Home U.S. Coin Forum

Natural or AT?

I bought this coin a few years ago for just the going rate of unc dollars (probably $20-22 at the time). No premiums paid, nor was one wanted from who I was buying it from.

But... the coin has very vivid toning that I am not sure about.

1902-O, typical flat strike. Here is the coin...

What do you think?

Comments

• mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    AT

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    NT
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    the real deal!
  • NT, I like it.
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Thats a natural paper toner image
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT

1997-present

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QT
    Many happy BST transactions

• NT..........I like it!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT and not very attractive. Who would bother to AT something and get that?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Yep, natural toning. I assume those who said AT were joking.

Russ, NCNE
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nt
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many here have far greater experience, but I've spent a certain degree of time around NT coins, and this is one.

Now, is it in a Doily?

Drunner
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm inclined to say NT.

Doesn't do much for me, personally, but there are some nice colors involved, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'd appreciate the look.

Hey, for 20-22 bucks, not much downside potential there, right? Can't go anywhere but up, depending on how much your potential customers like the toning.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks to all. So the consensus is NT.

One more question... what is a doily?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One more question... what is a doily? >>

An early version of a PCGS holder. The label looked like a doily.

Russ, NCNE
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT.

Though the reverse is sort of scudzy.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Natural all day long.........I base my opinion on the shadow effect, or is it affect ?

Nice coin, I like!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot tell from the photo. In hand I could determine if it is "Texas toning," but I need to see how the toning sits on the coin....from this single photo, I'd judge likely NT. The reverse looks ok.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Undoubtedly natural.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries . . .

I PM'd him on the Doily. Thanks to Russ though. He curt through all my BS and gave him the straight scoop. But maybe I'll make a Doily Hunter out of him???

Drunner
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot tell from the photo. In hand I could determine if it is "Texas toning," but I need to see how the toning sits on the coin....from this single photo, I'd judge likely NT. The reverse looks ok. >>

What is "Texas toning" out of curiousity? Thanks!
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    NT

<< <i>Thanks to all. So the consensus is NT.

One more question... what is a doily? >>

See sig line!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End of roll toner. Pretty typical NT. Not bad, but I don't like blotchy toning.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the natural crowd and wouldn't mind that one as a 1902 example for us.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Natural all day long.........I base my opinion on the shadow effect, or is it affect ?

Nice coin, I like!

Herb >>

effect is the right word.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm with the NT crowd judging from the pictures, and a nice coin to boot.
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    NT, but not my cup of tea. I'll bet there are plenty of others who would absolutely love this one though.
  • nt
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    NT
  • thank you Tom!image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

• << <i>I bought this coin a few years ago for just the going rate of unc dollars (probably $20-22 at the time). No premiums paid, nor was one wanted from who I was buying it from. But... the coin has very vivid toning that I am not sure about. 1902-O, typical flat strike. Here is the coin...What do you think? >>

I'm pretty close to 100% sure it's "real". Look how there are little bits of areas of no toning under the date and stars....that is the key to knowing it is real. How would you add the toning to the areas that are toned while not toning the whole surface and why would anyone do that to that coin?

That is not to say that other NTed coins need to have that shadow effect as someone else called it...it's just often present on Morgans.....my theory is that the Morgan was in a bag and the little microscopic particulates floated down from the bag and in the places where there was an overhang, the particulates didn't come into contact with the coin.....the top of the coin at like 11:00 was closest to the bag and the overhangs there were more infused with through kind of a suspension of air so the overhangs got infused with the sulfer in the bags.....and the bottom of the coin at like 5:00 recieved the most sulfer infused concentrated air....also the bag of coins probably was moved a few times over the decades which makes "reading" the coin more complicated...as time went on the sulfer in the bags was probably turned into sulfur dioxide and less reactive to the coins....and of course the coins became less susecpitble to the toning because of the patina........also i have heard that certain areas of the coin are more impressed...the silver is denser in some areas and less suseptible to toning.....like on the periphery of the devices and the locations that are the top where there are those higher densities of silver were not enough to resist the higher concentration of sulfer.....but at the bottom in the overhangs the more dense silver "resists" the effects of the sulfur.....ok, are we all confused now?...hope not....!!

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought this coin a few years ago for just the going rate of unc dollars (probably $20-22 at the time). No premiums paid, nor was one wanted from who I was buying it from. But... the coin has very vivid toning that I am not sure about. 1902-O, typical flat strike. Here is the coin...What do you think? >>

I'm pretty close to 100% sure it's "real". Look how there are little bits of areas of no toning under the date and stars....that is the key to knowing it is real. How would you add the toning to the areas that are toned while not toning the whole surface and why would anyone do that to that coin?

image >>

In my opinion, that is key to knowing the coin was not dipped prior to attaining the tone. I do not believe that the 'toning shadow' is an accurate indicator of NT/AT. But I do believe that once a coin is dipped, the surface characteristics that cause toning shadow are gone. I've never scientifically proven this and i'm not going to. But i'll stick to my opinion.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    She looks NT to me.

Very nice.

Mike
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "What is "Texas toning" out of curiousity? Thanks! "

Years ago a master doctor (I heard from Texas) perfected a chemical combo that laid on top of the coin producing a color flow similar to this coin. Used extensively on commems, it initially fooled many people. In hand, the lustre disappears when you tilt the coin; also, the rim/edge would give away its origin. Process was later used on frankies, etc. -- some are quite well done.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks NT to me
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file