Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it real? Grade? 1897-S Quarter Centered MM

Just grabbed a bunch of walkers and a couple barber quarters from the local B&M for melt, and I found this. Is it a real MM? The rims are mark free, don't appear to be messed with. The reason I ask is, I've never found a "semi-key" like this... or cherry-picked anything before. What would you grade it? It's exciting! image

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not 100% sure about the authenticity, but it looks genuine to me. I would grade it G4.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be the "rare" centered mint mark variety!

Easy G-6 (I can see two letters in LIBERTY)
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me like it was cleaned at one point, but it also appears real and is the very scarce center mintmark variety for the date. In this grade there is little to any premium attached to this mintmark position, but it is still a tough coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    The light scracthes on the obverse tell me they are going to bag it due to cleaning image. Hopefully im wrong or you keep it raw.
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    The coin pictured here: http://caimages.collectors.com/coinfacts/large/14966431.jpg exhibits hairlines that seem to be to be an old cleaning, but has since retoned. (That is on coinfacts as a G6, btw)

• << <i>The light scracthes on the obverse tell me they are going to bag it due to cleaning image. Hopefully im wrong or you keep it raw. >>

I'll probably keep it raw while I own it. May get it gennied if I go to sell it. We'll see.

How rare/scarce is the centered mm?
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    g4, looks ok to me
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Would you tell the dealer that you pulled this out of the junk bin? Just for conversations sake, or just leave it?
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you tell the dealer that you pulled this out of the junk bin? Just for conversations sake, or just leave it? >>

No. No reason to do this.

Congratulations on your find! The centered mintmark is found on only about 3% or so of the 1897-S quarters.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Nice find. At this grade level a minimal premium but perhaps a bit.

I wouldn't be worried about saying something.

Not all dealers feel the same but if you had more knowledge then I and picked me congratulations. I'm happy for you and I probably made some profit as well.

It's just too difficult and too much to remember to know all the varieties.

Congratulations on your find.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file