Home U.S. Coin Forum

STONE's much anticipated, although slightly overdue, FUN show report

Well, the FUN show ended about a week and a half ago and I am probably the last person on these boards to report on it - and I do apologize. CoinKid got your hopes up very early on as to my success at the show and all the luck I was getting. But after the show I was visiting some relatives for a few days in southern Florida, then I had to start my last semester as an undergraduate, followed by a last minute trip this weekend.

SOOOO, now I am finally able to report on the show.

I thought I would skip through all of the unnecessary bits and skip basically to what I picked up, and share some short stories about each of the NewPs.

I gave the forum a preview of my "Favorite Purchase of 2010" back at the end of December. It was a cropped-down image of an 1829 Curl 2 Dime but only the date was showing. I picked that coin up earlier in 2010 and was holding it hostage from public awareness until I had it graded....and I had to wait more than 6 months to get to a coin show (FUN) where PCGS was going to be set up with grading! So, I was quite excited to have it FINALLY graded, but the ensuing 24 hours made waiting on the grade nerve-racking. I was expecting my example to grade VF-35 (with a 30% chance at EF-40), which would make it the single finest known of ~30 known pieces (the PCGS pops state an AU-53 was graded, but no one has ever seen it to verify its existence). Otherwise, the next most problem free example is a lone VF-30 (which was dipped to an unnaturally light color), followed by a single F-15. Most specimens in existence are found in G or VG, and approximately half the known examples exhibit some sort of damage....so it's a real treat to find a problem free piece in high end VF/EF grade.

I had the coin submitted by Glenn Holsonbake on Wednesday and I picked it up the following Thursday. After a restless night's sleep, and dragging out the coin show on Thursday until 3 PM when I could pick up the coin, it finally graded!!!

Here's a pre-grade image I took:
imageimage

And here are Todd's images:

Well, needless to say I was psyched and relieved it graded VF-35. It's such a great coin and a coin I really never expected to own.

Moving on...
During the show on Thursday, while waiting for the Curl 2 to grade, I bought 1 nice 1820 Bust Dime because it was a nice type coin for a good price. Dimeman was walking around with his oversized and heavy Bust Dime book. I checked out the die marriage and it was one I needed (there's 13 known die marriages for the date). Well, it turns out that my example is the VERY rare JR-12 die marriage which is an R6. And, from the recent Bust Dime census, I can confidently say that my example is in the Top 10 of problem free examples, grading around VF-20/25.

Here's Todd's images:

After all the excitement on Thursday, I didn't expect Friday to get any better. I bought three other pre-1830 Bust Dimes because they were die marriages I needed, but I also bought an 1800's Draped Bust Dime because it had a peculiar "cud" on the obverse. I asked Dimeman for his Bust Dime book again to check out the die marriage. I was immediately puzzled that I could not figure out the die marriage even with the detail remaining. I concluded that my piece was a new die marriage, and paraded it around asking for opinions from other collectors. I received some skepticism, but also some agreements that it appeared to be a new die marriage. Well, after looking at the coin some more, it is not a new die marriage. Rather it is an 1802 JR-2 (R5), which is still alright because it is the second lowest mintage of the series at less than 11k coined. I am slightly disappointed it is not a new die marriage, but I'm still fascinated about the Cud like object on the obverse from 4-6, which also received differing opinions as to what it could be.

Here's Todd's images:

Not expecting to find anything on Saturday, I came across to one final dealer minutes before I needed to leave for the airport. We talked coins for a while, showing each other some of our cool pieces, and he ended up selling me a Triple Struck Capped Bust Dime from 1821. Not a pretty coin (soder removed and the reverse was cleaned up like a scratched mirror), but the error is cool. Sorry, no pics yet, I don't have good photo equipment with me at school!

In all, I had a pretty good show, but more importantly I enjoyed myself and spent more than enough time with some great forum members - you know who you are image

Comments

• USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Some very nice newps, that curly 2 is a beauty!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Very cool newps! Worth the wait for the report. Congrats!!
  • NICE! Very nice news.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, congrats on your finds! image
  • Put that bad boy on your registry. It deserves it.image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Winston! Well done!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report.... well worth the wait.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that Stone (Winston) had an unbelievable show at FUN. It is totally unbelievable that he found such a nice 1829 curl 2 and while waiting around for the pic of it comes across the 1820 JR12!!!! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy (except maybe me), but someday I'll find my curl 2 (when pigs fly). Right now I just have to be happy being Stone's pack mule and carry around the Bust Dime book while he happens across the scarest Bust Dimes to be found.

I still can't believe it! Great job Winston...you have most of the tuff ones now all you have to do is pick up all the common ones. imageimage
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Winston and a BIG CONGRATS on finding those rare newps!!!

I agree, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy image
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    It's about time you posted this!!! Lol.

CONGRATS BUDDY!!!!

-Paul

P.S. YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the great finds.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I have a feeling, due to Stone's modesty that most aren't aware of the 1829's value and then couple that with the general price range that Stone picked it up for is UNREAL! >>

True, it was a pretty good cherrypick, but I appreciate the coin for its history and rarity more than I do its monetary value.

BTW - Realone, I do have some cr@ppy pics of the Triple Struck Bust Dime. I'll try to get you those this weekend.

Thanks again for all the positive comments on my FUN show report, I really appreciate it image
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a feeling, due to Stone's modesty that most aren't aware of the 1829's value and then couple that with the general price range that Stone picked it up for is UNREAL! >>

True, it was a pretty good cherrypick, but I appreciate the coin for its history and rarity more than I do its monetary value.

BTW - Realone, I do have some cr@ppy pics of the Triple Struck Bust Dime. I'll try to get you those this weekend.

Thanks again for all the positive comments on my FUN show report, I really appreciate it image >>

I want those lousy pics too, Winston!

-Paul
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Your curl base 2 is now the plate coin for that type on Coinfacts!! Way to go!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That's a great find.
    Very nice looking coin too.
  • Great score!

<< <i>Your curl base 2 is now the plate coin for that type on Coinfacts!! Way to go! >>

Wow, well now I need to check this out image

I didn't know if PCGS would have photographed this coin at the show or not...now it looks like they did!

Edited to add: just saw it. It's interesting how the three different photo's (Mine, Todd's, PCGS's) can have such different looks.
    I will be slightly bias, but I feel that my picture captures the color more accurately and Todd's captures the best detail!
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

STONE -

Again, congratulations on your sucessful FUN show.
    I was so pleased we were able to spend time together
    and thanks for letting us show off your 1829 Curly Two
    in our case. I was hoping I'd have a big ol' check for you
    but my asking price was tantamount to saying NFS !!

Have a great last semester in undergraduate school.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the article(s) for the JR Journal are off to Brad K? image
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice going Stone, PM me with the price you paid for the 1829 so I can fall out of my chair now. Congrats!image
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was expecting my example to grade VF-35 (with a 30% chance at EF-40), which would make it the single finest known of ~30 known pieces (the PCGS pops state an AU-53 was graded, but no one has ever seen it to verify its existence). >>

I applaud you on your truly remarkable cherrypick. A definite "You Suck" moment for sure.

What I don't understand is how the existence of an AU53 is in doubt or unverified. Don't the PCGS pops only include PCGS graded examples? What other proof of it's existence is needed unless PCGS graded the alleged AU53 piece sight unseen? I am only asking because I am a bit confused why it's existence is discounted. Maybe the owner chooses to stay anonymous for various reasons.
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, nice to meet you there.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done indeed, Winston - and I agree with Realone - you've earned every bit of your success do to the effort you've put in studying
    these early series and your persistance in searching for the tough die varieties.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was expecting my example to grade VF-35 (with a 30% chance at EF-40), which would make it the single finest known of ~30 known pieces (the PCGS pops state an AU-53 was graded, but no one has ever seen it to verify its existence). >>

I applaud you on your truly remarkable cherrypick. A definite "You Suck" moment for sure.

What I don't understand is how the existence of an AU53 is in doubt or unverified. Don't the PCGS pops only include PCGS graded examples? What other proof of it's existence is needed unless PCGS graded the alleged AU53 piece sight unseen? I am only asking because I am a bit confused why it's existence is discounted. Maybe the owner chooses to stay anonymous for various reasons. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    curl base 2!

Wow you SUPER SUCK!!

and congrats on a great find. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

What I don't understand is how the existence of an AU53 is in doubt or unverified. Don't the PCGS pops only include PCGS graded examples? What other proof of it's existence is needed unless PCGS graded the alleged AU53 piece sight unseen? I am only asking because I am a bit confused why it's existence is discounted. Maybe the owner chooses to stay anonymous for various reasons. >>

image >>

You bring up an excellent point - "Who says the AU-53 example doesn't exist?"
    As you suggest, it could just be hinding in an old time collection, from someone who doesn't want it known publically. What I would want to know next is when PCGS graded that piece, which would be easily found from their printed PCGS Grade Reports (or whatever they're called - in those binders). Finding this out would point to how long ago it was graded - whether that's significant, I don't know.

Many JRCS members believe this is just an error on the PCGS submission - of which there are many other anamoloies. No one in the club is said to have seen the piece or know where it exists. So there are many doubts of its existence, but it would be great if the piece did exist!
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

You bring up an excellent point - "Who says the AU-53 example doesn't exist?"
    As you suggest, it could just be hinding in an old time collection, from someone who doesn't want it known publically. What I would want to know next is when PCGS graded that piece, which would be easily found from their printed PCGS Grade Reports (or whatever they're called - in those binders). Finding this out would point to how long ago it was graded - whether that's significant, I don't know.

Many JRCS members believe this is just an error on the PCGS submission - of which there are many other anamoloies. No one in the club is said to have seen the piece or know where it exists. So there are many doubts of its existence, but it would be great if the piece did exist! >>

Thanks for your response. Whether or not it does exist, it doesn't take anything away from your discovery..image A lot of pieces have to fall into place in order for this type of success to happen. Not your typical result. Great job.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Congrats Stone!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes stuff gets buried for decades. Back when I was at ANACS (till Summer of '84) we had in a Turban Head $10 that had been struck as a full brockage with the obverse incused into the reverse, which the coiner then stuck back in the press and hit six more times to obliterate the brockage. I could count all seven strikes.

We made up a nice certificate and returned it to the owner. Fred Weinberg has told me that the piece has never reappeared on the market. Does it exist?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭
    Winston, Great score! It will be hard pressed to have a better week than that. The only thing you missed out on was the powerball numbers. YOU SUCK!

What do you guys think
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific report!
    (And a really cool COIN thread).
    Glad to see your study and dedication paying off Stone. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

I just wanted to add this other NewP I picked up on the last day of the show.
    It's a Triple Struck "Railroad Rim" Bust Dime from 1821. Notice the long arcing dentils across the right half of the coin.
    I'm not showing a pic of the reverse - it aint pretty image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file