Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins can "turn" over time. Should TPGs offer re-validation stickers?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over time, a coin in a slab can turn different colors, spot, cloud or otherwise change appearances. This happens most frequently to copper coins, as well as to doctored coins of all compositions.

Given this reality, a TPG could offer a "re-validation service", where the graders review the coin in the holder and, assuming the coin still looks right, attach a sticker stating something like "Re-validated 1-20-11".

What do you think?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    That is what the guarantee is for.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of like car tabs........hmmmmmm.

Andy, you come up with some great stuff, but I'm not too sure of this one. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this called "Spot Review" or "Regrade under the Grade Guarantee"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is what the guarantee is for.

The guaranty is most useful for coins that you already own.

The re-validation sticker is most useful on coins that you haven't bought yet.
    Andy Lustig

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we need a fifth party to do this.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Andy, you come up with some great stuff, but I'm not too sure of this one.

Thanks, I think.

Another thought. I can imagine an auction company routinely submitting all important coins for re-validation before every auction. And I'll bet the cost of re-validation would be easily recouped.
    Andy Lustig

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would this be like taking your car in for maintenance every so often?

"Next re-validation recommended at such-and-such date."

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    On the surface, it sounds like a win-win for both PCGS and collectors/dealers. I have to think a bit more about it though, as it could negatively affect, for instance, the Secure+ market uptake and could be less in PCGS' best interest.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem for the services - if they refuse to revalidate, do they have to pay the grading guarantee?

If not, you will have a close to 100% revalidation rate - making the sticker worthless.

Or are you thinking that this would apply only to coins for which the grading guarantee does not exist (ie. PCGS copper). If so, this actually might fly. The services would not be bound by the guarantee, so they would like that part of it, and it would generate more biz too. Collectors would like it since some of their coins can get more "distinction" than others when sold.

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better to get a True View or Secure Plus with a photo?
    It can be compared to the photo.
    Best if the photos are dated so you can see how long it's been stable.
    Ed
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    regrade
    Doug
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    This is a stupid post for so many reasons, but mostly due to the fact that you called one of my posts stupid, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as this oneimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the equilavent of an OGH with 20 stickers on it.........10 validations from PCGS/NGC, 10 from CAC.

Perhaps we need a hockey-puck sized slab but with a regular coin in it?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem for the services - if they refuse to revalidate, do they have to pay the grading guarantee?

If not, you will have a close to 100% revalidation rate - making the sticker worthless.

Or are you thinking that this would apply only to coins for which the grading guarantee does not exist (ie. PCGS copper). If so, this actually might fly. The services would not be bound by the guarantee, so they would like that part of it, and it would generate more biz too. Collectors would like it since some of their coins can get more "distinction" than others when sold. >>

Bingo
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, I will not dignify your question with a response. Oops, I did it againimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Andy, every collector and dealer has a built in re-validation system--our eyes!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

• << <i>Over time, a coin in a slab can turn different colors, spot, cloud or otherwise change appearances. This happens most frequently to copper coins, as well as to doctored coins of all compositions.

Given this reality, a TPG could offer a "re-validation service", where the graders review the coin in the holder and, assuming the coin still looks right, attach a sticker stating something like "Re-validated 1-20-11".

What do you think? >>

I think that is a good idea. Another idea is they could offer another service which would be to put an image of the coin on their site keyed to unique number and then indicate that the photo service was taken advantage of when it was holdered by putting the date of holdering on the back.
    The problem for the services - if they refuse to revalidate, do they have to pay the grading guarantee?

If not, you will have a close to 100% revalidation rate

Coinosaurus - Your lack of trust in the integrity of the TPGs is quite disturbing to me.
    Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file