Home U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a phoney for ya...

drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
...altered date 1914 D Lincoln:
eBay LINK

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Definitely. Not even remotely deceptive.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • And gently cleaned with a wire brush on the Obv at no extra charge.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, that is soooo funny to read that this is a key date! Since when are altered coins
    key dates??

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guess the date....
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lol, that is soooo funny to read that this is a key date! Since when are altered coins
    key dates??

bobimage >>

I think what he meant was that he used a key to change the date ... image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    They should have scraped the back side of the 4 off too.
    Finest Coins and Relics

• << <i>They should have scraped the back side of the 4 off too. >>

I'm no lincoln collector but even i couldn't miss that , makes me wonder if the bidders even looked at the pics.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>guess the date.... >>

I'll take a stab. 1944

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I just discovered how amazingly lame the drop-down menus for eBay's "report an item" page are. Nothing for counterfeit or altered coins, or coins at all. I had to choose "counterfeit autographs" or something else.

But at least there is a link in the auction now, instead of having to search millions of site map pages to find where they buried it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert, I wasn't intending report. Caveat emptor.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I called him/her out on the altered date...awaiting reply.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>Robert, I wasn't intending report. Caveat emptor. >>

If you're addressing me (I'm Rob but not "Robert"), I'll say that I most certainly WAS intending to report this piece of junk.

Caveat emptor, yes, and shame on the knuckleheads who were stupid enough to bid on this, but stuff like this does need to be reported. I was merely mentioning that eBay has never made this easy. The current form attached to every auction page is better than the old impossible-to-find one buried in the site map, but they've still got a way to go, when you have to choose "counterfeit autograph" as the closest category to report an altered coin. And then they don't give you many characters to explain with when you finally get to the box where you can type in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the one I did with my pocket knife back in '63.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Thats the quickest ive seen a listing removed if it was indeed only just reported.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is better done than his, shame on him!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Wow, they DID zap that auction fast.

OK, kudos to eBay. Their form sucks, but obviously it worked for the intended purpose, and astonishly, somebody was on the other end actually reading it, maybe. Unless the system is set up to automatically suspend any auction that gets reported?

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I NEVER use the 'Report Item' in the listing itself....I ALWAYS use this one and it gets action MUCH quicker!
    I'll come up with something.
    Oh, is that the old "I-never-can-find-it" one? I suppose I should've bookmarked that.

Looks like the crappy form in the auction served its purpose, though, assuming my report was the one that triggered their response.

I dunno why I even used the link this time. Most of the time I'd just ignore it and let the bidiots pay their own tuition in the School of Hard Knocks. But this time it just made me mad to see that somebody was gonna pay three figures for that piece of junk. Then again, they would've almost deserved it, that was so blatant a fake. The bidders might have been shills, anyway.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I suppose I should've bookmarked that. >>

Well, whatchya gonna do? lol image
    I'll come up with something.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the intended item already got pulled. way cool

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file