Home U.S. Coin Forum

Don't you hate it when you make an offer on a coin

Only to be told the coin has already sold. The site had 4 of the same coin, same grade, and they didn't tell me if the other 3 were still available. I replied back to ask about the other 3 but will probably call their number tomorrow to be sure. I guess I waited too long.

Ron
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sites may be set up to process offers automatically, without a real person seeing it right away.

Call about one of the others, I guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens. I help maintain a dealer site, and we like many others have to update the inventory on the website manually. Since inventory is constantly changing, it takes a lot of work to keep it 100% up to date. But yeah, it is disappointing. It's happened to me more than once, but I understand how fast dealer inventory turns over and how difficult it is to keep everything updated.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • I just checked the web site and the coin is still listed?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Don't you hate it when you make an offer on a coin only to be told the coin has already been sold.

No. To me, much too trivial to hate or even annoy.
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty dissapointed with a recent BST transaction that fell through-I made an offer of 90% of his asking price to a board member by pm -which he accepted -for a Van Buren liberty in OGP.Thirty minutes later he pm's "Check in with me first before you send payment. I have another potential buyer".Although I pm'ed the seller (politely)twice asking for an update he never showed the courtesy of a reply.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was pretty dissapointed with a recent BST transaction that fell through-I made an offer of 90% of his asking price to a board member by pm -which he accepted -for a Van Buren liberty in OGP.Thirty minutes later he pm's "Check in with me first before you send payment. I have another potential buyer".Although I pm'ed the seller (politely)twice asking for an update he never showed the courtesy of a reply. >>

That's not cool. Accepting an offer and then reneging after receiving a better one is unprofessional and unethical, IMO.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was pretty dissapointed with a recent BST transaction that fell through-I made an offer of 90% of his asking price to a board member by pm -which he accepted -for a Van Buren liberty in OGP.Thirty minutes later he pm's "Check in with me first before you send payment. I have another potential buyer".Although I pm'ed the seller (politely)twice asking for an update he never showed the courtesy of a reply. >>

That's not cool. Accepting an offer and then reneging after receiving a better one is unprofessional and unethical, IMO. >>

Agree. The person who renegs on a "done deal" should be outted. The threat of public exposure and embarassment keeps people honest.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times, dealers will leave a coin in inventory, or list something they DONT have....in an ad that sounds too good to be true just because it makes the telephone ring.

Oldest trick in the book. When you inquire on it....just been sold BUT we have blah blah blah......

(this basic fact was told to me by a dealer...after a half hour talking on the phone...he let the cat out of the bag. They NEVER had the coin I was calling about...)
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    One online dealer recently added to its online inventory post-FUN, and within 48 hours had sold 30% of its inventory. It is easy to see how people could get frustrated, because time just did not permit the site to be updated.
    I brake for ear bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file