Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA 9 1935 National Chicle Nagurski (aka Honus Wagner of Football Cards) Article

Holy Grail of Football Cards Commands Record Price
Posted by Editor on 1/20/11 • Categorized as Vintage Sports Card News

The most iconic football card in the hobby has set a new sales record.

The only PSA 9 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski has been sold for $350,000 recently in a private transaction brokered by Memory Lane Inc.

The card had been the centerpiece of a collector’s number one all-time finest Hall of Fame rookie cards set listed on PSA’s Set Registry. It was recently purchased by another collector on the east coast who has chosen to remain anonymous.

The 1935 National Chicle Nagurski is the most valuable football card and was ranked 17th on the list of the hobby’s most important sports cards compiled for publication in Collecting Sports Legends, a coffee table book chronicling the most important sports cards and memorabilia.

It is a difficult card to locate in any condition because it is part of the scarce high number series in a set that is rare in and of itself. Pro football was barely a blip on the radar screen of most sports fans in the 1930s and not many were printed or sold. Nagurski represents the hard-nosed, leather helmet play of the era and his hard charging image on the front of the card is instantly recognizable.

PSA has never graded a 1935 National Chicle Nagurski in a ‘10’ and no PSA 9 Nagurski cards have emerged since, keeping the recently sold example as a one-of-a-kind vintage football card with no peer in PSA annals.

“This is a landmark sale and it was exciting to be a part of it,” said Memory Lane’s J.P. Cohen. “It shows that the high end vintage card market is not just thriving for baseball cards but for all scarce, high-grade cards from other sports as well. The demand for 1-of-1 cards like this is greater than ever and some feel that a private transaction is the best way to acquire the tough cards they need.”

The sale of the Nagurski card is a prelude to Memory Lane’s Second Annual Big Game Auction, a football-only event that begins January 21 and concludes February 5, the day before Super Bowl XLV.

The Nagurski card represents the latest high dollar transaction handled by Memory Lane. The company has also helped other iconic cards and memorabilia change hands including: T206 Honus Wagner ($925,000), 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 10 ($600,000), 1956 Topps Baseball #1 All-Time Finest set ($550,000), 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 9 ($375,000), 1927 New York Yankees team signed photo ($350,000, 1954 Topps Hank Aaron Rookie Card PSA 10 ($250,000) and a 1948 Bowman George Mikan Rookie Card PSA 10 ($218,550).

Comments

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Call me kooky but I think this card is an INSANELY good investment at 350k.
  • Options
    Well, I remember when the Wagner PSA 8 was $400K and everyone thought that was nuts...football is quickly making a run to rival baseball as the "Great American Pastime". In that respect, the Nagurski would seem to have the potential for a lot of upward appreciation in price, even from what seems to most to be a lofty level for a piece of cardboard. What are others views here? Gorgeous card no doubt, but good investment looking back in 10 years or not? Good topic for discussion.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I remember when the Wagner PSA 8 was $400K and everyone thought that was nuts...football is quickly making a run to rival baseball as the "Great American Pastime". In that respect, the Nagurski would seem to have the potential for a lot of upward appreciation in price, even from what seems to most to be a lofty level for a piece of cardboard. What are others views here? Gorgeous card no doubt, but good investment looking back in 10 years or not? Good topic for discussion. >>

Since the card sells for $10K+ in EX/MT graded condition, and multiples of that in Near Mint and NM/MT, this card has emerged as being popular, rare, and a condition rarity. I was really expecting to write a response that it was hard to imagine significant appreciation of this card in the future. But given the factors stated, I think it is a decent buy for that price. I'm not sure if there is necessarily someone in the wings waiting to pay $500K for the card -- but if crazy money enters the FB card hobby, this is the card that will be wanted.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Mikeschmidt...another way to look at it might be that from 2003-2006 the card tripled from 80K to 240K (sold on ebay 80K in 2003 then for 240K in 06)...and then from 06-10, during a period where assets like homes and equities deflated, the Nagurski appreciated from 240K to 350K, not the same rate of appreciation certainly as 03-06 but given the context and macro environment still awfully good. In a better economic climate, the rate for faster appreciation should be there, otherwise it is likely a good store of value and I would think yield modest appreciation, especially with the Fed printing money like mad.
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Gee - the $110,000 + or - gain couldnt have happened to a "nicer" guy!
  • Options
    Macoube, why is "nicer" in quotation marks? In any event, do you have any insight to add regarding what you think of the card as an investment/piece of history and oppty for future price appreciation?
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    The quote is related to personal experiences I had with the previous owner.

My opinion of that card? I've seen two 8's that look better (one of which is infinitely better)............talk about "buying the grade"................I think if the 9 was cracked out and re-subbed, it would be lucky to get an 8!

Also, I feel the rarity of the card is not overwhelmingly significant, compared to monster 1/1's like the Wagner 8. The chances of there being another Wagner 8 (or higher) are virtually zero. The chances of there being another Nagurski 9 (or higher) are not that high, but they are much, much greater than the Wagner.

Personally, I think $350,000K in this market is a great deal for the seller, and not such a great deal for the buyer.
  • Options
    350K is a lot of coin...no question. But I would have to think with PSA's strict grading standards the odds of another 1935 National Chicle Nagurski 9 are pretty close to zero. I mean it's rare even to see an 8 get graded these days. The 8s are OK, and there is an 8.5 I believe, but in my opinion the 9 is far superior in terms of its razor sharp corners and pack fresh eye appeal. In my view only the centering keeps it from being a 10. Therefore, it stands in a class by itself. I remember when this card sold for 80K and people were shocked, then 3 yrs later 240K, and now 350K...and always everyone is shocked. The odds that there will always be somebody out there with so much money they dont know what to do with it and who wants to own the best anything in existence, be it a baseball card, football card, piece of artwork, etc. is what in my view makes collecting at the high end if one can afford it a far better investment. I agree with the guy who said "calll me kooky"...in 10 years I bet this price will look cheap.

Nice 55 AAs btw, some real nice cards you have posted in high grade, outside of the 35 Chicle and 33 Sport Kings cards in high grade, those are some of the cooler football cards I've seen.

• Options

<< <i>
    My opinion of that card? I've seen two 8's that look better (one of which is infinitely better)............talk about "buying the grade"................I think if the 9 was cracked out and re-subbed, it would be lucky to get an 8!

. >>

It was in an SGC 96 holder too, are you saying the two biggest grading companies out there missed something that you have managed to pick up in the scan? Granted, its not the nicest centered Nag Ive ever seen, but you have to respect the fact that its not just PSA's eyes that have been on it.

Stick to your 55's Mac, you're out of your league.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The quote is related to personal experiences I had with the previous owner.

Also, I feel the rarity of the card is not overwhelmingly significant, compared to monster 1/1's like the Wagner 8. The chances of there being another Wagner 8 (or higher) are virtually zero. The chances of there being another Nagurski 9 (or higher) are not that high, but they are much, much greater than the Wagner.

Personally, I think $350,000K in this market is a great deal for the seller, and not such a great deal for the buyer. >>

Sounds like someone got outbid by the "previous owner" and now has sour grapes...Or he wasn't interested in paying your exorbitant prices for your 55's...

Publius said it best "Stick to your 55's Mac, you're out of your league."

I wonder if you would be singing the same tune if this was a card that came from your 55 All-American box??? The ones that were pimped relentlessly on these message boards. Those rose colored glasses never work very well...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Stick to your 55's Mac, you're out of your league. >>

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that this is about the "non sale" of the PSA 10 Hutson. I could be way off though.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Stick to your 55's Mac, you're out of your league. >>

Snorto~
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Since prices realized from sales of SGC or PSA graded cards are much higher than all other grading card companies...
    I would assume then that buyer confidence in these two companies is also higher when dealing with vintage cards.

The holly grail of cards is a showcase and deserving of the holly grail of companies grading it. Due to the importance of the card I would bet that many opinions were sought
    and it didn't leave the house until J. O. put his stamp on it. Would you want future viewers of the most important card your company has ever graded saying, "thats an overgraded 8?"
    Is that the impression you want? I don't think so!!!!!!

Does PSA & SGC get it wrong sometimes...absolutely. Nothing is perfect in this world. Especially when we are dealing with objectivity of the graders and collector alike.
    I would bet the odds in this case are 350,000:1 PSA got it right.

If I had the means I would be all over this card at that price. My comments and this thread really mean nothing as there was a buyer who didn't question the grade of 9.
    In a realistic economy something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Since this card was bundled with other very high end museum pieces I would be willing to bet
    the buyer knew what they were doing.

Kudos to the seller. He has personnaly raised the level of vintage FB card collecting to a new level by himself. Kudos to the buyer for keeping this hobby/investing at this high level.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    4:30 Jay? Really? I'll have to send you some melatonin image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    andy
    When I send u ur card I'll send u a bottle of Visine.
    Look at the time again
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I think the issue with the 55 All American set is that while it is aesthetically a cool looking set, it lacks rookie cards of any great significance. Nothing in that set would even be in my top 10. Which begs the question, what are people's TOP 10 FOOTBALL CARDS OF ALL TIME assuming you could own in the highest grade out there and $ were not an object?
  • Options
    The 1955 All-American set is very aesthetically pleasing. The Don Hutson RC is a pretty significant rookie card, with the Ernie Nevers RC a clear second for most. I'm personally a pro rather than college football fan, which has limited the '55 AAs collegiate appeal for me. That probably doesn't affect many collectors. The subject card of this thread's title depicts the pennant of Bronko's alma mater rather than that of the Chicago Bears.

Top 10 Football Cards of All-Time is a fun topic that will get traction with it's own thread in the Sports Cards and Memorabilia Forum.
  • Options
    I dont consider the Hutson or Nevers marquis rookie cards...Im mean are they OK, yeah, but we arent talking Brown, Namath, Unitas, Starr, Luckman, or even Ditka or Tarkenton for that matter...the Nagurski card is a classic pose on the front, though you are right, a collegiate one, but on the back of the card it does talk extensively about the Bears. I don't know, given Nagurski's reputation for being impossible to bring down, that hard charging image seems appropriate for his RC. I think back in 1935 Football wasnt really even on people's radar, everyone was watching Ruth etc and focused on baseball...that's what propbably kept the production of the 35 Chicle set so low and the reason why so few remain in high grade. Wagner = #1 baseball card, Nagurski = #1 football card, and the PSA 10 Mikan = #1 basketball card...and I'd rank them in that order 1,2 & 3 in terms of desirability and overall historical import.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stick to your 55's Mac, you're out of your league. >>

LMAO and couldn't have said it better.

Kudos to the buyer. Sure, Jon realized a nice return on his investment, but I think the buyer and his analysis of the future of the FB market are spot on and this card will probably be $500-750K 5+ years down the road with the PSA 8's probably eclipsing $85K.

Regarding the 55AA Set, it's a great set, but I don't think it is on par with such keystone issues as 1935 National Chicle, 1948 Leaf and 1952 Bowman Large. Heck, I'm not even sure it makes the the Top 3 Topps issues... Sure, The Four Horsemen, Hutson, Friedman, Stagg and Nevers are nice, but as has been stated, they're rookies in name only. The AA's are more of a historic compilation than anything else.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    The AA's are more of a historic compilation than anything else.

...oh and stick to the 55's

zing!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I dont follow football cards closely...... How rare is this Nagurski card?

Ive seen pics of it dozens of times but never cared....

Some Questions...

When was the last one "discovered"? (new to the hobby)

Obviously it must be short printed to receive so much attention and being compared to the T206 Wagner.... why was it short printed? broken plate? no contract? gimmick so kids buy more packs??

est. 20 known? 50 known, 100 known???
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>The 1955 All-American set is very aesthetically pleasing. The Don Hutson RC is a pretty significant rookie card, with the Ernie Nevers RC a clear second for most. I'm personally a pro rather than college football fan, which has limited the '55 AAs collegiate appeal for me. That probably doesn't affect many collectors. The subject card of this thread's title depicts the pennant of Bronko's alma mater rather than that of the Chicago Bears.

Top 10 Football Cards of All-Time is a fun topic that will get traction with it's own thread in the Sports Cards and Memorabilia Forum. >>

Rookie card 24 years after you retire??? image lol

Nevers was 53 years old and been retires from playing for close to 24 years when the 1955 set was printed....
    wacky rookie card rules lol image

PS the guy was playing baseball in the 1920s, and has a handful of cards from 1920s-30 in PCL and in MLB

• Options
    Actually, this is Nevers RC

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I guess in the case of the Nevers cards, it would be dependent on what you consider a "rookie" card. It certainly is not and has never been by any standard the first picture of a guy on any card of any type. If I print a card on my home printer of a High School football player, and he turns out to be a HOFer, is that his rookie?

There are industry standards on what is and what isn't a rookie. Individual opinions usually don't carry as much weight.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There are many issues of some of the prewar greats, but sadly, they are not considered mainstream enough to meet the criteria established for the Registry. Shotwells, Diamond Matchbooks, Mayfairs, et al all predate the Chicle, Leaf and Bowman issues...
  • Options

<< <i>There are many issues of some of the prewar greats, but sadly, they are not considered mainstream enough to meet the criteria established for the Registry. Shotwells, Diamond Matchbooks, Mayfairs, et al all predate the Chicle, Leaf and Bowman issues... >>

Yep, not just the Registry either...None of those meet any guidelines ever published on what is considered a rookie card. Not saying I agree or disagree, just making the point that there are so many opinions on what a rookie card is...To each his own, but you'd have a tough case proving that any of these were really rookie cards...Like my example above..If I print my own cards at home of a high school team, and one of those guys goes on to be a HOFer, is that then his rookie? Always a fun debate!

Jason
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I always thought a rookie card was a players first appearance on a card.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Not according to some

First you have to define what a "card" is? Is the side of a wheaties box a card? What about ice cream lids? or Matchbooks? or postcards meant to be sent thru the mail? or promotional piece put out by department stores? I would venture to guess that most would answer no to all the above. From what others have said here before, I am in the minority on this issue. I'm fine with that (makes for less competition)

Unfortuantly, there is no clear cut standards on what is considered a card. It is all someone's opinion.

I like collecting the oddball and very difficult to find items including all the above. My want list is one that will never be completed do the the rarity of the issues. Some people only want to collect cards (or items) that they know they can find. I love the feeling of landing one of the "near impossible" cards on my want list. I just picked up a 1933 Diamond Matchbook of Turk Edwards last week that may be a one of a kind item. That's what makes collecting fun for me. I would get burnt out just upgrading my HOF RC set.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave is 100% correct. There are just too many opinions on what a true CARD is much less what a rookie card is. The thing about collecting, you get to make your own decision on it. Collect what you like, and don't let PSA or Beckett or anyone else define your beliefs. With that being said, as it related to the PSA Registry, we are all bound by whatever PSA decides. It is then up to each collector to determine if they want to participate or even try to complete a particular PSA Registered set.

When it comes to Nevers, which is what started this conversation, PSA defines the Nevers RC as the 1955 Topps AA.

Jason
  • Options
    dave
    An absolutely beautifull rookie card !!!!!!!
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I guess I should have mentioned....

the Nevers I posted is not mine but belongs to a good collecting friend of mine. It's one of my many white whale cards that I may never pick up.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    I think this whole rookie card argument is one of the things that makes the 35 National Chicle set and the Nagurski in particular so special...the fact that there wasnt another football set produced by a major manufacturer until Leaf, some 15 yrs later. That is a big gap in time, though I'm sure there are obscure issues like the cool Nevers card from the 20s somebody posted.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    EO,
    You made a nice buy on that Nagurski and the other key RC's.
    I'm sure you'll do fine with them down the road if you ever
    want to sell them off.