Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Roosevelt grading tips needed

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone!

Just bought a few original BU rolls slightly above melt from a longtime dealer and very good friend who's certain they really are original and unsearched. Now I need to learn some basics about how to grade them. Can anyone point me at some on-line links that will help? Or should I just pretend they're miniature Walkers in terms of marks and concentrate on lustre?

Thanks in advance for any help.
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    it might be easier to pretend they are walkers, then Mercury dimes, then Roosevelt dimes

not sure of the years/mms you got but you need to be proficient at FB - weak areas usually on the right side of torch if close

you need to be able to tell strong strike
    you need to be able to decide blazing luster

and then check CPG for varieties

then see what they are selling for and the cost cut-off

you may want to buy some PCGS MS67s off eBay for examples

I gave up Roosevelts and stuck with Jeffersons, which I have had better luck screening

(although they seem to have 'tightened up' the FS designation)
  • Dennis, its really hard to make an MS67. I think you get the FB, it's not hard, either it is or is not. I you think it might FB it won't, you will know it. For MS67, especially since every reverse needs to be looked at for FB status, the torches get scrutinized fairly hard. You need blazing luster, all of them will have luster, but it really needs to be that great smooth satin and really stand out. The coin has to be squeaky clean, if you can see it with the naked eye forget about it, it has to be really clean under magnification and perfect to the naked eye.

that said depending on the date 58, 59 and some of the early 60's are worth getting graded in the MS66FB range.