going to help you sort it all out. You'll have to do your own homework, which should include picking the brains of experienced numismatists.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Follow Andy's good advice.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

That's not the Byers coin (bought in and sold by Stacks subsequently for much less) (much darker, long scratch obv, N64 and I'm gagging) or the NY Connoisseur coin (much nicer) which I split with the The Genius Trapped Inside an Idiot and that TGTIAT said he sold to Dino. This one looks better than either from the image. Joe's no slouch in this department either.

CJ
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    my pics are wanting but they at least hint at the mirrors. They don't show the frost to the left of the bust and at the eagle's head that are the only areas of field that aren't mirrored.

Gotta love that 1836. Simply stunning!!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The images provided by the OP make the coin look polished.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

TomB, as mentioned, the images are wanting and she's got hairlines (think ~PF62) but the mirrors aren't the result of post mint polishing. My blackberry is simply not a good way to image her.

• rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Ive seen Joes 1836 and yes its a stunner (proof 65) and should be graded cam. Hes also seen all my 1836s (4) of all varieties (all pcgs 64 and 64 cam). Maybe Joe and I should get together and write a book! Thanks...Dino
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holeeeey Cow. image

<< <i>image >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two articles by Russ Logan in the John Reich Journal: Crushed Lettered Edge Bust Half Dollars of 1833-1836 December 1990, and Proof Only Die Marriages of our Federal Silver Coinage April 2003, published after Logan's death.

Also, quite a few die marriages are known in prooflike condition and are often and incorrectly referred to as proofs. I have owed prooflike 1821 O102 and 1829 O112, and have early strikes of 1805 O107 and 1806 O104 that are semi-prooflike. Whether a coin is prooflike or a proof is difficult to confirm.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling that 1836 proof lettered edge half (ex. Garrett) was easily one of the 5 dumbest coin decisions I ever made!! Boy do I miss her!image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Selling that 1836 proof lettered edge half (ex. Garrett) was easily one of the 5 dumbest coin decisions I ever made!! Boy do I miss her!image >>

boiler78, What are the other 4 imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think maybe I've said too much already!

Let's just say when you combine ADD and OCD with 30+ years of serious coin addiction ...... you start to accumulate regrets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file