Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did I read the CW article correctly? Is there another sticker service in the offing?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was perusing the latest issue of Coin World last evening. I nearly did a spit-take with my 35 year old Scotch when I read that a new sticker service is in the offing. If I recall correctly, Mike Ellis and someone else will not be offering stickers. I understand that these stickers indicate whether the coin is solid for the grade. They also offer a variety designation service, no doubt utilizing another sticker.

Did I read this correctly?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. They were set up at FUN, and IIRC their focus is varieties.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike Ellis and someone else will not be offering stickers

imageimage
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Longacre should offer stickers......
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN should - isn't he a past grading champion??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I've been trying to send 43 coins to Mike for about a week... I've sent 4 e-mails to the e-mail address on the website and haven't received any response. Not a good first impression! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with grading companies, I am loyal to only one sticker service. I do not care how many come after.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre is not blind. Well, Eagle Eye, CAC, and a few others "Quality sticker" coins. I'm sure we will see others pop up.

But honestly, eye appeal and even grading to some degree is subjective. It always has been and I'm sure will continue to be. A grade on the slab from our hosts, is at least, a guarantee of value. Stickers on the other hand are someones opinion that a coin is exceptional. (Generally, I agree too) But that doesn't mean everyone will agree.
    I have seen a few CAC stickered coins that I thought were horrible looking, mainly because I'm not a big fan of wild toning or dark toning. Although I did see a solid black Morgan one time which did, admittedly, look really attractive.

My point, I guess, is that I honestly don't see the point of "Quality stickering" with one single exception; resaleability. (Is that a word) CAC stickers in particular seem to help sell a coin VS an identical coin without a sticker.

/rant
    Dwayne Sessom
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm using... or hope to us... Mike for one reason; verification. My children and I have assembled the best coins we could find for their mint sets. I just need another set of eyes to verify we are on target... that the 42 coins we've chosen actually merit the grades assigned (we've owned up to a dozen of the same coin, looking for the best example). CAC doesn't offer this service for modern coins; Mike does. Easy choice for us... now if I can just get them to answer my e-mail! image

Edited to add: If a coin doens't get a bubble, we'll know which coins to attack more aggresively when upgrading their sets.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With at least three or four "sticker' companies out there,
    I'd like to suggest a new slab - The SS

The STICKER SLAB

It would be used simply to display the stickers that go on the
    original slab....!! It should be designed to hold up to 8 other
    stickers, and the main 'tag' would refer back to the slab that
    actually contains the coin.

(because we're going to run out of visual space to see the
    coin at some point!)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • I wonder where the placement of the sticker will be on the slab. Let's say I have a Flying Eagle Cent with a Eagle Eye Photo Seal sticker, a CAC sticker, and now this new company. Soon you will not be able to see the coin. I almost forgot the PCGS Secure Plus Shield.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With at least three or four "sticker' companies out there,
    I'd like to suggest a new slab - The SS

The STICKER SLAB

It would be used simply to display the stickers that go on the
    original slab....!! It should be designed to hold up to 8 other
    stickers, and the main 'tag' would refer back to the slab that
    actually contains the coin.

(because we're going to run out of visual space to see the
    coin at some point!) >>

LOL. Forget third-party certification. Now it's sixth-, seventh-, and eighth-party --- for collectors who trust NOBODY'S grading, least of all their own!

By the way, Fred: great new profile icon!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file