Home U.S. Coin Forum

I heard it through the grapevine today

A teeny weeny little Mint secret. The average nickle now has almost between 9 to 10 cents of precious metals within it. Each nickle is worth a dime, alone just in its metallic value. As copper increases, this only becomes greater. There is a quiet concern that nickles might get hoarded like silver coins were after they were announced to be replaced by clads. Although no metallic changes for the nickle are on the immediate horizon.

I'm unsure though if they come under the "no-melt law" like pennies.

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the solution is obvious: start minting 10 cent coins to nickel specifications, remonitize all existing nickels as worth 10 cents, do simple reprogramming on vending machines.

while we're at it, eliminate new production of one-cent coins, and start minting 2 cent coins to current penny specs, while remonitizing all existing coins as 2 cents.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At current spot prices US nickels are worth less than 7 cents each in metal value.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• << <i>At current spot prices US nickels are worth less than 7 cents each in metal value. >>

Yes, Tom... but if you give me a nickel and two cents for my nickel... I will then have around 10c in metals... imageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hes not talking about nickels, hes talking about nickles.....and they are much different.
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i> start minting 2 cent coins to current penny specs, while remonitizing all existing coins as 2 cents. >>

then we can give our 2 cents with just 1 coin.

or would it then take 4 cents to express an opinion? image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Manufacturing costs of a nickel: 10c
    Metallic value of a nickel: 7c
    Buying power of a nickel: less than 1c

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the Ira Reed 1937 reeded edge 1c's and 5c's are finally established as more than a curiosity. They now can be considered as pattern coinage. Judd collectors please take note.

Nomenclature alert: "Nickle" is not a real word. It is but a misspelling of a misnomer.

But then "normalcy" was a poor cousin to "normality" for a long time, and the latter is now only used occasionally by people like me who were "word nerds" before mutating into that idiot-savant genus "coin dweebs".

This is quibbling when put beside your Gladys and the Pips reference. Marvin the next year, the Temps, Creedence; sorry, time to log on to Youtube.

Want to watch HRH light up? Go back another 20 or 30 years and he can probably "wax" ecstatic about even the "B" side of everything.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hes not talking about nickels, hes talking about nickles.....and they are much different. >>

...check this out image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foreigners already hate English language and idiom.

But the smaller dime is a higher face value than the larger nickel? what the flarn?

and the dollar coin is smaller than the half dollar coin?

0ur denominations need a revamp, badly.

too bad tradition and pork keep the status quo

like yoda or bear, giving free form double spaced thoughts

respectfully and without malice

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    too bad one can only spend a nickel once. If you could spend them thousands of times things would be different.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if the OP might be thinking of the older composition Canadian nickels, which were almost pure nickel

www.brunkauctions.com

• tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At current spot prices US nickels are worth less than 7 cents each in metal value. >>

Someone I know at the Mint, who keeps abreast of such things said to me today that it's closer to 9.4 cents.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i wonder if the OP might be thinking of the older composition Canadian nickels, which were almost pure nickel >>

No, the common U.S. nickel.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing came up a few years ago, if I recall.
    And, that is part of the reason that the "no melt" law is there.

And....no, I don't hoard them for the metal value.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• <<<< At current spot prices US nickels are worth less than 7 cents each in metal value. >>

Someone I know at the Mint, who keeps abreast of such things said to me today that it's closer to 9.4 cents. >>

The higher value probably includes labor and overhead costs.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Find a teller who likes to work out. The $100 boxes are hefty.
    If you start to quietly tuck away these boxes, make sure your container and the floor will support the weight. image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    word is they were checking out baklite or something to that effect. anyone hear if they are still fooling around with that idea?

• << <i>A teeny weeny little Mint secret. The average nickle now has almost between 9 to 10 cents of precious metals within it. Each nickle is worth a dime, alone just in its metallic value. As copper increases, this only becomes greater. There is a quiet concern that nickles might get hoarded like silver coins were after they were announced to be replaced by clads. Although no metallic changes for the nickle are on the immediate horizon.

I'm unsure though if they come under the "no-melt law" like pennies. >>

There are pickles, and there are nickels. I'm just sayin'...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file