Home U.S. Coin Forum

The BST Buyer Disappearing Act

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
I'm certain many of you have listed items for sale on the BST forum when another member commits to buying only to disappear once you contact them to confirm their purchase and payment details. The disappearing act is something I greatly despise as it is to me a sign of bad courtesy and a disrespect for time and punctuality.

So how long should you wait for a response PM before you re-offer the reserved sale items to the next party down the line?
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    72 hours.
  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    I think 72 hours is fair as well.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Once one commits to buying, I would think that these details would be confirmed within the hour. But my expectations are probably unrealistic.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    48 hours, and that's still too long to wait.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>72 hours. >>

at the max....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The way I handle it is if they don't respond to initial PM or two, I send a final one saying I need to hear from them within 48 hours or I will consider the deal off. I don't really do that much BST, so I actually have only had to do this one time, but I think if in your last effort to reach them, you give them a firm deadline, you've done all you can do to be fair about it.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Another point to discuss is perhaps the difference of opinion between dealers and collectors. For a dealer, transactions are more time sensitive whereas collectors may view the buying and selling process as a casual affair.

In my opinion, 24 hours is the maximum wait time allowed unless a prior agreement was reached.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a situation on the BST once where I received an offer and accepted it, then got no response from the potential buyer. After a few days, I accepted another offer for almost the same amount and posted that it was sold. After almost a week since making the offer, the original buyer PM'd me to say that they had been out of town for a non-emergency reason... if this is true, they basically made an offer then left for a week without even checking to see if it had been accepted and to arrange payment and shipping before they left. The coin sold anyway, for a good price, but it's stilll annoying when it happens.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24 hrs is more than reasonable
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24 hours. If somebody has interest they should follow through.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24 hours is reasonable.
    If something came up to keep the buyer away from the forum for so long after initiating a deal he should understand if you've moved on.

Also, for my money WTCG, is at the pinnacle of easy to deal with, fair, and professional BST posters.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once one commits to buying, I would think that these details would be confirmed within the hour. But my expectations are probably unrealistic. >>

+1 but 12 hours or overnight should be more than enough. If he/she doesn't leave word about when they will seal the deal, I'd move on quickly.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a situation on the BST once where I received an offer and accepted it, then got no response from the potential buyer. After a few days, I accepted another offer for almost the same amount and posted that it was sold. After almost a week since making the offer, the original buyer PM'd me to say that they had been out of town for a non-emergency reason... if this is true, they basically made an offer then left for a week without even checking to see if it had been accepted and to arrange payment and shipping before they left. The coin sold anyway, for a good price, but it's stilll annoying when it happens. >>

These days unless you are visiting an underground coal mine, there is no excuse not to check in and leave a message.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there. I'm usually not so forgiving. Until the buyer confirms with a simple agreement to the terms explicitly, I consider it fair game to any other buyer to come in and buy it out from under the first responder.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Wei,

If they can make up there mind or commit within 24 hours, then forget em. I also keep that in mind for any future dealings. Dealers have a business to run, cant wait on folks to think about whether or not they want it and lose a potential sale to somebody else. I use the same philosphy in the store.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    24 hours works for me. It's really frustrating when you have someone make some noise about something, then disappear; meanwhile another perfectly good buyer will express interest and want to pay immediately, but the first guy is off in PM limbo. Matter of fact, I think I'll start including something about this in my communications when selling.

"Item will be reserved for 24 hours from the time of this message, while payment details are arranged. If I have not heard from you in 24 hours, the item will be made available to the next interested party."
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another point to discuss is perhaps the difference of opinion between dealers and collectors. For a dealer, transactions are more time sensitive whereas collectors may view the buying and selling process as a casual affair.

In my opinion, 24 hours is the maximum wait time allowed unless a prior agreement was reached. >>

Another difference between collectors and dealers: the latter should probably explicitly list their terms and
    conditions. Pick some number of hours you are comfortable waiting, and state what that number is. Cut
    and dried. Meanwhile, if someone else inquires, you can give them a definite time as to when you'll have
    an answer about the coin's availability.

Just my $.02.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭
    I like 24 hours. Seems like more than enough. If I were selling on BST I would list this and other policies right in the
    listing.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    This has been discussed many times. 12-24 hours seems to be the accepted timeframe unless otherwise specified when working the deal out with the other party. If the seller "forgot" to bring it up before finalizing the deal, i'd say 24 hours then because as the seller, you forgot to mention it. Otherwise, 12 hours is my guideline now.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Once, when I had about a half dozen coins listed in one thread, I got a PM from a member, stating, "I would like to buy your ___ ______.
    I replied, inquiring how he would like to pay for it, and put the coin on hold - pending sale.

Never heard back from the person.

After waiting 2 days for a reply, I took the coin off "hold" and it sold shortly after that.

I must say that I was a little leery, right off the bat, given the wording of the PM.

After all, I "would like to buy" an MS67FH 1916 Standing Lib. or a $50 Pan Pac, but it ain't gonna happen! image

IMO, people like that are inconsiderate, and a real PITA! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a board member PM me telling me he wanted on a coin I was selling on the BST. We agreed on a price and I didn't hear from him for a couple of days. I even sent him a PM, but no response.

Someone else PMd me and made me an offer on it and I sold it to him. Needless to say, when the original buyer contacted me a couple days later and I told him that I sold it to someone else, he pitched a major beach. He was a real wiseass as well.

Cheers,

Bob

• << <i>48 hours, and that's still too long to wait. >>

• Agree with 24 hours - MAX.

I'v got a pile of true dimension 1"x11"x9' tongue and groove lumber that I want to get rid of. Guy told me he'd love to have it. I haul it out and stack it - over a week ago! It's killing a spot on my lawn and seriously bumming me out. (I don't feel I can give it to someone else until I can talk to the first guy that accepted.)

It's lame and rude.
  • 24hrs is more than sufficient time in my opinion. After this time has elapsed, the deal is dead.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like a similar thread towards the end of 2010, I still feel this is up to each person.
    I do try to get right back to folks, but there have been times when things have come up (work/family/issues) and I haven't gotten back for a day or two.
    If they sell it out from under me, then I live with it. If they don't want to wait a reasonable amount of time (define reasonable...it's different for everyone), I won't pitch a fit, but I will remember it.

The things I hate aren't the "disappearing buyer", but the "disappearing WTB poster" who never responds. I keep note of those and ignore them in the future. I don't sell, to sell, but when I do sell, I would at least appreciate a "sorry, not at this time" to folks I reach out to.
    For example, late last month, someone posted a WTB. I had some dupes and pinged them back in a PM. Never heard a peep. That's what I don't like.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I had a situation where I had accepted an offer and the buyer said he really wanted the item. After a few days and no response from him I sent another pm and he stated he still wanted it. After four more days he then wrote me back saying he had an emergency and did not want the item. Needless to say I will no longer do business with him on the bst.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Wei, hope all is well for you. The impatience of this board is underwhelming. Patience my friend.
    It doesn't seem one fits all. Many things happen and I go on a case by case. Some transactions are quick,
    some have taken months. So what?
    Mike
  • TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Just spell out your terms on your listings that way no one
    could accuse you of not being fair when it comes to a commitment?
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I had a member agree to buy, but need some time to gather the funds. I agreed to wait as I was happy with the price. Weeks later he still did not have the money, but was going to use his tax return. Then he got bammed. Then he contacted me under an alt, but still did not pay. Then the alt was bammed. Meanwhile, I quit actively selling. 10 months later, another meber contacted me saying someone was interested in coins I had for sale.... same person, using a go-between. Get into e-mail contact, and he proposes a much lower price than previously agreed. No deal.... here is our prior agreement. With just one coin removed, the $400 sale completed!

So, to answer, 72 hours is adequate.... but longer might work in the end!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Until he says the check is in the mail I don't take the listing down. --jerry
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I could see 48 hours. If an emergency came up, i could see where it may be over 24 hours.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I only say 72 hours because of a weekend. Other than that 24-48 hours.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    24 hrs is reasonable. Stretching it for a weekend makes sense too.

If it involves gold or silver coins that are routinely affected by that day's spot price, then the time limit should be by the next market open. I'm not going to allow someone to place a hold on a $20 Saint while they wait to see which way the market moves the following morning.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, as a buyer... It happens a lot. image
  • I think 48hrs-72 hrs is reasonable, but yes, as a seller, I'd prefer something quicker than that.

If you're really trying to move something along, it's probably a good thing to put in the terms of the agreement on BST. Not many post specific terms on BST and and they should. "If no response in 24 hrs, I'll pass it on to offer #2" or something along those lines.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a situation where I had accepted an offer and the buyer said he really wanted the item. After a few days and no response from him I sent another pm and he stated he still wanted it. After four more days he then wrote me back saying he had an emergency and did not want the item. Needless to say I will no longer do business with him on the bst.
    image >>

Yeah...his emergency was likely that he couldn't find someone to buy it from him, at a higher price, and so he didn't want it to flip.....

Teva said: Just spell out your terms on your listings that way no one
    could accuse you of not being fair when it comes to a commitment?

Totally agree! If they are spelled out in the listing, nice, short, and sweet, then there should be no issues, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Totally agree! If they are spelled out in the listing, nice, short, and sweet, then there should be no issues, right? image >>

yeah, like don't ask for pictures! image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have problems over there. 99% of my transactions are buys.
  • 24 to 48 hrs at a max and if they do not follow through add them to a "do not do business with again" list. Kinda like eBay's blocked list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file