Home U.S. Coin Forum

Circulated 1999 State Quarters...worth putting back?

I realize that this is a like a 50 year plan that will outlive me, but do you think it's worth putting back typically AU 1999 State Quarters for what will most likely be my grandkids down the line, or just spend them?

If you say spend them, is it worth putting back BU rolls of them having to pay the premium buying them now?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    My personal opinion is that circulated coins with mega millions minted and saved by the $1000 bag will never have any significant collector value for several generations. You would be better off investing the money in something with precious metal content, or at least, nice uncirculated coins. If you want these things, you can negotiate hard on BU rolls at coin shows, as I find that this stuff is very hard to sell.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Define "putting back". If you mean buying and saving, I'd a) save a set for the grandkids from circulation and b) NOT buy any. There are so many, these will never have any huge retail demand except in special situations (errors, etc...)

HOWEVER, I would be all over the ATB quarters right now with their very low mintages. If these ever take off, the 2010 releases may get hot.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    i hope not, recently, i started dumping all of my state quarters back into circulation,
    literally thousands of dollars worth. paid for my amark 5 ouncers that way.
    haven't dumped the colonies, i mean territories yet .

(l8-)>>

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    In the state quarter program... Each of the 1999 circulating quarters, from both P & D, had mintages in the, multiple, hundreds of millions. I feel certain that BU rolls and bags of those are being hoarded as well. The grandkids and great-grandkids might appreciate a set of nice ones. If I could get a BU roll of them for $10 I'd do it.

The national park program, otoh, has begun with much lower mintages!
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It's just a simple thing to do, pick out any '99 Quarter and throw it in the pile. Also, I have a chance to buy a large Lot of these AU-ish coins at face value, but I know that some people hoard them by the bag.
    Just debating if it's something worth taking the time to do or not.
    With the ATB coins, mintage may be low, but I dont think people are collecting them. Most dealers in my area aren't even bothering with keeping any in inventory. If someone wants them, the dealer will order them for the customer, but not keep any in stock.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the ATB coins, mintage may be low, but I dont think people are collecting them. Most dealers in my area aren't even bothering with keeping any in inventory. If someone wants them, the dealer will order them for the customer, but not keep any in stock. >>

imageimage
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the mid-80s, I started 5 or 6 sets of all circulating denominations, filling Whitman folders with the nicer coins that I found. Sometimes, if I found a particularly nice coin, I would replace an ugly coin in one of my folders and upgrade the rest. Sometimes, I'd plug coins into my folders from a spare Uncirculated Set as well.

I would also save every BU coin I found in circulation and put them into plastic tubes, time permitting. Occasionally, I would sort through the tubes and keep the nicer ones in order to upgrade some of my folders.

I still follow the same regimen, time permitting. As I was perusing one of my earlier books last night, I came to realize that some of my 1982 and 1983 quarters are pretty nice! Here & there, sprinkled throughout my folders are some nice-looking coins that have toned over the past 20 years!

So, instead of focusing on AU 1999 State Quarters, I'd highly recommend just starting some Whitmans for fun, as a real collector. It's kinda interesting after all! In your case, I'd recommend starting at 1999, since you are still able to find coins with some luster on them. The collection will evolve.image

Not too long ago, I added another twist - I had acquired some cheap 1960s-1970s-era Mint Sets (mainly for the 40% halves, but I got alot of common clad along with them) at a local auction. It was a no-lose deal, so I cut out the coins and plugged them into my Whitmans. The clad and nickels were looking dull, so I MS-70'd them before putting them into my folders. Hey, they were an improvement no matter how they looked, so they might as well look bright.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Jmski's thought on the albums is a good one. I did a similar thing starting in 2006 and found it very rewarding--especially my Jeff nickel set, for which I plugged all the holes except 12 or 13--pretty amazing to find some 1930s and 40s coins still out there.

Regarding the ATB, you're right, no one is collecting them, but in coin collecting, that is often where the opportunities lie. Put some away now, and what have you got to lose? Nothing. You can always spend them later. OTOH, if they get hot later, you're going to be very happy you displayed some independence of thought back in good 'ole 2011!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comrade jmski, how do you "MS-70" something?
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't tie any money up in them in any kind of quantity. To me, they're like the Bicentennial quarters- everybody has at least one somewhere, and your chance of getting one in change is good. 50 years from now you'll still be able to find decent ones circulating, just like 1950's and early 1960's Jefferson nickels now. Maybe put the resources into building nice sets for the grandkids instead...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    34 million on the ATBs is not much. Be interesting to see this years mintage. If there are some spectacular future designs(though doubt it) it could draw some interest in collecting these.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    give it to the grand kids now. let them have fun with it. just an idea
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Back in the mid-80s, I started 5 or 6 sets of all circulating denominations, filling Whitman folders with the nicer coins that I found. Sometimes, if I found a particularly nice coin, I would replace an ugly coin in one of my folders and upgrade the rest. Sometimes, I'd plug coins into my folders from a spare Uncirculated Set as well.

I would also save every BU coin I found in circulation and put them into plastic tubes, time permitting. Occasionally, I would sort through the tubes and keep the nicer ones in order to upgrade some of my folders.

I still follow the same regimen, time permitting. As I was perusing one of my earlier books last night, I came to realize that some of my 1982 and 1983 quarters are pretty nice! Here & there, sprinkled throughout my folders are some nice-looking coins that have toned over the past 20 years!

So, instead of focusing on AU 1999 State Quarters, I'd highly recommend just starting some Whitmans for fun, as a real collector. It's kinda interesting after all! In your case, I'd recommend starting at 1999, since you are still able to find coins with some luster on them. The collection will evolve.image

Not too long ago, I added another twist - I had acquired some cheap 1960s-1970s-era Mint Sets (mainly for the 40% halves, but I got alot of common clad along with them) at a local auction. It was a no-lose deal, so I cut out the coins and plugged them into my Whitmans. The clad and nickels were looking dull, so I MS-70'd them before putting them into my folders. Hey, they were an improvement no matter how they looked, so they might as well look bright. >>

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Save every BU coin found in circulation........image

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

BU coin in circulation....image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Save every BU coin found in circulation.....Funny; >>

same here.
    save pocket change in a 5g glass sparklets bottle.

went through them a few months ago and pulled about $50 worth. image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file