Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quick Question about errors.

Does pcgs recognize cracked dies as an error on the label?

Comments

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    They have in the past.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends upon the severity and the series
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they will certify a coin as an error with a die crack on it but be certain that it will grade high enough so that you can at least recoup your $50 grading fee if you decide to sell it.

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

Kennedy Story

When I sold one of my MS62 coins, it fetched like $27 if even that. I'd bet the coin in the article and photographed here would fetch considerably more.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Unpdated
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but a coin with minor die cracks, such as those shown herein, are not worth the extra $50 grading fee. They are not worth a significant enough premium to do this. As for the Morgan dollar you have pictured in your auction, cracks on Morgan dollars are very, VERY common. Save your bucks, sell it as you are doing in that link you posted, and then move on to the next one. I would be willing to bet you that grading fee that you will net about equal dollars whether you sell it as is, or send it in for error grading and then relist it.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised someone hasn't comeback with a VAM # on that morgan.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    19Lyds has a hidden jewel in that 2001-P half dollar. Unrecognized by PCGS, this half dollar was struck by reciprocally deformed, convexo-concavo dies. The reverse face bulges out quite a bit and the coin will rock if you place it on a hard, flat surface. The obverse face is just slightly caved in.

This is a unique form of "sunken die" error among U.S. coins.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file