Home U.S. Coin Forum

Website Advice

I will be doing work for a local coin dealer who is nationally known to design a website.

As he is at a show probably every other weekend, and selling constantly.
Is it bad to have just a listing of Picture, Year/MM, Description, Grade, TPG/Raw, Price, without a shopping cart and a "contact to order"?

I am hesitant to have a shopping cart, because I don't want something to sell twice.

I have been looking at some websites to get some ideas...
Would it be best to have a whole page dedicated to one type... whether there be 5 coins or 100 coins of that type? Or should it be broken down in to pages.
I like pages because of organization, but I think I lean towards just listing them all on one page, so you can keep scrolling and not have to guess what page something is on.

I stressed the importance of pictures, and nothing should be listed without a picture.

Is there any other advice you have?

Thanks!

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think a shopping cart is important, so long as there is clear contact information to inquire and make a purchase.

I like websites that allow you to select coins by denomination or other logical category. I do not want to have to sift through the 3 cent nickels (who collects those, anyway?) and bust quarters to get to the southern gold.

• One of the best sites I go to is " cheapslabs.com " Alan has got the easiest working
    site I have ever bought from and also he is one of the best dealers around. The only
    thing about the site is that the pictures need improvement but the workings are top notch.
  • Right.
    What I would have is each type have it's own page.

Colonials
    Half Cents
    Large Cents
    Indians... and so on. But would it be OK to have all of that type listed on one page?

Say there are 10 colonials, have them all on a page. And say 75 half cents all on their own page.
    Is this acceptable?
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I like to have all the coins listed on one page, i.e. colonials, half-cent, cent, blah blah blah the rest.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Anaconda just posted a lot of free advice for you.Ananconda advice on coin websites
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Right.
    What I would have is each type have it's own page.

Colonials
    Half Cents
    Large Cents
    Indians... and so on. But would it be OK to have all of that type listed on one page?

Say there are 10 colonials, have them all on a page. And say 75 half cents all on their own page.
    Is this acceptable? >>

I think this is perfectly acceptable. But if you have a category that ordinarily has very few coins, say 3 or fewer, it might be wise to combine it with another category.

As far as pictures are concerned, this is a good idea, but there should be some minimum level below which pictures are not needed. Do you really need to have a picture of every date of American Silver Eagle in order to sell them? And is it worth taking a picture of a coin you are selling for $15?

The initial design is very important, as it is very costly and time-consuming to do it over. So the two of you should take adequate time to plan exactly what the website should look like and how it should operate. Time spent up front on this will save a lot of time later on. For the last modification to my website, my web consultant and I took about 3 months off and on working on the design. Then the technical person took over and did his thing. At the end, I had 99% of what I wanted, the other 1% is being added.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file