Home U.S. Coin Forum

Couple Misses this Question on Million Dollar Money Drop about Coins

I am watching with my wife the show Million Dollar Money Drop television show. A couple had this question .... Which US President is on the dime? Is it Lincoln, Kennedy, Jefferson, or Roosevelt. The couple put all $1 million dollars on ........ Jefferson!!! The woman was positive it was Jeffeson. Her husband had second thoughts (He knew Lincoln was on the penny at least).
How would you like her making change for you.

My wife has just finished laughing for 5 minutes at the wife's response to losing all $1 million dollars on her answer. She said, "She just made my night."

I hope none of you got it wrong.

Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)

Comments

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    From the looks of it, her husband knew she was wrong all along...
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I learned which presidents were on the coins in kindergarten...long before I even knew what coin collecting was! doh!
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the looks of it, her husband knew she was wrong all along... >>

Ha, When I was in kindergarten, Winged Liberty (Mercury) was on the dime and Striding Liberty was on the half. Yes, tired old abe and tired old Jefferson and just-as-tired old Washington were on the Cent, Nickel, and half. There was no dollar coin back then.

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty easy question for a million dollars.

• << <i>That's a pretty easy question for a million dollars. >>

Its the first of 7 questions , they fell at the first hurdle spectacularly.
  • That segment should be re-named---"Duh million dollar toilet flush". LOFL
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a pretty easy question for a million dollars. >>

Ya know, I'm not sure any question for a million dollars is "easy." Unless you are a billionaire and that is chump change.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny. Most folks think it's Eisenhower.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, tired old abe and tired old Jefferson and just-as-tired old Washington were on the Cent, Nickel, and half. >>

Good thing you weren't asked what denomination coin Washington is on!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows Miss Liberty Seated is on the dime.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I'll bet the husband cries every time he sees a dime now.
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Wow! You really don't need to be a coin collector to know that one. Anyone that lives that long with their head in the sand deseves to lose the mil.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how well married couples are psychologically screened for that show. A conciliatory, "Well, at least you have each other" from the host isn't always going to cut it.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would Charles Van Doren have answered the question correctly?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I dare say that many if not most Americans couldn't name who was on what coin. As long as it spends they don't care. Same thing with the different reverse coins from the last several years. I know many people who when shown a state quarter say they never realized the program existed.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • who is this Jefferson that you speak of? image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll bet the husband cries every time he sees a dime now. >>

Not likely. They would have had to get the next six questions correct and they get progressively harder. Very few contestants win the million bucks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

<< <i>I'll bet the husband cries every time he sees a dime now. >>

Not likely. They would have had to get the next six questions correct and they get progressively harder. Very few contestants win the million bucks. >>

No couple has ever won the million , last night's winner's took 300k.I think RogerRamjet got it spot on , the wife railroaded that guy speaking over him and dictating what answer was to be given.As delightful as it was to watch i also think the guy will have a hard time getting past that.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    they must live ATS
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they must live ATS >>

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only collector of Jefferson dimes on this site ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file