Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

West Point Commem. Grading Results

I ordered 10 of each (Proof and Uncirculated), picked out the 3 best of each and overnighted them to PCGS. All of these coins were flawless under a 10x loupe, at least to my eye. I was hoping that a 70 or 2 would be in the group. Here are the results from PCGS:

1 21145456 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial PR69DC
1 21145457 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial PR69DC
1 21145458 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial PR69DC
2 21145459 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial MS69
2 21145460 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial MS70
2 21145461 2002-W S$1 West Point Bicentennial MS69

I have NEVER gotten a 70 on ANY submission before. These were received by PCGS on the 20th and just got finished today.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY cool to get an MS70! It will be fascinating to see how these pops and prices evolve. It should also be fascinating for you to compare your MS69s to your MS70 to determine what the difference might be.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    WOW super duper congratulations! Lucky you... Do you have a Modern Commem set ??
  • Options
    EXCELLENT!

Congratulations! The new MS70 Guru!image You must be very nervous about having that baby laying around so I will volunteer to hold on to it for you.image

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    congrats on the perfect coin!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Congratulations Greg on the great results on your West Point Dollars! I sent 5 Uncirculated 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic $5 commemoratives to PCGS from the Baltimore show, and have my fingers crossed for an MS70 also. I went through an order of 10 coins and picked out the ones I thought would grade MS69. Of the 5 sent I believe 1 has a shot at 70. The order was received on the 27th, but is now awaiting verification. I'll let everyone know the results when I get them.
    Michael
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the MS70; I was beginning to believe that they weren't giving out that grade anymore.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg -- following-up on Mark's question, what distinguishes the 69s from the 70?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -About $1,000.00?

peacockcoins

• Options
    The difference I see, besides the price image, is that the 70 has a better strike , and absolutely NO marks anywhere on the coin, even under 10X. The 69s I received have 1 or 2 very tiny what I will call frost breaks about the size of a pin head on the coin, that can only be seen under the correct angle under a light.

To me this coin is a true 70, the first one I have ever seen that I can say that about...not that I have seen that many.

Greg
  • Options
    So someone would pay $1000.00 more for brand new coin just because it doesn't have a tiny mark that requires a 10X to see.

PT Barnum was a man ahead of his time.
  • Options

Coynclecter,

you need to move over for the traffic might pass you up.Wondercoin had awhole bunch(14) for sale yesterday,did you get one? Neither did I and I thought I was fast to respond.....gary
    The Victorian Collection
    EMAIL:
    relictrader@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    So they've been out for a couple of months, one dealer just sold 14 and clevegreg found 2 out his 10 sets (20%). This sounds like a real rarity about to happen.

Yes, I'll move over as fast as I can.
  • Options
    Greg, CONGRATULATIONS!!image There's just something about a PERFECT coin !image Looks like the mint and PCGS was smileing on you.

dave
    Love those toned Washingtons