Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I need advice regarding an Ebay purchase, ASAP!

I recently won a beautifully toned 1927 100 MILS Palestine Mandate from an Ebay seller. Having opened the package a few moments ago, I was dissapointed to find that the coin was severly cleaned before the toning occurred. As the sellers description is way off, (he states, 'a few hairlines) I wish to return the coin ASAP.While he DOES allow returns (7 day privlege), the coin in question is fairly expensive ($500) and the seller is in Europe (There is no way to insure overseas ((as I recall)) ). The question is this; Do I open a PAYPAL dispute to protect myself (considering the above), or just send the coin back and 'let the chips fall as they may'?

Thanks in advance.
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently won a beautifully toned 1927 100 MILS Palestine Mandate from an Ebay seller. Having opened the package a few moments ago, I was dissapointed to find that the coin was severly cleaned before the toning occurred. As the sellers description is way off, (he states, 'a few hairlines) I wish to return the coin ASAP.While he DOES allow returns (7 day privlege), the coin in question is fairly expensive ($500) and the seller is in Europe (There is no way to insure overseas ((as I recall)) ). The question is this; Do I open a PAYPAL dispute to protect myself (considering the above), or just send the coin back and 'let the chips fall as they may'?

Thanks in advance. >>

Opening a PayPal dispute would look like you do not trust the seller to make good on the return and can make this whole experience unnecessary painful. Plus that option is always open to you if you wanted to do it down the road. I would get in touch with the seller and inform him that you are returning the coin. Not sure about insuring overseas thing, but you should be able to win a PayPal dispute even after 7 days are up if you have receipts indicating the date you mailed the package back within the return window.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Have you contacted the seller about a return?

PayPal asks everyone to work things out first. If I remember rightly you can raise a PayPal dispute up to 35 days from purchase?

If he will except a return I would still post the coin signed for and possibly insured and keep your receipt as proof of purchase. As soon as it gets to near the 35 day limit, if you don't see a refund raise a dispute.

Having said that, you could raise a dispute now and cancelling it when the refund has cleared. Contact the seller to tell them its nothing personal, but your just keeping yourself covered and will cancel the dispute when you get your refund.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is the seller I believe it is, he will take it back. I sense he is an honest guy. I guess the buy raw on ebay game is risky. I definitely had a few dissapointments.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. I feel though that, I need to clarify my issue. There is no USPS insurance overseas (Austria). How am I covered if the seller does not recieve the package (something that I should have thought about BEFORE bidding image). That said, I have another question. I used $100+ in Ebay Bucks to offset the total cost. Ebay only gives an individual one month to use those Ebay Bucks. If all goes well with the return, am I still in danger of losing out on my Ebay Bucks? Does anyone have any experience with this before I find myself calling Ebay for clarification?

Gary
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Send it registered.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    Can you send registered overseas?

Gary
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Can you send registered overseas?

I'd think so. As long as you have proof of postage you should be covered by PayPal regardless of insurance.
    I dont know about the ebay bucks. they dont do them in the UK image.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Send it by FedEx or DHL -- it's expensive, but you get much better control over the shipment and delivery process.

When you send by USPS to a foreign country, the USPS hands off the package to the foreign postal service, so there's a break in the chain of custody. I had a problem with some very important papers that were sent registered from here to another country, and when I tried to track it, neither the USPS nor the other country's postal service cared much -- each pointed its finger at the other.

I don't know what FedEx or DHL's policies are about insuring international shipments, but I do know that if you ship it from here by one of those services, they will keep control and deliver it over there and not hand off to another shipper.
  • Options
    I sent a package to germany registered cost me $14
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Registered Mail is not insurable abroad.

Your best insured option to Austria would be Global Express flat rate envelope with $500 insured value for $29.80.

Fully trackable and very secure.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with much of the advice that has been given in this thread.

The eBay/PayPal dispute process has changed considerably over the last few years. If you (as a buyer) want to make sure you're protected, you want to file a dispute through eBay, not PayPal. PayPal is your second line of defense, your credit card third.

I would go to My eBay, go to the item and select "Resolve a Problem" and the system will walk you through the process, including required steps of communication.

I would NOT just arbitrarily ship the item back to the seller without communication. The first question eBay/PayPal will ask is "why didn't you open a dispute?". You potentially leave yourself without recourse by doing it on your own.

As far as returning the item to the seller and still being covered by eBay/PayPal., registered mail won't cut it. It may let YOU know if the seller got it, but he can still claim he never did and you are again without recourse. A receipt of mailing is useless.

Global Express Mail. It gets a tracking number and signature that eBay/PayPal can look up online.

Yes it's more expensive than Registered Mail, but it's your gamble...

I've returned items purchased with eBay Bucks before and gotten the bucks back to use again.
  • Options
    Hello,

I am with coinpictures. I would open a dispute, and explain to the seller that I am doing this to protect myself, but that I would prefer to resolve the issue in a civil manner.

Good luck!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Global Express US Mail is the way to go, let him know you are returning it and if he does not complain don't file a dispute. There is a link on ebay I believe if you want to return and item, and I think you can buy the postage through paypal so they have the receipt also.
  • Options
    Unless the seller is being uncooperative, I disagree with opening an eBay dispute. Doing so can potentially impact the seller negatively, even if he handles the dispute flawlessly.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What method did the Austrian seller use to ship it to the buyer?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ocho,

You want to send the coin back by Express Mail International (NOT Global Express or GXG). If you use Express Mail International you can track the package every step of the way and insure it up to $5000.

PLEASE trust me on this and don't mail it any other way!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary,
    Sorry you seem to have been had.
    If the coin was obviously cleaned as you mention - it should have been sold as such.
    Another point that comes to mind is when I see such a HOT coin and all I wonder why its not in a holder yet.
    That bothered me also - as did the no luster evident - however, my heart though said nay just as fast as that photo was drip drool material and it screamed I'm drop dead gorgous...... its too bad you never really know until in hand - never!
    I hope it all ends well for you though.
  • Options
    Thanks Marc. The coin is already on it's way back (per the seller) and I'll just have to wait for the refund. I'm sticking to my missing two coins (1933 and '35 20 MILS).

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Gary,
    If the coin was obviously cleaned as you mention - it should have been sold as such.
    Another point that comes to mind is when I see such a HOT coin and all I wonder why its not in a holder yet.
    That bothered me also - as did the no luster evident - however, my heart though said nay just as fast as that photo was drip drool material and it screamed I'm drop dead gorgous...... its too bad you never really know until in hand - never!
    I hope it all ends well for you though. >>

The seller is in europe, we in europe on the whole don't do slabs. I don't see why all the trouble, just because the coin is not in the United States, why the problem with returning the coin. It's not the badlands full of barbarians outside the USA, we do have electricity and running water, and we can be quite nice some of the time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gary,
    I hope it all ends well for you though. >>

The seller is in europe, we in europe on the whole don't do slabs. I don't see why all the trouble, just because the coin is not in the United States, why the problem with returning the coin. It's not the badlands full of barbarians outside the USA, we do have electricity and running water, and we can be quite nice some of the time. >>

Slow down, no one is bashing Europeans! The point is that, the coin was grossly misrepresented. All is good and the seller says that he will make good on the return. Let's wait and see!

Gary
  • Options
    well well, you'd thinkimage

bottom line I'm glad you got your $ back - but I fail to get this no matter how I look at it. I mean you paid $500 and change? Its up to $604 !!!

link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110642361311&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • Options

<< <i>well well, you'd thinkimage

bottom line I'm glad you got your $ back - but I fail to get this no matter how I look at it. I mean you paid $500 and change? Its up to $604 !!!

link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110642361311&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT >>

Marc,

What's even worse is that the high bidder, bid on the same coin last time (a regular bidder of Palestine Mandate) and is not smart enough to stay away.

p***k( 720) US $203.00 Jan-03-11 13:59:13 PST

Where is the intelligence? image

Gary
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    It is misrepresented , no doubt about it and the photo is much to his advantage. If the buyer is outside the US, consider the cause of the rise in price a result of the recent very speedy rise of the euro vs the USD, almost from 1.31 to 1.38 since Gary purchased it. From My point of view, I see yet another unhappy buyer at the end of the line, who perhaps won't go the extra mile that Gary went to return it. This seller would deserve a neutral if not a plain negative. I'm sick and tired of them all.

Also the price range of the coin would make slabbing it in Paris a legitimate demand, if not now, in a couple of years for sure. Or else play poker with your purchases. I've personally have long given up gambling with coins and this has nothing to do with being pro or against slabs. It has to do with ethics, that online transactions seem to severely suffer from a lack of them.

edited to add: Gary, maybe you should contact him and let him know why the coin is again up for sale. Usually, a second consecutive sale almost always brings lower results, so there's obviously a certain lack of IQ here or an excess of trust of the seller and lust for the coin, take your pick.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Marc,

What's even worse is that the high bidder, bid on the same coin last time (a regular bidder of Palestine Mandate) and is not smart enough to stay away.

p***k( 720) US $203.00 Jan-03-11 13:59:13 PST

Where is the intelligence?

$203 a month ago and $600+ now? I'm in such a bad mood, that the lack of intelligence seems to be an unreasonable explanation, and shill bidding a much more plausible one. JMHO.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri,

The high bidder routinely bids on PM coinage. His logic defies all logic. He'll soon learn unless a bigger fool who bid last time thinks 'lightening just struck twice'!image

Gary
  • Options
    It's amazing how many idiots decided NOT to do their homework on this coin! $721.00! A fool and his money soon go, seperate ways! image

Bid Amount Bid Time
    Member Id: u***3( 938) US $721.00 Feb-03-11 14:11:31 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $711.00 Feb-03-11 10:01:05 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $621.00 Feb-03-11 03:27:50 PST
    Member Id: p***k( 720) US $603.00 Feb-02-11 02:33:17 PST
    Member Id: f***n( 1031) US $1.00 Jan-29-11 16:12:54 PST

Starting Price US $0.99 Jan-29-11 14:11:38 PST

Oh well, ther IS a sucker born every minute!image Just glad that it isn't me!!! image

Gary
  • Options
    $721 on a re-sell?
    There were actually 3 high bidders - where were they last month?? that price would be correct for a slabbed 66-67. Just don't know what to make of it.
    The seller on the other hand must be jumping for joy totally oblivious to whats going on and hoping he gets more coins returned from Americaimage

ye sure that baby was cleaned gary imagekidding image
  • Options

<< <i>$721 on a re-sell?
    There were actually 3 high bidders - where were they last month?? that price would be correct for a slabbed 66-67. Just don't know what to make of it.
    The seller on the other hand must be jumping for joy totally oblivious to whats going on and hoping he gets more coins returned from Americaimage

ye sure that baby was cleaned gary imagekidding image >>

The cleaning was SO bad Marc, I almost shed a tear!image

Gary
  • Options
    Hold on Gary... $721 you should have flipped it once received image
  • Options
    Only to someone on psychedelics ( able to see the 'colors man' and overlook the image SCRUBBING ).

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>It's amazing how many idiots decided NOT to do their homework on this coin! $721.00! A fool and his money soon go, seperate ways! image

Bid Amount Bid Time
    Member Id: u***3( 938) US $721.00 Feb-03-11 14:11:31 PST
    Member Id: f***n( 1031) US $1.00 Jan-29-11 16:12:54 PST

Starting Price US $0.99 Jan-29-11 14:11:38 PST

Oh well, ther IS a sucker born every minute!image Just glad that it isn't me!!! image >>

Member Id: u***3( 939) US $721.00 Feb-03-11 14:11:31 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $601.00 Feb-02-11 14:17:44 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $575.00 Feb-02-11 14:17:20 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $549.00 Feb-02-11 14:16:52 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $511.00 Feb-02-11 13:12:24 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $481.00 Feb-02-11 13:12:04 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $421.00 Feb-02-11 13:11:38 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $331.00 Feb-01-11 12:54:53 PST
    Member Id: d***5( 485) US $255.00 Jan-31-11 13:11:18 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $251.90 Jan-31-11 14:26:20 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $211.00 Jan-30-11 10:31:25 PST
    Member Id: p***k( 720) US $202.00 Jan-30-11 04:16:39 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $139.00 Jan-30-11 10:25:09 PST
    Member Id: j***1( 62) US $126.00 Jan-30-11 10:24:04 PST

Could be. Could also be that bidder j****1(62) maxed out p****k(720)'s bids twice, the second time with 7 consecutive bids, and then he stayed on top 4 hours before the end, and got sniped out in the last seconds, having set the price himself above $700. Something doesn't smell right here. You don't bid 12 times on a coin, that you know its value, let alone without winning it.image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri ...that is interesting indeed. Just also wonder where these TOP THREE bidders were just a few weeks ago when Gary won this gem for much less! image

Also if this dealer/seller is so ethical then he would know and realize obviously the coin is a badly cleaned/brushed coin and to post such a super picture of it smacks of unethical behavior period. I don't know this guy but he seems to have sold a lot of coins in the past.