Worst players not in the HOF

Biancalana?

Others?

Discuss.
Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

Comments

• Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    how about putting this under WORST THREAD ?
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    how about the one who they named the line after.....Mendoza line.....
  • Options
    You would probably have to put some type of parameter on this question, such as the worst FULL TIME player, or worst player with a minimum of 2,000 plate appearances. Because certainly there were bench guys that were the worst, but they only had limited time to show their badness.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    How about listing record holders for bad statistics. I nominate Anthony Young for 27 straight losses as a pitcher.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'll nominate Ray Oyler. Oyler hit .207 with 29 RBI's, 33 runs scored, and an OPS+ of 60 in 1967. Those were his career highs. His overall batting average was .175 with a .258 OBP and a lifetime OPS+ of 48 over 1445 plate appearances. That is dominatingly bad!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll nominate Ray Oyler. Oyler hit .207 with 29 RBI's, 33 runs scored, and an OPS+ of 60 in 1967. Those were his career highs. His overall batting average was .175 with a .258 OBP and a lifetime OPS+ of 48 over 1445 plate appearances. That is dominatingly bad!!! >>

Not to mention he was so mind-numbingly bad that he got replaced by Mickey Stanley (a converted CF) for the 68 Series.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jose Lima was pretty awful...considering he was once a 20 game winner!
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Neifi Perez
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Dave Anderson. A long mediocre career.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll nominate Ray Oyler. Oyler hit .207 with 29 RBI's, 33 runs scored, and an OPS+ of 60 in 1967. Those were his career highs. His overall batting average was .175 with a .258 OBP and a lifetime OPS+ of 48 over 1445 plate appearances. That is dominatingly bad!!! >>

Not to mention he was so mind-numbingly bad that he got replaced by Mickey Stanley (a converted CF) for the 68 Series. >>

Stanley wasn't just a "converted CF" - he was an EXCELLENT CF. In fairness to Oyler, however, the switch was as much to get Al Kaline into the lineup as it was to replace Oyler. Detroit had four legit top-flight OFs in 1968 - Horton, Stanley, Northrup, and Kaline - but only 3 places to play them.

Oyler was unquestionably the worst hitter in baseball history. He hit just .135 in 1968 - but STILL played in 111 games! And, after doing that, the Seattle Pilots still picked him up. He then hit .165 - and the Angels picked him up! He was a defensive wizard but, seriously, how good a glove to you have to have to justify being a .175 hitter?

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not to mention he was so mind-numbingly bad that he got replaced by Mickey Stanley (a converted CF) for the 68 Series. >>

Stanley wasn't just a "converted CF" - he was an EXCELLENT CF. In fairness to Oyler, however, the switch was as much to get Al Kaline into the lineup as it was to replace Oyler. Detroit had four legit top-flight OFs in 1968 - Horton, Stanley, Northrup, and Kaline - but only 3 places to play them.

Oyler was unquestionably the worst hitter in baseball history. He hit just .135 in 1968 - but STILL played in 111 games! And, after doing that, the Seattle Pilots still picked him up. He then hit .165 - and the Angels picked him up! He was a defensive wizard but, seriously, how good a glove to you have to have to justify being a .175 hitter?

Tabe >>

I wasn't meaning to slight Mickey at all - just pointing out that a guy with ZERO pro chances at SS was used to get Oyler's bat out of thelineup in crunch time. Yeah, it was a different era and all, one where an "all-glove, no stick" guy could carve out a career, but Oyler tested the limits of that quite well.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't meaning to slight Mickey at all - just pointing out that a guy with ZERO pro chances at SS was used to get Oyler's bat out of thelineup in crunch time. Yeah, it was a different era and all, one where an "all-glove, no stick" guy could carve out a career, but Oyler tested the limits of that quite well. >>

Mickey played 9 games at SS in 1968 during the regular season, committing 2 errors for a .944 fielding %.

So not quite zero. image

Pretty sure he was error-free at SS in the World Series. And Kaline hit .379. So Mayo made the right call image

Tabe
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    You guys aren't even close.

In 1909 Bill Bergen played in 112 games/154 , batted 346 times with a .139 average. Oh yea , he had (1) double , (1) triple and (1) HR to go with 16 runs and 15 rbi's .

For batters that had over 2, 500 at bats , the second worst batted .210. Bill had a lusty .170 career average.

To his credit , he was perhaps the best defensive catcher of his time. ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I take back the even close part. Ray Oyler was pretty bad.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    PSA has all kinds of "All-Time" sets. Do you think they would allow an "All-Time Worst Baseball Players" set? Or even, a post-war all-time worst players set, that way it would be doable. Ray Oyler, Luis Pujols, Mario Mendoza, all guys that notoriously hit .200 or less for multiple seasons.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Jeter
  • Options

<< <i>Jeter >>

Who's Jeter?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeter is a first ballot HOF SS for the NYY.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wasn't meaning to slight Mickey at all - just pointing out that a guy with ZERO pro chances at SS was used to get Oyler's bat out of thelineup in crunch time. Yeah, it was a different era and all, one where an "all-glove, no stick" guy could carve out a career, but Oyler tested the limits of that quite well. >>

Mickey played 9 games at SS in 1968 during the regular season, committing 2 errors for a .944 fielding %.

So not quite zero. image

Pretty sure he was error-free at SS in the World Series. And Kaline hit .379. So Mayo made the right call image

Tabe >>

OK, that's what I get for paraphrasing instead of making a long post. By "crunch time", I meant the pennant race. He had ZERO pro chances before his Aug 23rd debut at SS. He did make 2 errors in the WS, but neither were meaningful. Fantastic decision by Smith.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------