Home U.S. Coin Forum

1881 liberty nickel

I was just starting to sort through a family collection of coins and i came across an 1881 liberty nickel. Searching the internet i have found that some 81 & 82 were made before official release. Anyone know the values of such a coin

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless circulated, any 1881 Liberty Nickel pattern should be worth at least 2K.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not doubting you but check to make sure it's not either an 1891 or an 1881 three cent piece. A picture here would be worth a thousand words.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photos Please
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Thanks for the quick reply.
    I will try to get a pic this weekend.

It is definately 1881. I even took magnifying glass and had another look at date too to confirm to make sure i wasnt seeing something. Espesially after i went online and couldnt find a whole lot. I had to double checl and ask someone else to look at it. Unfortunately we dont much about coins other than dont shine em.

I will get pic up as soon as i can

thank you
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two pattern V nickels, in three metalergic compositions for 1881. J1671 pictured first (Nickel), J1672 (Copper), J1673 (Aluminum), and J1674a (Nickel) pictured second. The J1674a has "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the reverse, but there are no known surviving examples, outside of the pictured example that is housed at the Smithsonian.
    I am interested in seeing your photos. Liberty nickels are my main area of interest and I would love to purchase a pattern 1881 if that's what you have and want to sell it.

By the way, IF what you have is an 1881 pattern, there are only 10 known examples in all grades at PCGS, and 9 in all grades at NGC. The last public sale on record was March 24th, 2005. It was a PCGS PR65 and sold for $5,750. Here is the link to the auction at Heritage: Heritage Auction Link

Best regards,
    Dwayne Sessom
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, now wouldn't that be something.

I seem to recall somebody buying an Indian cent (was it in a bulk lot? I forget) which turned out to be a pattern. Anybody else remember this? It was on the forums, a few years back.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Here is another that sold at Heritage in March, 2004 but it is a circulated piece (PR30) that was probably carried as a pocket piece. Still, I wish I could locate this example. It would be awesome to own ANY 1881 pattern V nickel and this is an affordable yet attractive example.

1881 Pattern PR30 at Heritage from 2004

Dwayne Sessom
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I seem to recall somebody buying an Indian cent (was it in a bulk lot? I forget) which turned out to be a pattern. Anybody else remember this? It was on the forums, a few years back. >>

I don't recall it, but I don't doubt it. I understand quite a few pattern Indian cents were made, and sets of (I think) the 8 known patterns were made available to the public for purchase. I'm guessing the 1881 V nickel is a much scarcer critter.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth mentioning that all 1881 pattern nickels have a legend on the obverse, compared to the adopted design which instead has stars.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    Dang. I was really hoping to see some photos of this 1881 Liberty nickel pattern - if that's what it is.

Guess not... ?
    Dwayne Sessom
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this coin was listed on eBay multiple times in recent years.

<< <i>Here is another that sold at Heritage in March, 2004 but it is a circulated piece (PR30) that was probably carried as a pocket piece. Still, I wish I could locate this example. It would be awesome to own ANY 1881 pattern V nickel and this is an affordable yet attractive example.

1881 Pattern PR30 at Heritage from 2004

image >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file