Home U.S. Coin Forum

Error Coin? Found in a roll... Need some error experts to chime in

1971 D Kennedy Half found in a roll of halves. Looks like it was struck through something.

imageimage
Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• He looks like he's had his head sewn back on.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda interesting, but it looks like PMD to me.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's kinda interesting, but it looks like PMD to me. >>

That was my first thought but only for a second...after a closer inspection you can see the flow lines in the indents.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Someone put that thing between a vise
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it would have been put in a vise. There are no marks on the reverse. Almost looks like something was done and then it was wire brushed or something. Kinda interesting though.
    imageimage

It wasn't wire brushed... it has flow lines from the die running into the areas.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, that's cool. I looked through $80 worth of halves yesterday and all I got
    for my trouble was smelly and dirty hands.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

<< <i>Dang, that's cool. I looked through $80 worth of halves yesterday and all I got
    for my trouble was smelly and dirty hands.

bobimage >>

I have had my share of smelly dirty hands too! Try going through a few boxes of lincolns...

This coin doesn't have a mark to speak of on the reverse side... Still waiting for errorsoncoins or fredW to chime in...

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the scans only, I'd say it's
    PMD.

There's nothing I'm familiar with, or
    aware of, that would cause the look
    of the coin during the minting process.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • PMD, no doubt about it!!!!!
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.

<< <i>Based on the scans only, I'd say it's
    PMD.

There's nothing I'm familiar with, or
    aware of, that would cause the look
    of the coin during the minting process. >>

Is there any chance you would like to see it in hand? If it is not PMD I will split the profit with you, if it is PMD just spend it.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Thanks everyone for your help! Usually I am pretty good on figuring out what happened on a coin as far as errors go... Thanks again guys!

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The bulge on the reverse (like a chopped marked Trade dollar) indicates the coin was no where near the coin dies when this damaged happen.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • The coin looks like PMD to me. The obverse spears to be pushed inwards, and the back looks like it was pushed outwards, which indicates PMD.

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For one it doesn't look like any of the Reverse design on the Obverse. I would also think with that much pressure, there would have been some clashing of the Obverse to the reverse also.
  • BobSavBobSav Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    Someone wacked the poor guy again, definitely post mint damage.

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    It was obviously someone's pocket piece that was somehow involved in the county fairs combine demolition derby.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was obviously someone's pocket piece that was somehow involved in the county fairs combine demolition derby.

image >>

You've been to Lind, WA?

<< <i>For one it doesn't look like any of the Reverse design on the Obverse. I would also think with that much pressure, there would have been some clashing of the Obverse to the reverse also. >>

That would be a clashed die, I thought this possibly could have been a strike through, ie metal shavings of some sort or something. Oh well!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file