Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crackouts and the original labels

Is there a standard protocol among "re-submitters" for disposition of the original TPG labels? I have a coin that I may crack out and re-submit but I am unsure what to do with the original grading label. Do I send it in with the coin? If I do send it in does that influence the new grader/grade? If I don't send it in then how can anyone rely on population reports?! image
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there a standard protocol among "re-submitters" for disposition of the original TPG labels? I have a coin that I may crack out and re-submit but I am unsure what to do with the original grading label. Do I send it in with the coin? If I do send it in does that influence the new grader/grade? If I don't send it in then how can anyone rely on population reports?! image >>

I believe they'll give you 50c for the old labels...

The population reports are only a reference, actual populations will vary.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin is sent in raw, the graders don't know the history. If you crack out a lot of coins, it is prolly better to send in a bunch of inserts separately at one time. If you are an infrequent cracker outer, just send the insert with the coin; it will have no effect on the grade of the coin.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send yours to the Contursi foundation. That way it will go to a good cause when the next 10,000+ are turned in. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hang onto it for now. The cert may be useful later on, should you sell it, particularly if it comes back with a lower grade.

Sending it in now will have no impact on the new grade.

Pop reports are all screwed up as it is, unfortunately.

There is no time limit for sending in old certs. I usually wait until I have enough to make it worthwhile.
    Lance.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just hang onto it for now. The cert may be useful later on, should you sell it, particularly if it comes back with a lower grade.

There is no time limit for sending in old certs. I usually wait until I have enough to make it worthwhile.
    Lance. >>

Yep. There is not much more wasteful to a business than printing and mailing a check for fitty cents.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Most crackout dealers save the labels and return them to the grading companies at a later date. Some grading companies will pay a small bounty for returned labels while others don't.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    I turn in all the PCGS and labels from across the street.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • anyone know if ICG still pays?

The original ICG paid a relatively substantial premium for their inserts, $5 was it?

But since the ICG-ANACS_ICG morphing, I wonder if they still do?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Send yours to the Contursi foundation. That way it will go to a good cause when the next 10,000+ are turned in. image

roadrunner >>

Check your facts please. BTW I haven't checked mine, but recollect that the Contursi hoard was in excess of 13,000. The rebate(?) was donated to some ANA fund. Have our hosts modified this rebate to a 50c credit towards future grading fees?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file