Home U.S. Coin Forum

Something fishy going on in my town...curry in the till?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
TWICE. two times, within the last week, I have gotten a One Rupee coin from India in change...Once at a Wawa, and once at the hardware store. Hmmmmmm. Got them for a Quarter.

Today, I asked the girl at the wawa if she had any rupee coins. YES, she said, she found one a few days ago. The girl at the Rite aid pharmacy...also asked her, and YES, she got one a few days ago.

So, it seems our local Indan population, God love''em. possibly, and I am speculating here....I think they are having relatives send them rupee coins from back home and then they are passing them for quarters.

Wow. can you believe it??

FYI, the exchange rate is about 46 rupees to the dollar, so these coins are worth two cents.

Comments

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TWICE. two times, within the last week, I have gotten a One Rupee coin from India in change...Once at a Wawa, and once at the hardware store. Hmmmmmm. Got them for a Quarter.

Today, I asked the girl at the wawa if she had any rupee coins. YES, she said, she found one a few days ago. The girl at the Rite aid pharmacy...also asked her, and YES, she got one a few days ago.

So, it seems our local Indan population, God love''em. possibly, and I am speculating here....I think they are having relatives send them rupee coins from back home and then they are passing them for quarters.

Wow. can you believe it??

FYI, the exchange rate is about 46 rupees to the dollar, so these coins are worth two cents. >>

With as much as it costs to mail them it probably isnt an outgoing scam, but it sure sounds like someone came home with a pocket full and is spending them around town.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a web site once that listed several world coins and their "uses" elsewhere.

I once accidentally put an Austrian Shilling (or was it a 10s?) coin in the bus fare box with some change. It took it as a bus token and gave me full fare. The driver noticed and wasn't happy, but didn't say anything about it.

it was an accident... really! Really!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    oh and weirdly enough, i had indian for lunch today and has something strange and coin related happen ... the lady gave me a sac dollar as part of my change.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think that there is a whole lot of money in this. Every once in a while I get a canadian cent and that makes me so angry that I have to take a time out.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know. its 23 cents pure profit every time they pass one. These conis look just like a quarter. same color, same size...a plain edge and of course they have different things on them. BUT, I think today most cashiers dont look at the coins. Its a size and general appearance thing.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I honestly don't think that there is a whole lot of money in this. Every once in a while I get a canadian cent and that makes me so angry that I have to take a time out. >>

Hey!..the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar...So there!!image
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have NEVER understood this size thing and not looking. All the bills are the same size......how often does a 100 get passed as a 1!!!!!!!

• I'd concede i don't get angry or need a sit down when i get a Canadian coin in change , vive la difference i guess is how i see it.If i dont want to keep it i just pass it on at the next opportunity or sling it in the change jar.One of my best circulation finds was Canadian and a whole new avenue for me to explore.I got a "poppy" quarter in change , now if anyone can explain how that circulated unnoticed i'd love to know,theres a blood red poppy on the reverse,can't help but see it.One of my favorite coins now.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't people look at their change anymore? If someone gives me a foreign coin, I give it back and ask for American money. The only exception was when someone gave me a 2 Euro coin as a quarter. The funny thing is it's a bi-metalic coin that looks nothing like a quarter other than being similar in size.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they thought that it was a new State Park Quarterimage
    Oh come on. I wasn't serious about the canadian thing.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid, my family went to Brazil - back then a pizza cost like 10,000 Cruzeros... and yet the country made a 10 Cruzuro coin that looked to my 11yo albeit yn eye to have the same dimensions as a U.S. Quarter... so I took a sock full of the coins home with me to experiment with.

Sure enough... I did not have to pay to play video games for the rest of the summer!
    Wow; that sounds so much easier than smashing a nickel to the size of a quarter with a sledgehammer.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I honestly don't think that there is a whole lot of money in this. Every once in a while I get a canadian cent and that makes me so angry that I have to take a time out. >>

Hey!..the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar...So there!!image >>

That certainly is true at the moment. But don't expect to be able spend any Canadian Dollar coins in the States any time soon. Unless of course they're 80% silver dates, and then we'll take 'em all at the present currency exchange rate!image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    around here - upstate New York- Canadian coins are accepted and used in transactions on a regular basis. There is a local outlet mall here and if you drive around the parking lot a great number of the cars are from north of the border. In these economic times , their money is more than welcome- keeps my property taxes down
    palmer
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's always some foreign coins floating around. You know those charity solicitations you get with a coin glued in them to make you open the envelope? I got one last fall with a dime-sized coin from the Carribbean on it. I am sure those are applied to the letters by a machine, and the machine was not a collector.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file