Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades posted!!! NEWPs Pine Tree shilling and 1879 CC Morgan

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
Both purchased raw, both graded now: Pine Tree VF20 and 1879 CC MS61.

Purchased off Ebay, raw, but with the old NGC insert accompanying. It appeared one morning as an auction with BIN. Full legends on both obv and rev and well-centered, it was just what I was looking for. Yeah, I know, buying a raw Pine Tree is very risky, stupid, dumb, but…he had long-time great feedback, and…I searched around on the web and believe it or not, found a picture of the same coin in its original NGC slab! I could tell it was the same coin – verified by the two light scratches that appear on the obv. So I got the seller to lower the BIN to around his auction start price and plunged in! I figured with Ebay buyer protection I had nothing to lose. I sent it back to NGC and the grade just posted – VF20. Considering I just got blown out of the water on an F12 at Heritage that went for $3450, I think this one was a pretty good deal at $2250 (after Ebay bucks, Mr Rebates and CC rebate). The sellers pics are first, NGC’s follow.

Even better, this 1879 CC Morgan sat for almost three days on Ebay before I found it. The sellers pics were blurry, but not so blurry you couldn’t see the key diagnostics. It appeared to have great luster and some light rim toning on the rev. I just received it today and it is gorgeous! Blast white mostly, absolutely full cartwheel luster on both sides, a little weakly struck above the ear and on the eagle’s chest as is common with these, but very little chatter on both the obv and rev. It is on its way to our hosts tomorrow and could easily score a low MS grade - no worse than AU58 (there are some dirt or grime specs trapped between some of the dentil recesses on the obv). It’s a huge upgrade to my CC set and a pretty awesome for only $350. The sellers pics are first, mine follow.

***** Grade just posted - MS61.

The deals are still out there if you look hard! Cheers!

Comments

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Pine Tree!! That's a coin on my bucket list! Awesome!image
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks stories like this would make for a great TV show? Nice work.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Are you going to have the PT reholdered? I don't know what would possess someone to crack it out in the first place.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It lost 0.1 grains since last time image
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    You did very well on the Pine Tree!
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet! Are you going to have the PT reholdered? I don't know what would possess someone to crack it out in the first place. >>

That picture of it IS in its new holder. I sent it back to NGC and it had to go through the normal grading process all over again. I can't think of why anyone would crack it out in the first place, either. I'm very happy with it. I have dreamed of having one since I got my first red book many, many moons ago!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That CC morgan appears to have very original skin to it.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YOU SUCK on the CC at least!

3 days??? Where the heck was I?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum tradition says you cannot claim a suck before being awarded the suckage, that sucks for you! image
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't think of why anyone would crack it out in the first place, either. >>

I know you may find this hard to believe, but there are many, many collectors of these coins who keep them raw and can't think of a reason why anyone would put one in a slab!
  • RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Your Pine Tree is pretty exceptional. Congrats on getting a great price on such a great coin!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    That Pine Tree is GREAT! I just LOVE those, and will definitely have to wait till after I graduate and get a REAL job before I can get one of those (unless I stumble on a stash of Doilies, with no premium for the Doily, and let DRUNNER know.....then it could be possible!...lol). I'd love one to go with my Mass half cent and cent.

<< <i>It lost 0.1 grains since last time image >>

How can that be? Could it be that their scales need calibrating, or.....??? I know it's only 1/10th grains, but still, other than their scales not being calibrated and in synch, how can that be possible???

And that '79 CC looks great! Hard to believe it sat for 3 days at that price. '82/'83/'84 CC's in MS63 aren't going for a whole lot less. Though, is that a bit of rim damage at 12:00, or is that something else? As Meltdown said, it looks to have some nice skin on it. Other than a few hits, if that isn't rim damage at 12:00, that looks to be much better than MS60, for sure, IMO. It looks nicer than my '82 CC, graded in it's GSA holder at MS63.
    I'll come up with something.

<< <i>Though, is that a bit of rim damage at 12:00, or is that something else? >>

Yes, a very tiny rim nick at 12:00. It doesn't extend beyond the rim or into the reeding. I don't think it is significant. It has great luster front and back and I think it has a good shot at the low MS range. It certainly beats my VF35 to heck!

And thanks for all the kudos on the Pine Tree! It certainly has its original skin - it is definitely the most crusty looking coin in my collection, and I suppose a coin that is 350 years old should be crusty!!!
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on the Pine Tree!! That's a coin on my bucket list! Awesome!image >>

Its on my Bucket List as well.

Nice pickup's, congrats !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • I think the pine tree is uber cool!!
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool pickups.

<< <i>The sellers pics are first, NGC’s follow. >>

Wow, are NGC's in-house photos that awful?

I saw they charge only 3 bucks per coin (as compared to PCGS TrueView at what, $20, now?), but, geez- that's awful. (The second set of slab pics, not the coin, obviously.)

I'll bet the fact of it being cracked out saved you some major dough.

<< <i>(after Ebay bucks, Mr Rebates and CC rebate) >>

What's "Mr Rebates"?

Obviously you've got a sharp eye for a bargain- congrats.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WOW! on the Pine Tree! Congratulations! image

And if the 79cc is "a huge upgrade" - let me know if you want to let go of your old one.... image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool pine tree ( and cc as well ) image
    The 1879 CC grade just posted...MS61!!! This is the happiest I have ever been for an MS61! Yippee, my best rip/pick/score ever!!!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1879 CC grade just posted...MS61!!! This is the happiest I have ever been for an MS61! Yippee, my best score ever!!! >>

Looks very conservatively scored at just 61. Well done!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1879 CC grade just posted...MS61!!! This is the happiest I have ever been for an MS61! Yippee, my best score ever!!! >>

I am soooo happppy for youimage

imagebob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file