Home U.S. Coin Forum

10 Year Anniversaries! Who are you?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who has a 10 year anniversary coming up now that 2011 is upon us. A rare breed indeed of those who joined the boards in 2001.
Will there be any celebrations or special give-aways? Don't be shy, what do you say?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DATE JOINED: November 26th, 2001 2:23 AM

I'll be happy to accept any giveaways in celebration of my 10th anniversary!

Cheers,

Bob
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While lacking on posts overall I've hit this board almost daily since joining.

So I get a $10 Indian right?
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DATE JOINED: November 26th, 2001 2:23 AM

I'll be happy to accept any giveaways in celebration of my 10th anniversary!

Cheers,

Bob >>

I think this could be a banner year for PCGS & CU for recruiting new members. They could give away free grading or sample slabs.

Leo image

• I guess I was alittle later
  • I guess it HAS almost been 10 years now.

Used the site for awhile before I joined

I've had 2 nice Registry Sets...

One that hit number 4...Jefferson Nickel Circulation Strikes

And I think my old US Type Set was at number 5 at its peak

Learned a bunch

Met some great people

1 March 2001

<< <i>I guess it HAS almost been 10 years now.

Used the site for awhile before I joined

I've had 2 nice Registry Sets...

One that hit number 4...Jefferson Nickel Circulation Strikes

And I think my old US Type Set was at number 5 at its peak

Learned a bunch

Met some great people

1 March 2001 >>

And now....you can't give those nickels away if you tried! image

But you make a good point! Posters can tell us what they have accomplished in the last 10 years since joining.

Leo

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I joined in either 1998 or 1999, I can't remember exactly. Those that have a February 2001 date were already members, but that is the start of the software for these boards.

It's been a blast and educational for the whole time. I love this place.
    Tom

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    It will be 10 years for me but much later this year.

As can be seen below my avatar, I joined in October of 2001.

Mike
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I qualify... been here since the beginning.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

<< <i>I joined in either 1998 or 1999, I can't remember exactly. Those that have a February 2001 date were already members, but that is the start of the software for these boards.

It's been a blast and educational for the whole time. I love this place. >>

That does remind me that I was a member before I got married and had the reboot/2001 thing here. Was on in 1999, married in Feb 2000, and I had been on the sportscard side. Made a new account after the reboot.

I'll have to check any old Don West emails I have flying around on my account to be sure of the exact dates, as I remember linking my little fan site I made when he was on HSN and we all had fun watching him sell cards, Nuuuuuttttsssss. Too funny that when he got let go I wrote that he should be a wrestling announcer...ta-da.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. I'll be 10 next month.
    Larry

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    Posting so I can see my join date.

Edited to add that it looks like I'm coming up on 10 years too.

WH
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm like DrBuster, I initially joined around 1999 under my comcast.net e-mail address. I rejoined under my msn.com address Oct 4, 2001... it was the first day I needed to ask a question even though I was reading the board most days. It was more humorous (political, religious, hazing) on the boards and less educational back in the day.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Feb. 23, 2001 was the first day of the boards using this software. I had joined just a few months earlier before they switched and we all had to re-register. Things were a lot slower on the boards back then.

You can see what member number you are by hovering your mouse over the show profile icon (the glasses) on any post you made. The status bar in your browser will show the link and the number following "ProfileID=" is your number. As of now we have 32,122 members.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>I joined in either 1998 or 1999, I can't remember exactly. Those that have a February 2001 date were already members, but that is the start of the software for these boards.

It's been a blast and educational for the whole time. I love this place. >>

Same here. Could not have said it better.image
    Gary

<< <i>I'm like DrBuster, I initially joined around 1999 under my comcast.net e-mail address. I rejoined under my msn.com address Oct 4, 2001... it was the first day I needed to ask a question even though I was reading the board most days. It was more humorous (political, religious, hazing) on the boards and less educational back in the day. >>

Yes it was. Open forum days, it was like the wild west in here for a good stretch.

Going by kranky's tip, member #1478
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can see what member number you are by hovering your mouse over the show profile icon (the glasses) on any post you made. The status bar in your browser will show the link and the number following "ProfileID=" is your number. As of now we have 32,122 members. >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not work for me?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fun seeing the old timers coming out in this thread. It's like a class reunion!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I resemble that remark!image

It's been a fun 10 years.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oct 2001

• Has it been that long?image

So where do you go to get the free double eagle?

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Who am I? Heck, half the time I don't even know

where I am.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    November of 2001 here. 3351st post.

Was inactive here for a long time though.
    imageimage

<< <i>Feb. 23, 2001 was the first day of the boards using this software. I had joined just a few months earlier before they switched and we all had to re-register. Things were a lot slower on the boards back then.

You can see what member number you are by hovering your mouse over the show profile icon (the glasses) on any post you made. The status bar in your browser will show the link and the number following "ProfileID=" is your number. As of now we have 32,122 members. >>

Neat trick Kranky! By changing the profile number you can see early joiners. There's no 1, 2, 3 or 5 but here are the next few:

#8 and #9

#10 (The earliest currently active joiner? (last post in October but visited earlier this week))

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joined in October, 2001, when I was a wee 14 year old image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I remember the old board,

I am happy to say that I have met many of the old timers,

met lots of newbe's also.image

Brian
    NUMO
    PQpeace comes in at #16

kranky is at #28

ArtT is at #35

TomB is at #54

mrpasseo is at #57

itsnotjustme was #63
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

GRANDAM wrote:

"This does not work for me?"
    -----

You are number 5623.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PQpeace comes in at #16

kranky is at #28

ArtT is at #35

TomB is at #54

mrpasseo is at #57

itsnotjustme was #63 >>

Pretty cool!!!

I am in at 12,974

A little late.

Joe
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GRANDAM wrote:

-----

You are number 5623.

~ >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! I wonder why it doesn't show for me?

I kinda remembered I was around 5,000 and something when I joined. I also remember there were only about 3500 total sets of all demonations in the registry when I registered my 1st set imageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)

<< <i>

<< <i>GRANDAM wrote:

-----

You are number 5623.

~ >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! I wonder why it doesn't show for me?

I kinda remembered I was around 5,000 and something when I joined. I also remember there were only about 3500 total sets of all demonations in the registry when I registered my 1st set imageimage

GrandAm image >>

Likely, you, your browser is not allowing popup windows. Tsk, tsk!

Leo image

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    That is too cool!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have a somewhat sinister profile number...
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    March 2001 here.

Time sure does fly by.

My number does not pop up for some reason. Anybody care to check for me?

<< <i>March 2001 here.

Time sure does fly by.

My number does not pop up for some reason. Anybody care to check for me? >>

You're 766.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Wow.

It certainly doesn't feel like 10 years!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    What ever happened to board member Merz2? I talked with him quite a bit back then when I was hot and heavy into my Lincoln Registry set.
    When this board started it was a mad rush to join. No one knew just how long the old board would still be up.
    Those were crazy times. PCGS handled it really well. I'm thinking all of the old stuff is long gone except for a few things folks may have saved.
    Larry

<< <i>Joined in October, 2001, when I was a wee 14 year old image >>

And you were teaching us older folks how to keep our systems running and how to take an image and more. We have so many cool members here.
    Larry

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the old board and am on this board. My profile number is 54 or thereabouts, if I recall correctly, but I believe Pat Braddick might have a significantly lower number.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I was on the old boards too.

<< <i> Posters can tell us what they have accomplished in the last 10 years since joining.
    Leo >>

For me, I had not bought a single coin in many years before I found this board. Didn't know anyone who collected, but I kept my ANA membership and Coin World subscriptions active all that time (who knows why). Getting to "know" people here reinvigorated my interest. Then a few months after joining I got a PM from PTVETTER, which gave me a local connection. Had the opportunity to meet many other board members at some shows. Decided to go to the ANA Summer Seminar twice. All the better coins I have, I acquired after joining here. And I have a couple other very cool non-coin things given to me from members here. So nearly everything I've been able to do with my collection happened after finding this place. I can't express how appreciative I am that PCGS sponsors it, and for the members here who share what they know. The vast majority here, and 99% of the ones I have met in person, are just good people.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be joining the CU Forum "Decade Club" later this year. Last night I had my 44,444th post and posted a frivolous thread entitled "44444" ("post anything with a 4 in it"), but the thread got mysteriously nuked. Ah, well. It wasn't like it was that enlightening.

So the February 2001 people are the oldest of the old timers, huh? Come to think of it, I believe I also joined before the current boards- perhaps in 2000 or so, but didn't really start posting until the August 2001 date you see below my avatar.

I remember seeing the 9/11 breaking news being discussed on the forums, as do many of you fellow oldtimers. (Although I personally didn't log on until that afternoon.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the old boards (1997) before these "new" ones.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined this board on October 2, 2001. I was really into the Registry in those early days, and had high rankings in the Washington quarter and Mercury dime sets. It was fun to share new acquisitions with board members, and to congratulate each other. It was a smaller, more friendly place then, but there are still many informative posts. After retiring later this year, I should be able to post more frequently.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    great thread! every person who has a 2001 join date seems to be a really nice
    person based on what i read on this forum.

except that tomb guy! he is a trouble maker ;-)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just learned I'm number 2812.

Guess I'm not quite the old-timer I thought I was.

Nor am I top ten in post count, either.

<< <i>Top 10 User Listing
    77431 coinhead1
    76004 clw54
    69564 XpipedreamR
    66973 mdwoods
    63408 Russ
    56179 coincop
    53846 kieferscoins
    52546 jonesy
    47105 laserart
    46870 cosmicdebris >>

How many of these folks do you see around anymore? I haven't seen Claw (clw54) in a while. Russ, yeah. Mdwoods... hmm... been a while. I've seen laserart a time or two lately, I think? Cosmic? Been a long time. A lot of these folks just aren't posting like they used to (mostly because there is no Open Forum anymore, I suppose). And two of 'em have passed on, including Number 1. Deceased for a few years now, and his post count still reigns supreme (and likely will, for quite some time). I can remember when the numbers on that top ten list were much lower. I always seemed to hover just below the bottom of the list- maybe top 20, but never top 10. I guess that's a good thing that I sometimes leave the forum for months at a time. Even I get tired of me sometimes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I also belonged to the older forum under a different handle. Maybe 1999 or so. Been quite a few years anyway.

So what's my number (not visible to me)? Thanks.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also belonged to the older forum under a different handle. Maybe 1999 or so. Been quite a few years anyway.

So what's my number (not visible to me)? Thanks. >>

you are #53

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file