Home U.S. Coin Forum

So my 7 year old nephew said he wants to collect coins!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
Well actually I asked him if he likes some of the coins I show him, and he said yes! I asked him if he wants to collect with me, and he said, um...ok image

So then I asked him what his favorite type of coin is, and his reply was dimes because they are small, shiny, and even though they are small, are worth more than some bigger coins! I am planning on buying an album for him, but wasnt sure if I should do merc dimes or roosevelt. I know some merc dimes can get rather pricey, and they would be hard for him to find in rolls or in change. What do you guys recommend?

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious starting point would be a Whitman album of Roosies that your nephew can find from circulation, in my opinion. A collector is born.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Roosevelts. Something that he can fill from pocket finds is going to be a LOT more fun for him. Feed him a <65 every now and then to fill that half of the album and he'll be set. The cool thing is that the collection can actually be completed.
  • Congratulations... I wish my kids would show some interest. I agree with the others start him on Roosevelt dimes. He can fill most of the album holes at his local bank.

Tom
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Roosevelts at all, are there any key dates? Which album is better? Dansco or Whitman?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    At seven, go with State Quarters. The other key here is that it is very likely that at some point the "collection" will be raided for a trip to the corner store for pop or candy, or the Good Humor Man... I would hate to see the Mercs (or silver Roosies) go bye-bye.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend silver coins, and if he likes dimes, Mercs. When TrainNut was starting, Randy (topdollarpaid) would let him paw through the silver buckets at his shop and he picked off some rather nice XF-AU walkers for his set at junk silver melt prices. After time, if the YN decides to move on, he can sell off his silver with a good chance at a profit. THis gives him lots of chances to look at coins to recognize damage, cleaning, toning, etc. Of course, you will need a friendly dealer that buys silver coins off the street to co-op on that venture.

It's kind of a stealth savings plan for him, and a lot of fun too.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's 7 and is impressed with shiny, not intrinsic bullion value. There are coins older than his father (statistically driven demographic assumption) that are clad. To a 7-year-old, those are ancient enough to impress. A Whitman dime folder and a trip to the bank for a couple rolls of dimes would be worth just as much to him as silver, and you wouldn't have to worry about him spending the silver ones should he lose interest in a couple months (he's 7). There's plenty of enjoyment and enough he can learn to become an accomplished collector (for a 7-year-old) without spending much money. If he's fortunate enough to find a silver coin in a bank roll, just hope it's after he's appreciated how unlikely that is, because that will make it more cool and exciting.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Are you a cheap Uncle or a loving Uncle... if cheap, do Roosies... if loving, do BOTH! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • I wrote a thread about my 6 y/o grandson starting a collection, and we started with Lincoln cents. He's gone through so many cents and about has the 2nd book done (memorials). We're going to a coin show next week so he can look for wheaties. He also has a big interest in Buffalo Nickels, so I need to find him an album for that. He has the Red Book about memorized and before Buffalo Nickels, his eyes fell on the gold Buffaloes... I had to direct his attention back to the nickel section!

I really recommend the Roosies so he can find them from pocket change. As he sees his accomplishment in filling a folder, perhaps he'll be drawn to other coins as well. Let him see your different types, or let him go through an old Red Book. I hope he stays interested, I love seeing the little ones become YNs! At 6 and 7 I think they are VYM - (V = very)!

edited for spelling
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Will start with roosies and see how his interest goes. I'm not sure if he will have the attention span to go to a show right now.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy him a Red Book, too!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy him any coins just yet... Get him Kevin Flynn's "The Authoritative Reference on Roosevelt Dimes" book first and see how he responds image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Yeah, I always loved looking through the red books when I was little.

I like the idea of the book of modern roosies. You can get 'em at the bank. Maybe state quarters too if he's still interested after awhile. And the new national park quarters might be fun because they're actively being released. Great way to learn about the parks too.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possible solutions:
    1) give him a time-out
    2) psychotherapy
    3) prayer circle
    4) exorcism
    5) per another current thread: Ex-Lax.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Go with clad Roosevelts ot State Quarters. Coin collecting is like fishing or golf, it can't be taught. One either loves it or has no use for it at all. I had a love for coins as young as 7 and you should be able to tell if he has the bug or not in a short time. If the bug is there then maybe go to silver or a more difficult set. Good luck with the nephew.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he wants small, shiny, and worth more than some bigger coins, and he is related to you, you should help him do $1 gold pieces image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    my son, 8 has also shown intrest. he likes the number 10, so dimes were the obvious start point.
    he also is more intrested in the look than value.
    he has the merc dimes i had collected, mostly from change, as well.

his allowance is paid in dimes.
    he has traded the tooth fairy's ikes for dimes.

his whitman album is nearly complete.

he has also been collecting the 2010 (the 10 again) shield pennies... only the shiny ones.

the local B&M has given him a few large copper coins which he likes too.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file