Home U.S. Coin Forum

1909 VDB Lincoln DDO 2 Misattributed ?

Check out this auction. I've owned a couple of this variety, and I believe that this coin is misattributed. I don't see the doubled die in this coin.

Linky
-Gabe

Comments

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand, there is a die marker running from the chin to the bow tie for this variety.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubling on the 19 of the date or the ERTY of Liberty. I see a bit on the B of Liberty.
    Not the major DDO, it's the minor DDO as noted by the .1 after the FS designation.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I'd agree that this is not a great example of the variety (which isn't a prominent variety in the first place), but what appears to be a die chip in the loop or the R in LIBERTY suggests to me that it is correctly attributed.

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need a better Pic. But I agree with drwstr123. I have yet to see one with out the strike under the chin. The Die chip in the crotch of the R comes and goes as well as the B with either one or both loops filled. But always a bit of a chip in the R loop.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's the FS-1102 or not, can't really tell from the pics, even though the pics are awesome... I've seen some examples of this variety w/o all of the diagnostics present, but to get certified it has to have the thick/slightly doubled first 9 in 1909. I can't really see it from the pics but maybe it's there. I'd definitely pass on this one and get an example where I could not only clearly see the doubling on the 9, but an example that also shows the other diagnostics clearly (the clash under the chin, the die chips in LIBERTY, etc.)

• << <i>Not sure if it's the FS-1102 or not, can't really tell from the pics, even though the pics are awesome... I've seen some examples of this variety w/o all of the diagnostics present, but to get certified it has to have the thick/slightly doubled first 9 in 1909. I can't really see it from the pics but maybe it's there. I'd definitely pass on this one and get an example where I could not only clearly see the doubling on the 9, but an example that also shows the other diagnostics clearly (the clash under the chin, the die chips in LIBERTY, etc.) >>

I agree, nice coin though.

this is from a 65RD Type 2 that I have.

this is a ICG AU58 Type 2 the doubling on the 9's is hardly noticible at all

both those coins have that little vertical line under the chin.

Whats interesting about the coin in that listing it has what I call ghosting of "in god we trust" the same way the first coin does in this post.

and just to confuse things more, this is an unattributed vdb I have that matches the coin in that listing better.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, that last one you posted will not get attributed as a DDO FS-1102. Many 1909 VDBs have die chips in LIBERTY and many of those will also have the clash under Lincoln's chin... but if there isn't doubling or thickness on the first 9 in 1909, it's not the DDO and shouldn't get attributed by PCGS/NGC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file