Home U.S. Coin Forum

Root around in your harddrives and find me a birthday present....I'm looking for images of "The

Root around in your harddrives and find me a birthday present....I'm looking for images of "The Roanoke" that brought me here. Here is the original thread:

We've all been quoted in an ebay auction!

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With help from friends. Is this it? MJ

1937 50C Roanoke MS67 NGC. Intense violet, sea-green, lemon, and orange toning consume this lustrous and precisely struck Superb Gem. The dramatic patterns of color on this Roanoke half are unlikely to be equaled, and are undoubtedly caused by long-term undisturbed storage within a sulphur-lined envelope.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if that would pass muster today?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if that would pass muster today?

roadrunner >>

Doubt it very much, unfortunately.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
    The bidder a commem legend whoes AN EXPERT was sure it was NT but not all others weren so certain at the 2007 Milwaulkee. Regardless, 9X times book latter the coin hammered for $9200, Not bad for a 67: image

MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

• << <i>With help from friends. Is this it? MJ

image >>

Yup, that's it....not photos I took...which showed the colors better, but yes, that is definately it. Do you know who took those images?
  • If I remember correctly there was someone who remembered that coin from something like 25 years before that coin was mentioned first on the board.

I bought it originally in an ANACS 67 holder, sold it with the proviso that if the buyer or anyone could get it into an NGC or PCGS holder I'd give them a profit of 10K, and they got it into an NGC holder.

• << <i>Wonder if that would pass muster today?

roadrunner >>

It doesn't need to pass muster. It's already in an NGC holder.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they mean, can it pass Re-Muster?

we need more hand-holding and fifth party opinions

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• << <i>they mean, can it pass Re-Muster?

we need more hand-holding and fifth party opinions >>

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the thread, remember the auction, remember being quoted and remember seeing the coin in-hand in the 1990s.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Bruce Scher PCGS 68

• Thats just not fair...
    Bruce Scher
  • truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    If I remember the story correctly, the coin was owned by a old school Texas dealer for about 10 years before it was sold. It was in an old ANACS67 holder. It was offered to me for $10k back in 2002(?). I passed. The coin was into the services, both PCGS and NGC by subsequent owners at LEAST 10 times for cross over. I believe that Brian Sonnier bought the coin reasonably and sent it to NGC with documentation from several experts that the toning was true. NGC crossed the coin and subseqently sold for $20K.

TRUTH
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the coin it was in the ANACS MS67 holder and was owned by another forum member.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing that coin at a show and thinking the color was very unusual, but still felt that it was natural.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't need to pass muster. It's already in an NGC holder.

Unfortunately mustering these days means a fresh holder, secure, secure+ or CAC.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

<< <i>When I saw the coin it was in the ANACS MS67 holder and was owned by another forum member. >>

Yes, Dale Larson owned the coin for a while. I don't recall if he bought it from the original Texas dealer. He told me he sent the coin in twice, once to PCGS and once to NGC for crossover. Both crossovers failed Then Stan Hatanaka purchased it from Dale and sent it in twice to PCGS for crossover. I believe Dale bought it back from Stan after Stan could not get the coin to cross.

TRUTH
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>both PCGS and NGC by subsequent owners at LEAST 10 times for cross over >>

So, did the prior owners get refunds for their submission fees? How is it coins can be submitted so many times and never get crossed, upgraded, etc. And then, after selling it it gets the grade?

Am I the only one who finds this interesting? Does one have to have a big name to get the score? I had this occur with a number of my former coins so I just have to ask. I recall a 1878-CC Morgan I owned in MS65 that I attempted eleven times to upgrade to MS66. Tried it in the holder and cracking the coin. Each time it came back MS65. So, I finally gave up on the coin and sold it to a well known dealer. Guess what, he sent the coin in and on his first try got the MS66. Can someone explain that? I'm certain our grader friends do their best to be as accurate as possible; and I'm not trashing them or the companies they work for...I'm just amazed when I hear these sorts of stories.

However, I too keep those submissions going in hopes of one day hitting the big one! image

Just curious of others thoughts...

(edited for additional comments)
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

<< <i>

<< <i>both PCGS and NGC by subsequent owners at LEAST 10 times for cross over >>

So, did the prior owners get refunds for their submission fees? How is it coins can be submitted so many times and never get crossed, upgraded, etc. And then, after selling it it gets the grade? Am I the only one who finds this interesting? Does one have to have a big name to get the score?

Just curious of others thoughts... >>

At one time or another, most "big names" have sold coins that they had failed to cross or up-grade, and which subsequently succeeded. It underscores the subjectivity and lack of perfect consistency in coin grading.

<< <i>

So, did the prior owners get refunds for their submission fees? No, you take your chances and get the rewards.

How is it coins can be submitted so many times and never get crossed, upgraded, etc. Happens all the time with crackout guys
    And then, after selling it it gets the grade? Some things better left unknown

Am I the only one who finds this interesting? No

have to have a big name to get the score? Some things better left unknown

Just curious of others thoughts... >>

TRUTH
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It underscores the subjectivity and lack of perfect consistency in coin grading. >>

Yes, that is true. However, if one paids a professional for services then should one expect those service to be performed correctly?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately mustering these days means a fresh holder, secure, secure+ or CAC.

roadrunner >>

I know of a dealer who purchased a proof lincoln in a holder. The coin was valued at $2000 at the time of purchase. He sent the coin in 8 times before it was upgraded and then sold the coin for $20K. Was the 7 submissions worth it at $100 a pop? NO. But the eighth submission gave him a net profit of $17,200.

TRUTH

<< <i>

<< <i>It underscores the subjectivity and lack of perfect consistency in coin grading. >>

Yes, that is true. However, if one paids a professional for services then should one expect those service to be performed correctly? >>

"Correctly" implies an objective, black and white standard and determination. That is not the case when trying to grade coins, much less, to the nearest point. And ditto for trying to determine whether they are naturally toned or not, etc.

• << <i>Truthteller: I know of a dealer who purchased a proof lincoln in a holder. The coin was valued at $2000 at the time of purchase. He sent the coin in 8 times before it was upgraded and then sold the coin for $20K. Was the 7 submissions worth it at $100 a pop? NO. But the eighth submission gave him a net profit of $17,200. TRUTH >>

Did anyone force the buyer to pay 20K for the coin? Then maybe the only thing that got hurt was the guy's feelings who wasn't smart enough to send it in 8 times......

TRUTH!
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers go from show to show and get feedback how loose or tight the mobile grading teams are that day and may even know who they are and what they may look for in different series.
    FWIW- I was told that this was the "Tennesse" coin owned by "Johnny"that was in an ANAC's holder in the 80's..................I was still chasing girls hard back then so coins didin't exist yet for me.MJ
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wonder if that would pass muster today?

roadrunner >>

Doubt it very much, unfortunately. >>

Doubt it very much, fortunately.
  • Kind of funny how everyone agrees that grading is subjective and its hard to consistently arrive at the same grade if a coin is submitted multiple times yet we now have plus grades that further refine grades within a grade. image
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of funny how everyone agrees that grading is subjective and its hard to consistently arrive at the same grade if a coin is submitted multiple times yet we now have plus grades that further refine grades within a grade. image >>

No point in trying to inject logic into coin grading. The plus grades are more about maintaining a revenue stream than anything else.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I photographed for member commemdude last summer.

Due to being underage... infant Virginia Dare has been blocked on the reverse.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • I was at the show (Long Beach I think) in the early 2000's when Stan Hatanaka baught the coin. It was a beauty but numerous major commem dealers would not touch it. Stan did not know the history of the coin and was really bumbed out that a dealer would take $8,000 from him and not tell him about the potential AT issue. Gregg Bingham found out about the sale and got Stan's money back. How? I don't know but to his credit he did so because Stan was a good friend. To this day, I feel that the coin is both NT and AT.
    commeman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file