Home U.S. Coin Forum

I am writing an article for our clubs news letter-Poll on memebrs and coins- Please be honest

Team I am writing a column for our club newsletter, the topic is the wide range of collectors that are on this board and other boards, NGC, Coin Talk, etc. You do not need to respond or show a coin, but the article is around what is the most you have ever paid for a single coin. The only parameters is that you used to won it or still do own it. Now if you bought it for 8k in 2001 you can add 3% CPI increase on that price each year. So, in today's money it would be 30% more, so 2.4k more= $10.4k. I know we can talk about purchasing power of the dollar, increases in rarity and so on, but I just want it to be simple. Please be honest also so i can get an accurate result. I appreciate your vote and response if you would like to discuss it, show it or tell a story about that coin.

Comments

• $600 for me. But most of what I buy is under $200.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    less then $100 for me

1997-present

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Personally I'm in the $1k range.

If you count the "father and son" collection it's in the six figure range.

Can I vote twice? imageimage
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About $900-ish for me, I think. With the 3%/yr CPI adjustment you mentioned, I suppose I'd barely make it into the $1K bracket.

Most I've sold a single coin for would be probably in the $1,400-ish range.

Of course I can count these four-figure transactions on the fingers of one hand.

My usual budgetary ceiling when purchasing is around $500/coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Do you consider 1oz gold or plat. eagles as coins? The answer doesn't affect my answer just a question for the investor/collectors. My answer was $100-250. Before buying a xf40 1909-s lincoln my largest purchase was $50. The lincoln put me over the $200 mark.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I responded but I am a dealer. Let me know if you wish to remove my #
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Gold and plat. are just fine. Julian, was the coin for your collection or for resale? My only concern is that if it was say a 250k coin and you counted it and a board member counted it, it would be 2 votes for 1 coin. SO I guess I need to clarify. If you are a dealer or agent and the coin was purchased as inventory with the express purpose of resale or for a client I would prefer not to count that. However, if you bought it for inventory and decided you wanted to hold it for a while either as an investment or part of your collection then I would count it. I know it is a grey area, so your best judgment is good. This isn't exactly a scientific poll checking the un-employment rate. I know arguments can easily be made that many of our collections were bought as we enjoy them, but we see an upside in the future too for profits, but there are a few here that will pay whatever and know they will lose money so there is no right or wrong. Thanks again guys and gals.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda proud that I've been able to build a pretty unique collection with 95% of them costing under $150 and without ever spending more than $400 on a single coin.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • The most I ever spend for a single coin is $2K plus.

I am curious to know who on this board paid $3 to $4 million for a single coin image
    I am even more curious to know what coin is it??? image
    MT
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently spent $2126.99 for a nickel. Prior to that the most I had spent was around $1200.
    Most of the coins I have were under $300 each.
  • I voted in the wrong slot. But I don't guess the world will come to an end. At least not until 12-21-2012 anyway. I voted too low.

Sorry,
    Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am curious to know who on this board paid $3 to $4 million for a single coin image
    I am even more curious to know what coin is it??? image >>

One board heavyweight has owned a 1913V nickel as well as other high profile coins.

One board member paid almost 8 million for this in May. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    The most I have ever spent for a single coin was $50, the most I've spent on a single US coin was $25. Oddly enough the most I've ever spent on a single piece of currency was also $50.

Most of my purchases are under $20.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most everyone here knows I just smashed the $1000 barrier from this thread, purchasing an 1885 Liberty nickel. image
    Dwayne Sessom
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I responded but I am a dealer. Let me know if you wish to remove my # >>

If you used your own money, your vote should count. If you acted as an agent and used a client's money, your vote shouldn't count. Also, once a poll is started, I don't think the results can be editied except possibly by a moderator.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>One board heavyweight has owned a 1913V nickel as well as other high profile coins. >>

Did TDN own the coin or was he a part owner of the coin?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• I paid $5K+ for a 1932-D Washington several yrs. ago. It sold with the rest of the collection. My wife still tells people that story!image Guess she still thinks I am nuts, but keeps me around anyway.image
    Gary
  • Wow, some interesting results thus far
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    UHR for me.
    Very interesting poll!

What's the handle here of King Farouk? image

Over $5million dollars
    1 (votes) .72 (%)
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    12,000 for 1799 Large Cent
  • What's the handle here of King Farouk?

It isn't the king, the 1794 Dollar MJ posted sold $7.85 million to a board member apparently, so that explains the over 5 million vote, unless it was someone just joking, but I think board members are honest and wouldn't want to mess up and article. Plus there are only so many $5 million dollar coins and I know who bought most, so if we get 12 votes I know the poll is worthless.
  • Perry Hall, I think "Cardinal" bought the 1794... And I didn't get the impression that it was from TDN. image
  • Since it is my thread, my most was 87k for a 1879 flowing hair stella in PCGS PR-62. I no longer own it as I truly never liked it. Now I bought an MS RD 1969-S DDO Lincoln for 4k that is worth much more than 4k now, so that is my biggest score on one coin although I never sold it. I imagine if I did it would fetch 125k plus and I will sell it sometime soon as I don't want to be the only one left standing with a MS BN coin when the music stopsimage
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>What's the handle here of King Farouk?

It isn't the king, the 1794 Dollar MJ posted sold $7.85 million to a board member apparently, so that explains the over 5 million vote, unless it was someone just joking, but I think board members are honest and wouldn't want to mess up and article. Plus there are only so many $5 million dollar coins and I know who bought most, so if we get 12 votes I know the poll is worthless. >>

I didn't see MJ's post! It's really cool seeing a $8M coin!
    I am sure all the votes are true.
    It would be nice to see the other 2 coins over $1M.
  • I assume one is the 1913 V-Nickel someone owned and the other would just be a guess but I think I know. Another member used to be a part owner of a 1894-S barber dime, while not the sole owner not sure if that vote made it in.

<< <i>Perry Hall, I think "Cardinal" bought the 1794... And I didn't get the impression that it was from TDN. image >>

I was talking about the 1913 Liberty nickel.

• << <i>

<< <i>Perry Hall, I think "Cardinal" bought the 1794... And I didn't get the impression that it was from TDN. image >>

I was talking about the 1913 Liberty nickel. >>

My bad. I misunderstood MJ's post.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One board heavyweight has owned a 1913V nickel as well as other high profile coins. >>

Did TDN own the coin or was he a part owner of the coin? >>

I owned the coin ... purchase price appx $4,150,000
  • Seems like I fall into the majority just another common collector.image

Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For myself or my cleints?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

<< <i>

<< <i>

I owned the coin ... purchase price appx $4,150,000 >>

Neat coin and one of the most famous U.S. coins. Do you ever miss not owning it?

• AMRC, yourself not for clients

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I owned the coin ... purchase price appx $4,150,000 >>

Neat coin and one of the most famous U.S. coins. Do you ever miss not owning it? >>

Honestly, no. Without selling it, I couldn't have completed the one of a kind seated dollar set to the extent that I did. Now *that* I miss!
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭
    I spent $6250.00 for a 1829 curl base 2 to complete my Capped Bust Dime Set.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1800 for me and I have to post an image for the heck of it (please excuse the feather from my pillow image)

imageimage

• JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    My purchase was for inventory, but it never sold to another dealer. It is now in the hands of a serious collector, who I do not believe is a poster on the board.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my most costly purchase to date:

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most collectors will not spend more than a weeks wages on a coin, whatever that may be.

<< <i>Most collectors will not spend more than a weeks wages on a coin, whatever that may be. >>

Sorry, but I definitely disagree with this assertion
  • A big thank you to everyone that voted and those who replied thus keeping the thread in the view of members. 197 votes ain't too shabby! I will post the article when I get finished up with it and tally the results. It should be interesting and I must say I am proud to be a member of a board where someone who has the ability to buy a 5 million dollars coin converses and engages one who's budget is much smaller or restrictive. We really have a great board here with a lot of knowledge! Very rarely is there a topic that comes up and we don't have a resident expert.

Jeff
  • $800 for my 2006 $50 gold buffalo.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Besides the 3-2006 gold anniversary sets, I've only purchased 3 coins for over $1K. I've made 5 worth over 2K and spent less than $5 each. With inflation, I have many more according to the PCGS guide. I hope it helps.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Most collectors will not spend more than a weeks wages on a coin, whatever that may be. >>

Sorry, but I definitely disagree with this assertion >>

Me too.
  • I describe my budget range as $200 to $2000, though I also enjoy cheaper coins, everything from common Peace dollars to putting pennies and nickels in the folder. Until about two weeks ago, I had never spent more than $2000 on a single coin, though I was prepared to do so a year ago to get a good example of a gold $3 for my type set. (The best fit within my range was a PCGS AU55 1856 for $1900.) My most valuable coin was a 1908 no motto Saint Gaudens $20, PCGS MS65--though I bought it for $1500, I know I could sell it for over $2000 today. But, about two weeks ago, I shattered my previous numismatic records when I traded six coins and spent an additional $900 cash for a total of $5175 for a 1911-D Indian quarter eagle, NGC AU55.

I would be happily surprised if I can top that any time soon, though, admittedly, nicer coins are dreadfully addicting. I'm honored to share company here with holders of coins worth more than my lifetime work, but I also enjoy sharing that sense of joy in finding a wheat penny in change, as I did again just two days ago. (A common and well worn cent from 1945, probably forged from left-over ammo in one of the most important and turbulent years in the history of humanity.)
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Most collectors will not spend more than a weeks wages on a coin, whatever that may be. >>

If I made in a week what I spend on individual coins, I'd be competing with Simpson. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file